Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stovepipe for lightning fast startup?

Options
This topic recently came up in another thread.

Is anyone running/has anyone tried a stovepipe to increase draft upon the Egg's startup so as to drastically reduce heat-up times? A long time ago, I had seen a video of this in which the Egg owner got theirs fired up to 700 or so ridiculously quickly. 

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Yeah, it's still on youtube.....saw it some time back. 

Unless you welded a good insulated handle on it, I would be too worried about fumbling it or have it fall on someone/something.  BBQ Dragon is my upgrade for that, plus I can use it on my wood stove.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Yeah chimney up to speed, dump it and 700 degrees is short order. It can happen. 
  • dgordon2nc
    dgordon2nc Posts: 100
    Options
    When I first got my egg about a year ago I used a chimney because I wanted it up to temp fast. I've since learned that coming up to temp is part of the experience and so I just use Rutland starters and enjoy an adult beverage or three during the process. No need to rush perfection!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @dgordon2nc: Was it effective while you used it? Any disadvantages?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    You know, after a while you learn to just let it do its thing. Been thru the hair dryer, the leaf blower the stove pipe on top and the BBQ Dragon, when all is said and done, 30 seconds of MAP on some second burn lump on the top of the fuel supply, set the DFMT on fully open and the lower vent open, come back in an hour and all is good. ideal for low and slows.  If you want instant cooking, suggest the use of a charcoal chimney, some briquettes and the Weber (Smokey Joe or Kettle). Ready to grill in 15 minutes. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Skiddymarker: You let it go full throttle for an hour prior to cooking?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No, the lump has a small spot heated, maybe the size of a tennis ball - 30 seconds or so of MAP torch. With the DMFT on and the petals open the max airflow on my MBGE is about 400ºF maximum, regardless of the lower vent setting. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dgordon2nc
    dgordon2nc Posts: 100
    Options
    No disadvantage but I did find it was a bit hard to maneuver the hot chimney the size that I used. Also I worry about the ceramic cracking with the sudden change in temp. I did get a small burn in my egg mate because a piece of charcoal that was stuck in it ended up on it.  Honestly just use the starters and enjoy the egg experience of watching the charcoal get hot with the starters :)
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    No issues re sudden change in temp. 

We're still talking air, and air is a poor conductor

these things are tested to get way hotter, way faster, then we ever get them. And they douse them with water when they get there too. 

Stovepipe for the stack effect ain't gonna do nuthin'
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I did that method with tin foil a few times, but I gave up. I do still use a chimney.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Just watched that video. That's ridiculously fast.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Check it out for yourself.....  Looks like the stack effect does help get the airflow up thereby getting the lump burning and the heat up.

https://youtu.be/mPsRJCJTf0M

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Yeah, it's still on youtube.....saw it some time back. 

Unless you welded a good insulated handle on it, I would be too worried about fumbling it or have it fall on someone/something.  BBQ Dragon is my upgrade for that, plus I can use it on my wood stove.
    Yeah I really like the BBQ Dragon.  It is just a battery operated hair dryer with a clip but I really like the convenience of the portability.  I got it on special during the holidays and it included the batteries and a charger.  I'm surprised how long the batteries last. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited July 2016
    Options
    =) Bunch of lightweights, here is how real men light a grill fast. Probably not so good on a wooden deck though. =)

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Light-A-Grill-In-30-Seconds/
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    =) Bunch of lightweights, here is how real men light a grill fast. Probably not so good on a wooden deck though. =)

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Light-A-Grill-In-30-Seconds/
    Love it!  Unfortunately, I don't know how effective it was at the end of the video.  I bet it would work a lot better with lump than briquettes though.  Now where can I get some LOX?  I used to have a source.  I want to borrow someone else's BGE to try this though!!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @bettysnephew: Will be sure to try this next time I have some excess liquid oxygen lying around.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    "Grandma, let me borrow your oxygen bottle. I gotta light the grill."
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.