Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"BBQ cut" meat

Options
A local grocery store near me sells most cuts in thicker "BBQ cut" varieties, such that you can get your T-bone or pork chop a little thicker for that perfect "crunchy-on-the-outside-tender-on-the-inside goodness" that just isn't as attainable with thin cuts. Of course, you can always ask the butcher to cut it a little thicker, but the designated cut is pretty handy if you ask me.

Just curious as as to whether this is common elsewhere, as this is the only place I've come across it.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Never heard it called that. But I'd probably grow to like it pretty quickly. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    It's convenient, because there's a whole fridge of them freshly packaged that way. Like I say, only place I've ever seen this. Unfortunately, it's seasonal, so it only lasts about late May to early Sept or so.
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    In Publix's that don't have an actual custom cut display case they call them Steakhouse cuts.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    In Publix's that don't have an actual custom cut display case they call them Steakhouse cuts.
    Publix in my area is a sad affair when it comes to butchers.
    They place no effort in cutting steaks uniformly.
    The cut is 1 1/4 on one end a 7/8 on the other.
    They cut steaks with a knife, they say corporate won't allow then to use a bandsaw with a thickness guide. They claim it's not a safety issue, rather a issue of the saw blade heating the meat causing it to spoil faster.

• dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    The market I usually go for meat has a case of "cowboy cuts" all year round usually about 2" thick, but if you want them thicker.. just ask!
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options

I no longer buy my steaks at Kroger for basically the same reason.  Kroger runs their steaks on sale in "family packs." Their family packs are usually 6-8 steaks cut to about 1/2".  This week they have rib-eye for $6.99 family packs and their nice 1 1/2"-2" rib-eyes in the meat case are $15.99.  It's the same meat! Some time ago I asked the guys at the meat counter and their answer was, "That's just the way we do it."  When I complained to the store manager she told me whenever I wanted thick cut steaks for the sale price to ask for her and she'd take me back to the meat counter. I told her if I have to get a store manager to buy my steak, I'll buy elsewhere.  Her answer was, "I'm sorry you feel that way."

We eat steak at least once a week and now buy at Costco and Publix. Costo's are cut fairly thick and Publix will cut whatever thickness I want.      

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    GregW said:
    NonaScott said:
    They cut steaks with a knife, they say corporate won't allow then to use a bandsaw with a thickness guide. They claim it's not a safety issue, rather a issue of the saw blade heating the meat causing it to spoil faster.

I had that problem with the one I used to shop at. The new one I go to now has a great custom meat case and they carry prime strips, rib eyes and tenderloin. They do a great job of cutting thick and even and have no problem doing what you want if you don't see it. They were recently featured in Fortune 500 magazine. Their seafood dept is great too. They have a list of about 50 varieties of fish that they will order for you and have it in 2 days. Guaranteed fresh.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    it's just a sales sticker.  they slap in on anything they are trying to sell.

since "BBQ" means anything from grilling over gas flame to actual smoking, and the meat cutter (there are very very few butchers) likely doesn't know the difference, they put it on any cut of meat.

steaks, chops, ribs....  never see it on brisket, funny enough.

here? a "BBQ" sticker means nothing.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have a food saver and big sharp knife. I buy the whole rib roast or what ever and cut my own steaks. I find it is usually cheaper if you wait for a sale on whole roast.    

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Webass said:

I no longer buy my steaks at Kroger for basically the same reason.  Kroger runs their steaks on sale in "family packs." Their family packs are usually 6-8 steaks cut to about 1/2".  This week they have rib-eye for $6.99 family packs and their nice 1 1/2"-2" rib-eyes in the meat case are $15.99.  It's the same meat! Some time ago I asked the guys at the meat counter and their answer was, "That's just the way we do it."  When I complained to the store manager she told me whenever I wanted thick cut steaks for the sale price to ask for her and she'd take me back to the meat counter. I told her if I have to get a store manager to buy my steak, I'll buy elsewhere.  Her answer was, "I'm sorry you feel that way."

We eat steak at least once a week and now buy at Costco and Publix. Costo's are cut fairly thick and Publix will cut whatever thickness I want.      

Love the way Costco cuts steak (and love their meat, minus the mechanical tenderization - to be concise, love the results but not the process.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    BBQ cut sounds like a good label to slap on a bag of NON GMO, organic, not tested on animal lump charcoal.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    GregW said:
    NonaScott said:

I had that problem with the one I used to shop at. The new one I go to now has a great custom meat case and they carry prime strips, rib eyes and tendeIrloin. They do a great job of cutting thick and even and have no problem doing what you want if you don't see it. They were recently featured in Fortune 500 magazine. Their seafood dept is great too. They have a list of about 50 varieties of fish that they will order for you and have it in 2 days. Guaranteed fresh.
    Good to hear that your Publix is doing a good job. We don't have any prime at our store.
    The seafood dept is pretty small also. They don't carry any US Gulf shrimp. It's all foreign mud puddle antibiotic marinated shrimp. I usually go to a local specialty seafood shop that carries fresh Gulf shrimp and oysters.