Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little help for a newcomer. . .

Hog Euker
Hog Euker Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my first A couple of times when time on this board so please be gentle ;*) I tried the search but when I cliked on the archived post I got a "Page not availble" heading. Anyway, I am going to cook some steaks this evening and I prefer not to marinade my meat. Is there anyone who could give me some tips about seasoning my steaks and the best way to cook them. In the past I put the steaks on the egg @ 500 degrees. I did notice some have posted a higer temperature preference when cooking steaks. I am interested in learning more about this. [p]Thanks

Comments

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Hog Euker,[p]Welcome to the Forum. [p]Everyone has their preferences. I like to apply course Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to both sides. Let come to room temp before placing on egg. I usually keep the egg between 600-700 degrees. I adjust time per side and dwell time based on thickness of the steak. Experimenting is the best teacher.[p]Carl T
  • View?u=1386188&a=10352463&p=35579524
    <p />Hog Euker, A few eggers here like Montreal Steak Seasoning. I sprinkle it on my steaks, spray extra virgin olive oil on both sides and let steaks set at room temp. for 1 hour before cooking.
    I heat BGE up to 650. Sear each side of the steak 2-3 minutes and then close both vents and let dwell. Depending on how you like your steak medium-done-rare will depend on dwell time and searing time.
    Good luck.[p]CWM

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Hog Euker, Car T gives good advice - I typically pick about the 700 degree mark and do the steaks at about 3/3/5 (minutes) - only use salt and pepper. Welcome to the forum and Good Luck!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    STEAKS
    <p />Hog Euker,
    Great advice already. These were done at 750 or so, 1.5 rotate 1.5, flip, 3, close egg, well about 4 minutes. With 1.5 inch steaks that should give you pink, not deep red. Dwell less, or eliminate dwell for rare. I like a good mustard slather, and a sprinkling of kosher salt and cracked pepper. Occasionally char-crust. The mustard makes a nice crust, and you can't really taste the mustard.[p]have fun, and don't forget to burp your egg when working with turbo temps!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Nature Boy, STOP POSTING THAT PIC!!!!!, I use a full roll of paper towl just mopping up the drool on my keyboard everytime you post that pic!!!!![p]Roger~

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Mop,[p]I couldnt agree with you more Mop. Every time he trots that pic across the forum it makes me want to go out and buy some ribeyes and cook 'em. But, today at lunch I ran to the local grocery store, ribs on sale for $1.29 a pound in the family packs. Just had to pick up a few pounds of those. Ribs on the egg this weekend.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    Thanks guys. Those were big ole sirloin steaks I got from Costco. A bit more firm and less marbled than ribeyes and porterhouses, but loaded with flavor.[p]Enjoy the ribs!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    Nature Boy,[p]Yeah, as I looked (drooled) at them some more, I was guessing strips, would've been wrong twice. Oh well, they sure look purdy. The ribs arent baby backs unfortunately, just some pork ribs, but they are some of the meatiest ribs I've seen in a long time. I bought two big family packs, three racks in one and 4 in the other. I'll split them up into single rack packages this evening and have some ribs to cook over this seemingly long and endless cold spell we're having. Looking forward to the weekend now.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    We've been eating mosty babybacks, but recently they are at $3.99/lb here!! [p]So I opted for spares last time. Indirect at 250 for 6 hours, and they were killer. In fact I like them better than babybacks right now! Well, I better pull myself away from this computer.[p]cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,[p]You guys have been a greate help. What a friendly and helpful board! I do have one more question. I have never burped my egg before. How do I do this? Do I use a bib? ;8)
  • Nature Boy
    Hog Euker, we are all here to assist.[p]I suppose you could use a bib for the burping![p]When you close the vents to dwell the steak after your high temp searing, the situation is especially volatile. Yanking the dome open after the fire has been oxygen-starved for any period of time will almost surely give you a fireball to the face. Open the top vent first, then the bottom, and then open the dome an inch or two before slowly opening all the way. And it pays to be on your toes.[p]The fireballs are fun to watch if you are into fire.
    Enjoy
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    Nature Boy,[p]"Well, I better pull myself away from this computer."[p]Just cant stay away from us can you NB?[p]Got anything grilling now?[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    sprinter,
    yeah. I'm having a really tough time staying away. Really slow workwise.[p]I have some sliced pork tenderloin strips marinating in a mixture of teryaki, sesame oil, peanut oil, lemongrass, garlic, lots of pepper. Gonna skewer those babies, and grill em up, and serve with some stuffed zuchinni I'll do in the oven.[p]You cookin?

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,[p]ROFLMBO[p]You sound like my dentist. Last time he went to drilling on me I asked him if there should be smoke coming from my mouth? He made a similar comment about fire and fun to watch. Anyway, thanks for the great tips. I can't wait to toss those steaks on tonight.

• Nature Boy,
    You really know how to get my taste buds watering! They are in high gear right now! And I have to settle for good old fashioned Spaghetti! :-))) Oh well, I guess "man does not live by "Q" alone"! :-)))[p]Have a good one NB! And a better New Year, if that is possible![p]Dr. Chicken[p]p.s.: Nice pictures! Nice steaks too!

• Mop,
    DITTO![p]Dr. Chicken