Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast fail again

Options
I've cooked chuck roast several times in the past with good results. I've always treated them like a pork butt-indirect 250 dome for about two hours a pound before checking temp. Pull around 200. Moist tender tasty, but not anymore. Previous roasts were from Publix the last two were from Kroger.
Several months ago, I had one stall for excessive time and finally in desperation for supper foiled and raised temp. Needless to say it was tough and dry.
Tonight I started with a 2.17 pound roast. I planned about four and half hours cooking time with an extra hour to allow for any problems. At four and a half hours, it was 150. Half hour later it was not moving. I had planned to pull at 6:15 and at 8:00 it was only 180. Again a failure.
Is a chuck roast a chuck roast or can it be something else? This one did not seem to have a lot of fat. Are small cuts of meat going to take abnormally longer per pound than larger cuts?
Next time I'll sear and put in dutch oven.
Thanks

Bob
Cooking on the coast

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I haven't yet done a chuck roast, but I really think the general rule about low and slow meats applies:

If it's tough, it's UNDERcooked, dry or not.  If it's dry AND falling apart or krispy (!), it's overcooked.

So two things:  First, forget about time and temperature; for some reason, your recent chuck roasts needed longer to cook than you estimated based on past cooks -- they just needed to be cooked longer.  If they were tough, they were undercooked.

Second, it does seem for whatever reason that most people seem to wind up braising a chuck roast for at least part of the cook (like the pepper stout beef @Focker recommended above, or search for Clay's Pulled Beef), so that might be worth a try next time.  By gosh, if you slowly braise shoe leather long enough it'll get tender sooner or later.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    If you're havin' beef problems, I feel bad for you son;
    I got 99 problems but the chuck ain't one.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Agree with @Focker, you need to braise it.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited July 2016
    Options
    A chuck roast (read pot roast) in the slow cooker with seasoning, vegetables and braising liquid...with a little liquid smoke added. Fantastic 100% of the time.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I would agree with needing to braise a chuck roast. I wouldn't expect a chuck roast to be tender by just throwing it on a grill till it hits a certain temp. A cut of meat like that needs braised. 
    NW IOWA
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have always used a braise for the last part of the cook and it works for me. I have also never had one probe like butter at less than 210 degrees.
    Stillwater, MN
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    I've had some turn out great, even without braising and others not so great.  I have read that smaller cuts can be more stubborn, and if you didn't see lots of fat, that could add to the issue. The pepper stout beef is a great idea because it uses liquid too and never fails. One of my favorite ways to do a chuckie, but sometimes you just want  straight up pulled beef. Hopefully your next one is better. 
    LBGE | Conroe, TX