Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

$2 grill lighting hack

Options
I bought a little fan at Walmart for $2 and set it up to blow in the bottom grate after lighting. The grill get up to temp in about 1/3 the time. 

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Nice!  And the price is right also.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • dmack
    dmack Posts: 56
    Options
    Good idea on those no windy days. 
    Dmcak.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Great idea. Thanks for sharing. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Try using a leaf-blower :) 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    $100 dollar B&D leaf blower or $2 dollar hack. Hack!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Could also throw a cheapo chimney stack on top to increase the draft effect. But be careful, it gets very hot!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Could also throw a cheapo chimney stack on top to increase the draft effect. But be careful, it gets very hot!!
    I've seen a video on YouTube of a guy bringing the Egg up to 700 in no time using this technique. Would love to employ it, but I'm worried it's not healthy for the Egg.
  • Mclayborn79
    Options
    I usually do it until it hits 250. It climbs on its own after that. I find it is a whole lot easier to raise the temp than lower it. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    I've seen a video on YouTube of a guy bringing the Egg up to 700 in no time using this technique. Would love to employ it, but I'm worried it's not healthy for the Egg.
    why is not healthy?  a BGE can easily go to 700 with or without the stack.

it's just one way of increasing draft
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited July 2016
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    $100 dollar B&D leaf blower or $2 dollar hack. Hack!

Maybe, but a lot of us probably already have the leaf blower in our garage.  I know I do.  It is very cool to see blue flames shooting out of the top  =)
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    why is not healthy?  a BGE can easily go to 700 with or without the stack.

it's just one way of increasing draft
    The video was accompanied by a disclaimer about the practice, so I believed that the rapid ascension of temperature could present a risk of thermal shock. If this is effective and safe, why do more Eggers not employ it? This is the first reference to the technique that I have seen on the forum.