Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Date Night Paella

Options
Darby_Crenshaw
Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
It's not a ribeye, but what the heck, thought I should post it anyway in the effort to hit a thousand. 

After photo: (iphone pics, apologies) 

It's been a while, and timing the rice takes a little more skill than I had tonight. We did have some soccorat, but flirted with burnt bits in a few spots. More on that later. 

This is straight from the naked whiz's playbook. His primer is the definitive guide to paella on a BGE. 

Set up is a FULL charge of lump. Daisy for scale. 

I lit it in three spots. Lid open for a bit, then shut it to get the flue action going.

then, the genius move (courtesy Whiz): shut the lower vent and open the lid. Give the fire time to climb UP for a change to the top, and spread out.

Started with a quick sear of the proteins. If i knew what i was doing i'd have dried them a few hours after buying them. Fresh scallops and cod loin. I would have wanted a *bit* more color. But didn't wanna overcook. Salt and pepper. 

Yanked them off with a little less color than I was shooting for. Wanted more but better pale than fully cooked. You want them par (under) cooked. So next time, note to self: drain and air dry in the fridge an hour or more before searing. 

Then a hit of olive oil. When shimmering, in goes the red pepper and green beans. 

Shoulda taken a pic of these when i pulled them. Cook them only until a few of each brown at the edges. They will fully cook later. 

These go back into a bowl to wait, and another hit of oil into the pan. Then dump in grated onion and a head of garlic, cloved. Stir like a mofo. 

Slide to the outside and dump the grated tomatoes in the hot spot. Let the tomato boil down and eventually comingle the too, cook down to a dark paste. 

I colored the shrimp, because they were monsters. Again, just a head start, didn't really cook them very much. A minute or so each side. They exuded a lot of liquid (thawed from frozen), and so after i set the shrimp aside i let the sofrito absorb it and cooked it down til pastey again. 

Getting there. 

Dumped 4-1/2 cups of seafood broth (with toasted saffron) onto the soffrito [EDIT: and then added the 1-1/2 cups of bomba rice). Then let it boil a bit, until reduced by about half

When reduced a bit, maybe ten minutes, I went artsy fartsy and arrayed the beans and peppers. 

Then the other stuff. 

Mussels (not par cooked) around the outside.  Cod in the middle in a pile. Shrimp (too many!) and scallops. I ate one of the scallops earlier. And i need ONE more to maintain the symmetry. Oops. 

I let it reduce. The lid open this entire time. 

When it was 'dry' (stopped bubbling) i finally shut the lid. This finishes the fish which have only been par cooked. They did simmer a bit but need the dome heat to finish off. 

I should have lifted it onto a raised grid to slow the radiant heat on the rice. We got the crispy brown stuff, but just behan to flirt with the burn.

Good stuff. 
Google 'naked whiz paella primer'

that lump was cowboy by the way. 
[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Great documentation and pics.  Followed the script right down to the lump brand.  Like the shrimp in the shell move.  Dang-what a banquet. Nailed it.
    BTW- your narrative implies you did the cook direct as opposed to raised direct??  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Funny you remembered he recommended cowboy. I didn't remember that until i reread it tonight. 

I buy a couple bags from the ace hardware guy when i go there and buy just two screws and a washer. Hahaha

It took a while to get hot so yeah i dropped the pan to grid level for the searing. I should have returned to set up raised direct when doing the final home run. That's when the rice started to burn a bit in a couple hot spots. Raised direct would have slowed it and allowed the rice to dry out. 

Been a while since i did this. 

Thanks for the fist bump!

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    That looks great. Those shrimp are huge. i didn't see where you added the rice. I love paella but haven't tried cooking it yet. Super cook!!!
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Golfguy77
    Golfguy77 Posts: 93
    Options
    Looks like a winner!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    That looks great. Those shrimp are huge. i didn't see where you added the rice. I love paella but haven't tried cooking it yet. Super cook!!!
    Ah. Yeah the rice. When i added the broth i dumped in 1-1/2 cups of bomba rice (or Goya Valencia'). Stir it around so everything is evenly dispersed. And then that's when I dropped on the veggies and protein. 

And thanks!

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw  definitely top shelf with the Bomba rice.  I burned thru my Bomba from Spain a couple of years ago and now settle for Arborio.  Should be able to reload with the Bomba (not nearly enough) in a couple of months but the Arborio is a good substitute, at least for my palate.  
    A great cook and banquet however you get there.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    My man :clap:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Well done!  Good cook.  You're well on your way to be long relavent 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Thanks boyeez! 

Workin on a thing they call a 'hamburger'. Wait til then!

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great Darby. But do you know how to cook chicken leg quarters?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Looks awesome,  No apology necessary for an iPhone on a website...no difference really.  Looks great!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    DMW said:
    Looks great Darby. But do you know how to cook chicken leg quarters?
    Duh. Same as a whole chicken only a quarter of the time!

next question

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited July 2016
    Options
    How bout a grilled cheese  :o

Paella looks freaking awesome.
  • lousubcap
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @Phatchris - With or without bread?  ;)
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Um. Another stupid question. Cheese falls right through the grid. Grilled cheese can't be done. 

Next questiin

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Next question:

Have you seen my baseball?
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Very nice cook brother. The narrative was nice also. Paella is one of my favorite cooks. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hi, long time lurker, posted a bit when I felt more confident cooking (haha - burned my share of food until I learned about the air flow thing).

Anyway, I'm live casting with a panel of foodies (some are friends) and I assume from your posts that you live in Japan, so I figure this is a good time for a quick response. 

I see you're not one of the big contributors of cooking threads, but I appreciate all the words in your post, more than I usually see. The pictures could be a bit better, (honestly, they look cellphoneish) but I'd say it's on the up and up of the bell curve for john q.   I skimmed over the words and they looked pretty good.

Couple of questions, sorry if any of this has been covered earlier, since I didn't read too much of the thread.

1. I started cooking some chicken, and decided I'd go and eat some Chik-fil-a with my aunt (she loves the place, even the pastor says it's good), anyway, so the chicken was sort of charred on the outside but still raw on the inside.  It's been in my beer fridge for a week - is it safe to eat?

2. When you're doing grilled cheese, how do you keep it from falling through the grate?

3. (sorry about all the questions, I'm sure you've heard them before)

4. I cured some pig belly, and I want to put it in a burger and char it on the outside.  Is that safe to eat?

5. Did Tom Brady get some kind of brain injury?

Thanks in advance!!!!

PS PS - love your food pictures!!!!

Options
    Beautiful !!!!... Great cook,post and fantastic pictures.. Excellent..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Thanks again gentlemen. And Cary

hahaha