Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Paella

Options
jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
I've wanted to try this for a long time but for some reason it took until today. Chicken and shrimp since that's what I had. I will get more adventurous next time. 

A couple things I'll do different next time: less sofrito and longer cook to get better soccarat. 
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That's a nice looking paella, one of my favorite things to do on the Egg.

I bat about 500 on the soccarat, not being a super patient guy.  You can generally hear it crackle when it is getting there, and you have to balance out overcooking some of your critters (shrimp, particularly) when giving it a go.

I could use a bite of that right now.  Nice cook!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice!  Looks tasty.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Alright.....now I'm starving. Nice cook

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Love me paella cooks-number two cook for me on the BGE behind the good 'ol brisket.  If you are looking for some good paella cook guidance, check out the recipe section here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm   Solid info-and of course the inter-web will provide information overload.  FWIW-
    And that is a great looking cook right there- I'm sure everyone enjoyed.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    She's a beauty. 
  • jls9595
    Options
    thanks guys  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Paella is one of my favorite cooks on the egg. It's a fun cook. It looks killer in the pan. People love the food. Great all the way around. Great job my friend. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that!

Paella has been on my to-do list as well.  I have the pan and everything...just haven't got around to it yet. 

@jls9595 , is there a particular recipe/method you followed?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • jls9595
    Options
    no, i just looked at a few different ones to get the basics down. thanks
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Not to go redundant here but give this link a look for a great base-line from which to expand your paella horizons:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Looks great!! I've been wanting to do another one. Good eatin right there !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!