Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Comments, Please, on this Planned Cook

Options
We're having about 8 people over in a week and I want to do pulled pork & pulled chicken tacos (with the usual sides) and ABTs.  I've not done ABTs before, but here is my plan:

• Set up the XL with Woo2 & AR: pizza stone on woo for indirect, drip pan on stone, main grid at gasket, and a second drip pan & grid on the AR.

• Stabilize egg at ~350F (dome).

• Turbo the pork butt on the main grid so it is done 2 - 3 hrs before guests arrive. Pull and FTC until time to shred (~ 1 hr before eating).  
  • When the butt is pulled, put on the boneless/skinless chicken thighs on main grid and ABTs on upper grid on AR.  I am assuming the thighs and the ABTs will both take about an hour to finish.  An alternative is to forget the AR - I probably have enough room on the main grid to do the thighs and ABTs together.
  • Remove thighs and ABTs.  Serve ABTs and start pulling chicken & pork.
  • EAT!
My main questions are - 
Any obvious flaws in this plan?
Is my assumption regarding cooking time (@ 350F) for the chicken thighs and ABTs reasonable?  If not how should I adjust?
What is the preferred pulling/shredding tool? Last time I used 2 forks and it was a PITA.

TIA and I'll post some pix when it happens.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
XL BGE, Woo2, AR

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Sounds like a solid plan to me.  My preferred method for pulling pork is a pair of gloves like these

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• AVEngineer
    AVEngineer Posts: 120
    Options
    The times and the plan sound solid to me as well. I also use gloves like @SmokeyPitt or a pair of bear claws. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I would pull butt after FTC- 

i would also go indirect on chicken as I think it sometimes gets a tougher skin direct which could cause issues on pulling  

last suggestion is I would cook a 4-5 lb bird (or multiples) instead of pieces. But that's personal preference

good luck and you will do great

Greensboro, NC
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Nice plan.  I have cooked a lot of ABTs and 45 min to 1 hr is about right.  Depends on thickness of bacon.  Both pork and chicken sounds like a great meal.  I agree that cooking a whole bird is the way to go.  I would typically recommend spatchcock, but space will be at a premium with both a bird and ABTs.  Beer can the chicken to give you as much space as possible. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.