Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Cook Question

Options
lowandslow
lowandslow Posts: 122
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
I am smoking a 12lb boneless pork butt on my XL egg.  I am having people over at 5pm tomorrow, but will be playing golf all day leaving the house @ 7am and not returning home until about 4:30pm.  (Travel and post round beers at clubhouse time incorporated)

I would imagine we would be looking to eat around 7pm.  How long will a boneless butt take?  I usually cook anywhere between 220 and 250.  (I prefer low and slow)

Also, what time should I start?  Should I just throw it on @ 6am, then foil when I get home to finish the cook, or should I be starting earlier?

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I just did this same exact cook. I started the egg (lg) @ 9pm ... put the meat on @ 10 pm @ 225. I woke up around 8 am the egg was about to hit the 'stall' @ 160.

I bumped the temp up to about 275 or so and finishing time was around 3 pm.

Pull, FTC and ready to go @ 5.

Oh, btw ... none of this happens unless you are using a Temp Controller.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    The boneless butt will cook like a bone-in butt.  So, just apply your previous experience and go for it.  If you are not around from 7 AM to around 5 PM hopefully you will have someone minding the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    And just who is cleaning the house and bathrooms for your guests during your 11 1/2 hour adventure? Hmmm?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    Ha.  Cleaning ladies came yesterday.  House isn't going to clean itself!
    Wife will be setting up shop while I hack up the golf course.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Why don't you play golf, or cook, and not drive (npi) yourself nuts??