Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti IPO

Options
tonyled
tonyled Posts: 536
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/business/austin-based-yeti-files-initial-paperwork-for-ipo/nrrBh/

Austin-based Yeti, the fast-growing premium cooler and drinkware company with a fervent following, has filed preliminary documents for an initial public offering of stock.

The securities filing does not list how many shares Yeti Holdings, the parent of the Yeti Coolers LLC, plans to sell or how much it hopes to raise. It also gave no timetable for the public offering.

The company said it would use the proceeds of the public offering to pay down existing debt, with the rest going toward general business operations. It will trade under the ticker symbol YETI on the New York Stock Exchange, according to securities filings.

The company was founded in Austin in 2006 by brothers Roy Seiders and Ryan Seiders and quickly became a top brand in the premium cooler category. In recent years, it has expanded into premium drinkware, soft coolers and branded apparel. The company’s revenue has surged dramatically since its founding, jumping to $468.9 million in 2015, according to securities filings.

In 2006, Yeti’s first retail client was McBride’s outdoor specialty store. Today Yeti’s products are sold at major chains including REI, Cabela’s and ****’s Sporting Goods, as well as smaller, independent retailers.

Yeti has built a loyal fan base among sporting enthusiasts such as hunters and anglers who have embraced the brand for its range of products, including its heavily insulated, nearly indestructible coolers. And those fans willing to pay for it: Yeti’s smaller coolers can start at $250 and can reach more than $1,000 depending on size and style.

In 2012, Yeti sold majority ownership to New York private equity firm Cortec Group for an undisclosed amount. The deal allowed the Seiders brothers to cash out some of their equity stake in the company. The Seiders remain shareholders in the company, according to securities filings.

Yeti’s sales have skyrocketed in recent years. According to the filing, the company reported revenue of $468.9 million for 2015, more than triple the $147.7 million it reported the prior year.

Through 2015, most of the Yeti’s sales ran through a network of about 6,000 retailers, including 15 percent of its revenue from Academy Sports and Outdoors stores, according to the securities filing. In recent years, the company has limited its direct sales on Yeti.com in order to satisfy demand at those retailers, but the company said it hopes to expand its direct-to-consumer sales and expand into more international markets going forward.

Perhaps even more attractive for potential investors, the company has posted profits in each of the past three years, earning $74.2 million in 2015, an increase from $14.2 million the year before.

However, Yeti did report a sharp loss for the first quarter of 2016, thanks largely to a $104.4 million expense related to the early vesting of stock options for four employees, including the company founders. While the company reported sales of $191.3 million in the first quarter — more than triple the $52.2 million during the same period last year — it reported a net loss of $38.2 million, according to the filing. During the first quarter of 2015, Yeti posted a profit of $4.6 million.

In May, the company paid a special dividend of $451.3 million to its existing stockholders, according to securities filings.

A year ago, Matt Reintjes joined the company as CEO from Vista Outdoor Inc., where he ran that company’s $900 million outdoor products division.

Yeti in March announced plans for a new 175,000-square-foot headquarters in Southwest Austin. The campus at Lantana Ridge off Southwest Parkway, will include two 87,500-square-foot buildings with amenities including an archery range, sports courts, barbecue pits, a rooftop terrace and a jogging trail.

The company said the building would accommodate its current workforce with room for future headcount growth. The new headquarters is expected to be finished by summer 2017, officials said.

The company said it also has signed leases in Austin for an “innovation center” and a “brand experience center.”

As of the end of March the company had 312 employees, according to securities filings.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    yeti needs to raise their prices =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Or just make the coolers smaller.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I wonder if they have a bucket.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Legume said:
    they already make them smaller =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    "The company said it would use the proceeds of the public offering to pay down existing debt"...at their prices, they have debt? Give me a break...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    debt is good in some business cases.  especially right now while rates are so low
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    "The company said it would use the proceeds of the public offering to pay down existing debt"...at their prices, they have debt? Give me a break...
    They sure seem to spend a lot on marketing. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Legume said:
    @legume wins the thread crossover award.

I'm also amused that the shorter version of Richard's Sporting Goods got asterisks.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Legume said:
    they already make them smaller =)

Options
    I would definitely go public now, if I were them!  Their market is in the process of being completely eroded by all the MUCH cheaper, but just as good competition.  Right now, the biggest thing they are selling is their great name. When that gets eaten away, the value will be a lot less.  Sell now and let public shareholders take that risk instead of the founders.

Caveat emptor to anyone wanting to buy the stock on the open market.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    I would definitely go public now, if I were them!  Their market is in the process of being completely eroded by all the MUCH cheaper, but just as good competition.  Right now, the biggest thing they are selling is their great name. When that gets eaten away, the value will be a lot less.  Sell now and let public shareholders take that risk instead of the founders.

