Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Paying Respects for the Fallen Dallas Police Officers.

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited July 2016
    I don't think the intent of the BLM movement was to suggest that only black lives matter.  Otherwise it would be OBLM.
    Though I agree, I'm not sure that's how it ended up for a lot of them. Twitter comments of those in support of the BLM movement strongly disagree with you. Upwards of 95% that I read - over 500 probably. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Foregoing all the partisan rhetoric that is now expected by our administration and our media......thanks for the thought and post Fred.  Those of us here appreciate it.  Sad days around here, but hopefully some can learn from the loss.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    All will be OK soon.  Obama has proposed nationalizing all police forces under federal control.

During the Ferguson riots, there were a few hundred DHS "Federal Protective Police" here in St. Louis.  There were pictures posted online of 50+ suburbans in the parking garage of the Embassy Suites in affluant Chesterfield (30 minutes from Fegurson).  There were more reported in parking garages at a few other nice hotels well clear of the action.  They spent 2 weeks here in a 4-star hotel and never stepped foot in Ferguson.  They left the Ferguson PD and STL Co. Police to fend for themselves.  Same deal, the govenor claims to have deployed the national guard to "assist", yet they were protecting the country court house, federal court house downtown, Busch Stadium, power plants, etc........not a single one seen anywhere near Ferguson.

There's a great book about how the whole thing actually went down.  Ferghanistan: The War on Police by Jeff Roorda 

• @stlcharcoal This is different.  It is not to intercede for a specific activity, but to bring all police forces under the control of the federal government.  The object is to align the focus of all police forces with the vision of the federal government.  Nothing but good can come of this.
  • KennyLee
    @stlcharcoal This is different.  It is not to intercede for a specific activity, but to bring all police forces under the control of the federal government.  The object is to align the focus of all police forces with the vision of the federal government.  Nothing but good can come of this.
    Only bad will come of it.  Regions are different, states are different, communities are different.  We are a representative democracy.  The federal government doesn't have a great track record taking over anything.  Leave LE at the state and local level. 

LBGE

• bhedges1987
    @stlcharcoal This is different.  It is not to intercede for a specific activity, but to bring all police forces under the control of the federal government.  The object is to align the focus of all police forces with the vision of the federal government.  Nothing but good can come of this.
    I really hope your being sarcastic in your last sentence.... 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Pepe Le Pew
    Pepe Le Pew Posts: 49
    edited July 2016
    @bhedges1987 Sacrastic?  No.  Having the federal government control all law enforcement is the only way to ensure equality of Muslims, Hispanics, and people of color.  I'm sure @JohnInCarolina, @nolaegghead, @Darby_Crenshaw and others would agree with me.

As Hillary Clinton has said today, white people must change in how they think and interact with African Americans.  We can trace all of our problems to the "white privilege" that we enjoy at the expense of people of color. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
     look out, this is the new norm & coming to a neighborhood near you.
    Hyperbole much.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bhedges1987
    @bhedges1987 Sacrastic?  No.  Having the federal government control all law enforcement is the only way to ensure equality of Muslims, Hispanics, and people of color.  I'm sure @JohnInCarolina, @nolaegghead, @Darby_Crenshaw and others would agree with me.

As Hillary Clinton has said today, white people must change in how they think and interact with African Americans.  We can trace all of our problems to the "white privilege" that we enjoy at the expense of people of color. 
    Wow.... Ever thought about leaving the country since it's so unfair? 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• @bhedges1987 No !  Then the racists would win.  It is our duty (your's and mine) to make this country better by ensuring equality no matter what means it takes to accomplish the ends.

• bhedges1987
    edited July 2016
    @bhedges1987 No !  Then the racists would win.  It is our duty (your's and mine) to make this country better by ensuring equality no matter what means it takes to accomplish the ends.

Get me in the NBA then... Or the NFL... It's not fair I'm not as athletic as African Americans and they make a lot more money than me because of it... It's your job I guess to make sure that happens.

It is not my duty at all to make sure there is equality.  I don't work as hard or am as smart as Steve jobs was. I shouldn't be paid equal. 

Regarding equality on police brutality. Have a looksie...
    http://www.allenbwest.com/matt-palumbo/5-facts-about-police-shootings-msnbc-will-never-report

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    edited July 2016
    Add me to that list.  The only organization I know of that, for the most part, allows for equal treatment of all is the U.S. military, a federally-run entity.  Allowing the racists and religious-oriented "local bigots" to run things fairly, doesn't work.  
    This past week proves it, as has the entire time that phone cameras became common.  
    (I have roots in MN, and I'm surprised at what happened there.  However, note that the cop (whose face is never seen) is terrified, in both his voice and his high rate of breathing visible in the video.  Wish we knew what all really happened there)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    @bhedges1987 No !  Then the racists would win.  It is our duty (your's and mine) to make this country better by ensuring equality no matter what means it takes to accomplish the ends.

Get me in the NBA then... Or the NFL... It's not fair I'm not as athletic as African Americans and they make a lot more money than me because of it... It's your job I guess to make sure that happens.

It is not my duty at all to make sure there is equality.  I don't work as hard or am as smart as Steve jobs was. I shouldn't be paid equal. 
    Being denied a job because of incompetence or inability is totally different than being denied a job because of skin colour.

Gerhard
  • bhedges1987
    gerhardk said:

Being denied a job because of incompetence or inability is totally different than being denied a job because of skin colour.

Gerhard
    No.... Equal is equal. If we are not equal on all levels there is no equality.  If we have true equality as the above poster wanted we need it equal everywhere. NFL included. They must have thought the white college basketball and football players weren't as good so they didn't get the job. The owners of businesses who turned down an employee must not have been as qualified. Please show me evidence the company said we are not hiring you because your black. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• This branch started out as a endorsement of Obama's plan to nationalize the police forces around the country.  This is the direction the country needs to take.  Also, federal committees must be formed to ensure priority employment of people of color.  Affirmative Action has not been successful enough due to the racist mentality of the whites.
  • bhedges1987
    This branch started out as a endorsement of Obama's plan to nationalize the police forces around the country.  This is the direction the country needs to take.  Also, federal committees must be formed to ensure priority employment of people of color.  Affirmative Action has not been successful enough due to the racist mentality of the whites.
    Again.... Wow...... Troll alert 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• @bhedges1987 Having a vision of love and equality for all God's people should not make me a troll unless I'm on a KKK website.  Am I?.
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145

Half the people here don't know what to do when their bacon hits the sell by date. And yet they feel like they can solve the world's problems

laughable
    This may be one of the funniest remarks ever made on this forum
  • bhedges1987
    edited July 2016
    @Pepe Le Pew 

You said there needs to be priority employment for some people. You also said there needs to be equality for all.

Those two don't go together.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• @bhedges1987 Having a vision of love and equality for all God's people should not make me a troll unless I'm on a KKK website.  Am I?.
    You said there needs to be priority employment and equality. 

You used an athletic example before, so I will use one also.  It's called leveling the playing field.  By enhanced priority employment, blacks will reach parity with whites and Asians.
  • KennyLee
    edited July 2016

Thanks again, Fred, for your thoughtful post about our local LEO who got ambushed and gunned down by a racist maniac and whose families are left without a spouse/father/son/brother.  Kind of thought that's what this thread was about when you posted.

Maybe if some others have some type of political grievance, this ain't the place to spout it.  Perhaps start another thread. 

LBGE

• bhedges1987
    @bhedges1987 Having a vision of love and equality for all God's people should not make me a troll unless I'm on a KKK website.  Am I?.
    You said there needs to be priority employment and equality. 

You used an athletic example before, so I will use one also.  It's called leveling the playing field.  By enhanced priority employment, blacks will reach parity with whites and Asians.
    Impossible. The Caucasian population is around 9-1 to the African Americans. 

How about out the most qualified person gets the job regardless of color?? That would be CRAZY. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Bacon at the Expiration Date = "leftover" wine.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

I say all this not to take anything away from the Dallas shootings.  As a witness to all the Ferguson stuff two years ago, and now this in the nice suburbs, just gotta say, be aware of your surroundings.  Don't believe for a second that a white picket fence in suburbia is going to protect you from what is coming.  Every LEO I am still acquainted says look out, this is the new norm & coming to a neighborhood near you.
    No offense, but we really don't need statistically insignificant fear mongering to bring the country together.  You should avoid driving a car long before you avoid white picket fences.  If anything, that just makes people more on edge, more divisive and behave worse.
    Bshults1 said:

Half the people here don't know what to do when their bacon hits the sell by date. And yet they feel like they can solve the world's problems

laughable
    This may be one of the funniest remarks ever made on this forum
    Agreed. I really should learn not to be drinking while reading some of Darby's posts. Would save me a lot of keyboard cleanup. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Thanks for the post. It would be crying shame if nothing is learned from this horrific and tragic loss of lives.  Sadly this IS happening throughout the country. http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-exchanges-gunfire-georgia-police-officer-40434452
    And not just by one race. Learn from our history or we are doomed to repeat it. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    So....what are we supposed to do when bacon reaches the sell by date?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    jeffwit said:
    So....what are we supposed to do when bacon reaches the sell by date?

Bring it to me for inspection and disposal. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    We can trace all of our problems to the "white privilege" that we enjoy at the expense of people of color. 
    I'm not going to get into a back and forth on this and there are many things on which I'm sure we can agree, but I don't think you can ever make broad statements that use the word "all" before the words "problems" and "white privilege" and have reasonable people agree. It's never that simple.
    Stillwater, MN