Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

top round roast 2.5lbs looking for recipe

Options
BeantownEgger
BeantownEgger Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a fairly new grill enthusiast and I just purchased a top round roast to attempt my first roast on the egg. The problem is there is too many different names for these types of steaks and I'm not sure about what recipe to really try to compliment the type of meat I purchased. I want it to be perfect ya know. any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    BeantownEgger,[p]I don't know how I'm helping a Bostonian but being a Yankee fan since 1969. But I guess grilling crosses all lines - LOL!! What you can do is make Pit Beef. Look at the link from Wessb. Just be sure of two things; take the meat off at 140 degrees or so, don't want to overcook that thing and second, slice the meat paper thing or as thin as poosible. It's great on buns with some BBQ sauce. Good luck......let us know how it turns out[p]Howard

[ul][li]http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/pitbeef/pit_beef.htm[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    BeantownEgger,[p]I cooked 3 Top Round "London Broils" today after marinading overnight in Roasted Red Peper & Garlic Italian Dressing and 1 in Beer.[p]I used Montreal steak seasoning (waiting for Dizzy Pig shipment) and little Worster on one that soaked in beer.[p]I used T-Rex method: Searde at 700 for about 2.5 - 3 min per side: let rest for 15-20 (and roasted my veggies [squash, red peppers & zuccini]; cooked around 400 for about 4 min per side (but used internal therm to check and took off at about 130-135 and covered in foil and rested for about 10-15 before slicing. YUMMY[p]6 lbs were gobbled by 4 adults and two children (9& 11 who said they can't wait til I do them again) There may be enough for a small sandwich for lunch![p]
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    **** Roast Beef ****
    5lbs Rump Roast (tip portion) or Top Round

Rub:
    2 tablespoon Turbinado sugar
    2 tablespoon crushed black pepper
    1 tablespoon Vegeta (Croetian seasoning salt)
    1 tablespoon Lowery's Seasoning salt
    1 tablespoon Dizzy Pig® Cowlick Rub
    injected with this mix:
    1/2 cup cold water
    1/8 cup soy
    1/2 teaspoon fresh ground ginger
    1 teaspoon powdered onion
    1/4 teaspoon powdered garlic
    mix the above well to incorporate.
    Rub rump roast the night before & refrigerate.
    Inject with above mix before putting on Big green Egg .
    Set the BBQ GURU: Pit temperature 250°F & Roast temperature:125°F
    when the done alarm sounds, remove the roast off the Egg & allow to sit for 45min before slicing thin against the grain with an electric knife.
    Serve cold on Sandwhiches or as a dinner with mashed potatoes & green beans.
    Wine to go with this: a heary red wine e.g.
    Chateaunufdupape, Barolo, Cabernet Sauvignon or a Shiraz.

note:Vegeta is available online at such places as: http://www.greekolivewarehouse.com/vegpod22bag.html
    and can be used for many dishes.
  • BeantownEgger
    Options
    Legally Blind Egghead,
    thanx for the suggestion, I'll let you know how it turns out.

• BeantownEgger
    Options
    Howard,
    Hey I appreciate the suggestion, even from a yankees fan. thanx

• Texas Geezer
    Options
    BeantownEgger, I tried exactly the same thing about 2 days ago. I don't know what teminology you're using but by "roast" mine really was that - it was pretty close to a perfect cube (which is far different from thinner steak-like cuts some people are describing).[p]Knowing this roast was very lean and likely to come out dry and tough, I injected the roast before hand with a combination of EVOO and beef broth.[p]Please let us (me, anyway) know how yours turns out.[p]Bottom line: mine turned out looking very good, but was as tough as old shoe leather. Slicing thin didn't help, either; that yielded just thin, tough meat. (The wife salvaged the thing by putting it in her crock pot and cooking overnight, then chopping the meat for sandwiches.)[p]I'm tempted to try this cut again by either: 1) using a brisket approach and "overcooking" it, or 2) using a foil-wrapped approach to effectively "steam" it.[p]I'd really like to find a technique for cooking such a roast since it's relatively cheap cut, and since I'd like to add some beef, other than brisket, to my menu.[p]

• BeantownEgger
    Options
    Texas Geezer,
    My roast came out superb. I used a recipe from the recipesource.com I had 2 2.25lb eye of round top cuts. the marinade consisted of 4oz chinese hot mustard, 1tspn worcestershire sauce, 2tspn light soy sauce, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 pressed garlic cloves. cooked on 250 for about 1hr 15 min. than I turned it up to about 400 for about 45min till it was done. It was a medium well more on the med side, and it wasn't tough at all. I actually thought the mustard would overpower the meat flavor but not the case at all. I would definitely cook it again. fed five people to the brim for about $13.00. sweet deal! any ?'s please don't hesitate. keep on eggin'