Caveat emptor to anyone wanting to buy the stock on the open market.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. This market is really flooded. I saw a brand new company I had never seen before with wheels in Costco the other day called Kytex or something like that. It wasn't any cheaper than Yeti is was like $375 but everyone is selling these coolers now.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Sounds like a short opportunity for the both of you!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    This is what bothers me about the nanny in charge of making sure we don't swear:

"sold at major chains including REI, Cabela’s and ****’s Sporting Goods,"

Really, does anyone wonder why D.ick's Sporting Goods needs to be a series of asterisks?

You can prick your finger, but you can't finger your *****

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2016
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    This is what bothers me about the nanny in charge of making sure we don't swear:

"sold at major chains including REI, Cabela’s and ****’s Sporting Goods,"

Really, does anyone wonder why D.ick's Sporting Goods needs to be a series of asterisks?

You can prick your finger, but you can't finger your *****
    **** Van Dyke would have hated it here.  

<edit> I thought I might get 2 there.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Maybe Scottie will write a song about the suckers that buy Yeti stock. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Not sure I'd be buying an IPO of a company where the purpose is to pay down debt, as the owners are cashing out.  Low price competition, as well as a big spending mentality would cause me to take a pass on this one.  

Phoenix 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    312 employees in an 87,500 sq ft building (280+ sq ft per person), $104.4 million paid for 4 people's stock options, $451.3 million to its existing stockholders in a dividend, and $38.2 million loss in the first quarter. I guess we now know what debts they will be paying off.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Thinking they are trying to squeeze the last bit of blood, as much as they can, from both investors and customers, before bankruptcy. Fleecing the flock.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Yep, Yeti moving into our hood. We have been watching the building going up.  It is alot nicer than the orginal location.  
    At the SpaceCity egg fest cooks were given Orca SS Chaser and it holds ice just as good as the Yeti.
    i still think the Pelican 45 was the best ice keeper we have owned.  It downfall for us was it is heavy when empty and really to heavy when full.  #1 son very happy with the Pelican
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    This is every entrepreneurs dream.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Absolutely.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    edited July 2016
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Absolutely!  My wife and I just had our first offer from a  substantially larger brand to buy us out and we turned it down.  It defiantly is a thrill if you can dream big.    
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What is interesting to me is that we are on a website for a product that is definitely the highest price in the market.  There are a number of competitors that have come in with allegedly the same product and at a lower price.  But the BGE keeps chugging along and hasn't seen their sales or market eroded and they haven't gone into bankruptcy.  The market is flooded with Visions and Akorns and Primos and Kamado Joes but BGE is still here.  I look at both of them as similar, top of the line products and there will usually be a longer term demand for that sector of the market.

As for the stock to the original owners and employees, that's what happens when companies grow and go public.  You start with the original guys putting a lot of their own money on the line.  They then bring in Private Equity for additional capital to manage their tremendous growth.  Eventually they go public and the original, founding team gets to cash out, or at least reduce their investment.  I say good for these guys. They had a vision and went for it.  They have had competition for a couple of years now and other than the 1st quarter that had a bunch of extraordinary financial items, they are still growing sales and making a lot of money. 
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    What is interesting to me is that we are on a website for a product that is definitely the highest price in the market.  
    Shhhh.....you will stir the #RTIC tards into a frenzy.....watch out for the nest...
    Seattle, WA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options
    What is interesting to me is that we are on a website for a product that is definitely the highest price in the market... 
    Uhhh...have you heard of Komodo Kamados?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    What is interesting to me is that we are on a website for a product that is definitely the highest price in the market... 
    Uhhh...have you heard of Komodo Kamados?
    Okay, second highest. But definitely upper end of the brands that are easily available. 
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Yep, Yeti moving into our hood. We have been watching the building going up.  It is alot nicer than the orginal location.  
    At the SpaceCity egg fest cooks were given Orca SS Chaser and it holds ice just as good as the Yeti.
    i still think the Pelican 45 was the best ice keeper we have owned.  It downfall for us was it is heavy when empty and really to heavy when full.  #1 son very happy with the Pelican
    I've got 2. Wouldn't ever trade them. Pelican has a no questions asked warranty and free shipping. 
    Pratt, KS
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    What is interesting to me is that we are on a website for a product that is definitely the highest price in the market.  There are a number of competitors that have come in with allegedly the same product and at a lower price.  But the BGE keeps chugging along and hasn't seen their sales or market eroded and they haven't gone into bankruptcy.  The market is flooded with Visions and Akorns and Primos and Kamado Joes but BGE is still here.  I look at both of them as similar, top of the line products and there will usually be a longer term demand for that sector of the market.
    I bought my Egg 4 years ago. At the time there were 2 dealers within 25 miles of me, now there are a dozen (including our local hometown hardware store). In that same area KJ has 2 and Primo has 3...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...