Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Next best thermometer to the Thermapen

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I'd like to get a quick and accurate thermometer but would like to avoid the $150 price tag of the Thermapen. What's the next best option? I picked up a $20 Taylor but it only turns on 20% of the time and then it takes forever to get a reading.

Comments

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I didn't want to spend the money plus the Thermapen MK4 seems so big to me. I bought this one from Thermoworks for $20 and it works great. Takes 5 seconds instead of 3, waterproof, and clips in s shirt pocket.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    You can find previous versions of Thermapens for around $80, I think. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    Javelin Pro.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thermopop. They are $20 right now. They are backlit, have a rotating display you can see from any angle and no moving parts to break like its $119 big brother. I use my pop more than my pen. 
    This. I used to have an RT600C, but I kept forgetting to tutn it off and the battery would die. I don't think it was backlit either (can't remember). 

The thermopop is a winner. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nth78
    Options
    Javelin pro is as good as the thermapen mk4.  Only reason to pay more would be the company reputation
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    nth78 said:
    Javelin pro is as good as the thermapen mk4.  Only reason to pay more would be the company reputation
    Javelin Pro is very nice. I like it more than my Thermapen.

I bought a Javelin when they first came out over a year ago. I kept it outside stuck underneath (it has a magnet built into it) my stainless prep table. A few weeks ago it seemed to be dead - it would not turn on when pulling the probe out. Replaced the battery. Still no bueno. Contacted the company via email and they sent me a label to return the dead one and they sent me a new one.

Lavatools may be a new company and they could disappear (like any company) but my experience so far with them and their products has been great.

Personally I hate the Thermopop and never use mine. Anyone thinking of buying a Thermopop should at least take a look at the Lavatools Javelin which is actually a few bucks cheaper.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Golfguy77
    Golfguy77 Posts: 93
    Options
    Thermopop. They are $20 right now. They are backlit, have a rotating display you can see from any angle and no moving parts to break like its $119 big brother. I use my pop more than my pen. 
    Thanks for the heads up!  Just placed an order for one.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    The Javelin Pro is a great alternative.  Quick read, backlight feature, very accurate.  I have both a Thermapen and the Javelin.  Both are great.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Powak
    Options
    Where can you find the Thermopop for $20? They're $71 on amazon.
  • nth78
    Options
    Powak said:
    Thermopop is a short, slower thermometer from the same company that makes the thermapen.   I wouldn't want one.  The javelin pro is a competitor with all the same features of the thermapen but quite a bit cheaper
  • StaMic006
    StaMic006 Posts: 13
    Options
    I just bought a TP MK4 for $79.  If you register your email on their website they'll send you codes and let you know when they are having sales (which seems to be every week). Also the MK 4 is $99 the Classic TP is $79.  I have 2 MK 4's and they are simply the best IMO.  
    Buford, GA  LBGE, BGE MiniMax
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Powak said:
    On Thermoworks official website. Do not buy Thermoworks products from Amazon. See the banner on their website.

http://www.thermoworks.com

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    nth78 said:
    Powak said:
    Thermopop is a short, slower thermometer from the same company that makes the thermapen.   I wouldn't want one.  The javelin pro is a competitor with all the same features of the thermapen but quite a bit cheaper

Plenty long enough and a WHOPPING 2 seconds slower. Thermopop does the job just fine, OP you'll be glad you bought it.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Powak said:
    I'd like to get a quick and accurate thermometer but would like to avoid the $150 price tag of the Thermapen. What's the next best option? I picked up a $20 Taylor but it only turns on 20% of the time and then it takes forever to get a reading.
    The Thermopen is not $150.  I'm not sure where you got your info but thermopop was a good cheap alternative. I have both. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Golfguy77
    Golfguy77 Posts: 93
    Options
    Thermopop is the same length.  Reads in 5 sec vs. 3 sec.  I've got an extra 2 sec. To save a $100!
  • Chauncy
    Chauncy Posts: 47
    Options
    The only thermapen alternative is the javelin pro, not the thermapop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6N2UMzP79Q
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Buying quality only stings once. Just get the Thermopen. You won't find anyone who owns one that thinks they aren't worth every penny they paid for it. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Buying quality only stings once. Just get the Thermopen. You won't find anyone who owns one that thinks they aren't worth every penny they paid for it. 
    Some people buy Yeti's

Smart people buy Rtic's. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Thermapen !!!  Just do it so you won't lie in bed ever night wondering why you didn't do it right the first time....  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    Just bought myself the Javelin Pro and will be testing it out tomorrow. 
    LBGE circa 2016
  • nth78
    Options
    Coul said:
    Just bought myself the Javelin Pro and will be testing it out tomorrow. 
    You won't be sorry.
  • clemsontyger97
    clemsontyger97 Posts: 390
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have the RT600C and pleased with it after one year
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Powak
    Options
    Should I get the Classic Superfast Thermapen or the Mk4?
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Powak said:
    Should I get the Classic Superfast Thermapen or the Mk4?
    If you're dead set on getting a Thermapen I'd go ahead and spend the extra $20 and get the Mk4.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yeah just to reiterate the thermopens are pricey but they are not $150. The classic is $79 from the manufacturer. 

http://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen?gclid=COXp_L2J580CFcgjgQod_1wNgw

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Powak
    Options
    Yeah just to reiterate the thermopens are pricey but they are not $150. The classic is $79 from the manufacturer. 

http://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen?gclid=COXp_L2J580CFcgjgQod_1wNgw
    Yes I just realized that. I had made mistake of always looking at them on Amazon. If the Mk 4 is worth the extra $20 I'm sold. I need a good rugged and reliable thermometer and I'm done with the cheap stuff after having gone thru 3 thermometers.
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    The newest thermapen also uses triple aaa batteries.  The older model is a special batt you won't have in the drawer at home.  
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    nth78 said:
    Javelin Pro.  
    +1 on this 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Just bought 4 thermopops. Christmas shopping is done and everyone is getting yellow since it's one of the 4 colours at $20. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.