Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alright, first post... New LBGE owner (tons of pics)

Options
At the long-time urging of my buddy @blind99, I finally broke down and bought a LBGE earlier this summer. My only complaint is that he didn't push me harder before, because I love this thing, and find myself planning my days off around what I can cook! I've been reading these forum posts and picked up lots of great tips, and the vibe on this forum is great, so thank you all.... Just wanted to share a few of my first cooks, since I know ya'll like pictures:

After a few easy chickens to get the hang of the temp control, here's my first pork butt:

I've also been trying to build a collection of cast iron, and bought myself a Lodge dutch oven, so thought I would try some chili. I browned some ground beef and ground pork on the stove, then put it in a pot with a bunch of stock, tomatoes, jalepenos and bell peppers, fresh corn, and some spices, cooked it low for a few hours on the egg, and ended up with this:

Next a bottom round roast. Not my favorite (think I need a deli slicer to make thin cuts), but the leftovers were put on a sandwich bun with horseradish and provolone cheese and broiled in the oven:

First brisket (a choice flat from Costco):

First pizza, ground beef with fresh mozzarella. Used grocery store frozen pizza dough -- came out pretty tasty!

And lastly my favorite cook so far - a Berkshire pork butt (from local farmer's market guy), only 2.5 lbs but did low and slow at 250 dome temp. I had never tried Alabama white sauce - I know it's easy to make, but the grocery store had a bottle of this stuff and I figured I would try it. It was awesome. 

Thanks for looking!

JacksDad

Large BGE -- New Jersey

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Wow!  Great first cooks!  My mouth is watering for those Berkshire pork tacos...
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Congrats and welcome aboard!  Your first few cooks look great, look forward to seeing more.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Strong start right there.  You learned well from @blind99.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jakebge
    jakebge Posts: 79
    Options
    Awesome!  You sure have been an active egghead. I need to give a 2.5lb pork butt a try. 
  • Gergatron
    Gergatron Posts: 3
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Awesome. The berkshire/Alabama sauce looks delicious - need to try that myself sometime now!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Nailed it.... You got this down, have fun sir!
    Seattle, WA
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    Yes, I was afraid at only 2.5 lbs, the pork butt would be dry. But I got the egg to 250 dome temp (before 7am, and had the local fire chief who lives down the street walking into my backyard to see where all the smoke was coming from!). I put it on at 7am and took it off probably around 4pm at an internal temp of 200, let it FTC for an hour, and it pulled very easily. Not dry at all, and the white sauce is awesome. 

It was the perfect size because honestly I can't get the wife and kids to each that much bbq pork from a big butt, but this thing was gone by the end of the night, after inviting my father-in-law over to help finish it off...

I don't know much about these heritage breed kinds of pork, but this thing was sure delicious, and not all that expensive from the farmer's market... There's a guy at the same market with Mangalitsa pork -- that's for next weekend!

JacksDad

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• jakebge
    jakebge Posts: 79
    Options
    I have the exact same issue with my wife and kids; so a 2.5lbs is very appealing.  However, my co-workers will be disappointed.

So, your 2.5lber was 12 hours at 250 dome temp, then 1hr FTC.  Sounds like I need to visit my butcher and give this a try.
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    Good job!!  Like you, a friend told me about the BGE and I did the usual, "Yeah, I'll have to check into that".  Well, getting busy, etc, a whole year passed, and still had not done anything.  My wife and I had discussed it briefly after that initial convo with my friend, and basically forgot about it.  The following Father's Day, more than a year later, she surprised me with a large for my FD gift.  She added a couple eggcessories that the store told her I would need, and that was probably 6 years ago.  My only complaint was not knowing 20 years sooner.
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • JacksDad
    Options
    Thanks everyone! 

What are other people's favorite things to cook, besides the staples? I'm thinking of trying a meatloaf next weekend, might have more luck getting the family to eat that! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• JacksDad
    Options

jakebge said:
    I have the exact same issue with my wife and kids; so a 2.5lbs is very appealing.  However, my co-workers will be disappointed.

So, your 2.5lber was 12 hours at 250 dome temp, then 1hr FTC.  Sounds like I need to visit my butcher and give this a try.
     It was less, maybe 8 or 9 hours. I have a maverick 733 and just left that in the butt until it hit 200. I was really surprised at how steady the egg was at 250, hardly had to touch the vents once they were set... I still checked it every hour but didn't need to move anything really.

Next big purchase will be the flame boss! Would love to be able to check the egg's status on my phone while I'm out doing stuff on the weekend...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Welcome to the Eggdiction,  Some really great looking cooks right out of the gate.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Very nice indeed!  So what are you going to do next weekend??
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Awesome!!!! Welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Looks like JacksDad knows how to cook!

Welcome aboard

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Fantastic looking cooks.. Welcome.. Everything you posted is top notch.. Pure magic..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    alright!  glad you are sharing all those awesome cooks!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JacksDad
    Options
    @blind99 you better post a pic of that enormous brisket you have on the egg right now!
    Large BGE -- New Jersey

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Great looking cooks!  Looks like you're right; too bad @blind99 didn't push you harder, sooner.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • JacksDad
    Options
    One other thing I started doing: wrapping potatoes in foil with some butter, garlic, and shallots, and letting them cook along with whatever else is in there for the long cook. Then using those to make mashed potatoes:

Costco had these enormous bags of potatoes (9 kg) for like $10 -- how could I resist?

JackDad

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    Good job on the cooks, great start.  Tough job having to experiment to see how things work:)  Egg will never let you down if you do your part and may save you some times too:)  Keep having fun.
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    Great looking cooks!  Looks like you're right; too bad @blind99 didn't push you harder, sooner.
    @jaydub58 full disclosure: we've been friends for many years and when we were younger did all sorts of stupid young kid stuff. Blew stuff up. Nearly drowned. So if I make a suggestion he probably thinks about it awhile :)

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Bravo sir.  Bravo. :clap:
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Welcome ! May I make a suggestion ? Run your temp probe wire out the egg over a platesetter leg to protect it from direct heat of the lump .
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I reckon I'd eat any and all of that! Nice!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome and those are some great cooks!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nice! @blind99 gave you great guidance! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • gator753
    gator753 Posts: 81
    Options
    Those are some great cooks and welcome aboard!
    Marshall, TX

LBGE 2016
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Your off to a great start.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    JacksDad said:
    I don't know much about these heritage breed kinds of pork, but this thing was sure delicious, and not all that expensive from the farmer's market... There's a guy at the same market with Mangalitsa pork -- that's for next weekend!

You are headed down a verrrry slippery slope, pig wise.  A few of us are raising some Mangalitsa in Texas.  Things have really gotten out of hand.

Welcome to the forum.  It is clear that you are cooking a ton, and I appreciate seeing all the pics.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX