Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT any tree experts or arborists here?

Options
Storm took a bite of our huge poplar tree last night. I think jt was rotted at the top but my wife thinks its lightning, cant tell either way. Tree was about 50 feet tall and close to 24 inches diameter at the base. I think i need to drop it and make firewood, wife thinks its salvageable if we paint that tree tar on the broken spots. What say ye? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if close to anything, i would take it down. any idea how old it is, they dont live long. im betting next heavy wind and it breaks again, popalar up here is fairly soft and snow loads break them pretty often
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Not an expert, but definitely lightning. I'd drop it if it were mine
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I think its about 22-25 years old. Time to fire up the stihl. 

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    We have a Cottonwood in yard. From what I have read fast growing and short lived.  One of our dogs peeled a big hunk of bark off of it before the leaves showed up this year. Tree is doing very well. Just sprayed the bald spit on the trunk. If I don't water it the leaves will drop by mid-August.  Hit it with water and it will leave up again...
    I agree with what has been said...take it down...
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I tried to save a big maple a couple years ago that was struck.  It lasted about a year before I had to cut it down. Look at the trunk and see if you can see where bark was blown off of it. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    No, but I just paid one $2,600 today! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Call a local tree service.  They have experts there.  I just did this mainly to see if an old maple was worth keeping. I didn't know if it was dying or if I could trim dead branches, etc and it would be fine.  

He walked me around my entire property and identified all my trees for me and gave his opinions on them etc.  He also gave me a quote to drop the maple if I wanted to or to trim it up if i decided to keep it.  

All this was free.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    None of the bark is blown off, thats why i thought maybe it rotted at the crown and the wind blew it down. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Call a local tree service.  They have experts there.  I just did this mainly to see if an old maple was worth keeping. I didn't know if it was dying or if I could trim dead branches, etc and it would be fine.  

He walked me around my entire property and identified all my trees for me and gave his opinions on them etc.  He also gave me a quote to drop the maple if I wanted to or to trim it up if i decided to keep it.  

All this was free.

You have much better tree guys than we do.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options
    kl8ton said:

All this was free.

You have much better tree guys than we do.
    That's the difference between a certified arborist and a guy with a chainsaw.  You probably do have some arborists in your area than can provide a better service, but they will most likely cost more as well.

Back on topic, hard to tell from the pics, but it does look like the black areas could be burnt.  A closer inspection should reveal if it's a burn or rot.  The split looks to be pretty deep into the other branches.  If there is minimal danger of it coming down on it's own and landing on something later, and you want to save it, go for it.  But keep an eye on it.  Trees can do an amazing job at healing themselves sometimes.  Or they just rot and die.

If there is significant storm damage in your area, the arborists may be pretty busy cleaning up storm damage, so you may need a little patience if it's not an emergency and you are looking for an expert opinion.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @RiverRatSkier The place I used has 5 or more certified arborists on staff.  The guy that showed up WAS an ISA certified arborist.  I should have recorded our conversation because i only retained 5-10% of it.  A wealth of knowledge.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Not sure, but I do know that after paying to have a 100 yr old dead tree brought down last month that I clearly made the wrong career-decision.   
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Not sure, but I do know that after paying to have a 100 yr old dead tree brought down last month that I clearly made the wrong career-decision.   
    LOL, but the sales clerk from whom I bought my first two eggs was married to a fellow who has had a local tree service company for a dozen years. She had to work to supplement the family income since as she said his workers' comp insurance was horribly costly and professional competition was fierce. On top of that dudes with a pick up truck and a chain saw were always underbidding all the pros.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Shoot, at a dollar per stick at Hawgeyes for smokewood, it opens up other avenues.....buy a couple KBQs, private cater.  =)

It is cool, watching arborists pick apart a huge tree.  Running a saw safely is nothing to shake a stick at.  You can be 100% safe, and still get bit. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    +1 w/@RiverRatSkier!  If it's within 50 ft of anything it could damage if it falls down again.. away it should go... otherwise, unless you just "hate it" I'd leave it alone!

I've got several Hickories in the front pasture that 4 or 5 years ago I thought needed to go but... I had another beer and, of course, one should not operate power equipment after drinking!  Those trees are doing great and I toast them with a beer every night!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• milesvdustin
    Options
    It was a real nice tree. Oh well, itll make a hell of a bonfire!

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Once damaged, the clock is ticking....  If it was in my yard, it'd be down within the week. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    It's going to die, might be within a year or two, might make it ten......but it's toast.  I had an arborist tell me just last week that it's just like blunt force trauma--not necessarily the electricity.  If it can blow a piece of 20 ft piece of bark off the tree and throw it halfway across the yard, imagine what vibration and trauma the rest of the wood behind piece that felt.  Plus if it's now missing bark, that effects how the water flows and it will begin to decay......the carpenter ants love it.  Those guys really know their stuff--no wonder they're 4x the cost of a bubba with a chainsaw on Craigslist!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bad time for trees. Arborist just told us we have Oak Wilt. He tagged 23 oaks next to the house. Asking $5300 to treat now and could have to do every 2 to 3 years as well. Also several to most could still die. Three died in last two weeks. We are going to treat with sugar, corn meal, Texas green sand and turkey poop. Hope it works. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    City of St. Louis is taking down 15,000 ash trees this year.  The ash borer is has taken its toll and this is there plan to stop it.

Also, relevant story.......the "Treaty Oak" in Austin had been poisoned many years ago.  They ended up removing most of the soil, then using charcoal powder to help draw the herbicide out of the root system.  Ross Perot bankrolled the whole thing and they saved the tree.  I never knew this story, but heard it from the same arborist.  I laughed told him what I did for a living, then gave him a bunch of charcoal fines to try out.  The next day I got a call from the president of the St. Louis Aborist's Society asking me to come speak at their next meeting about biochar soil amendments.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    A lower branch on my neighbor's live oak split 1/3 of the trunk half way to the ground.  This happened during hurricane Katrina over 10 years ago.  I cut off the branch, drilled a hole and put in an 18" lag bolt and pulled the trunk back together.   Today the tree is completely healthy and you can barely tell 1/3 of the trunk split almost to the ground.
    Options
    A lower branch on my neighbor's live oak split 1/3 of the trunk half way to the ground.  This happened during hurricane Katrina over 10 years ago.  I cut off the branch, drilled a hole and put in an 18" lag bolt and pulled the trunk back together.   Today the tree is completely healthy and you can barely tell 1/3 of the trunk split almost to the ground.
    So that's how nuts and bolts get into lump...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    And your chainsaw chain. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would feel bad for anyone who tried to cut that down with a chain saw.
    Options
    nolaegghead said:
    I would feel bad for anyone who tried to cut that down with a chain saw.
    The tree you patched up with a bolt or the one i have? 

Mine should be easy, only thing nearby is that basketball goal and if i dropped the tree on it my feelings would be unaffected. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    nolaegghead said:

Mine should be easy, only thing nearby is that basketball goal and if i dropped the tree on it my feelings would be unaffected. 
    yeah....and as the smart@ss that I am.....you might move the cars too.....Seriously, its a shame....love the shade those guys give off.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Ill be starting tonight. Ill post up some pics. 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Bad time for trees. Arborist just told us we have Oak Wilt. He tagged 23 oaks next to the house. Asking $5300 to treat now and could have to do every 2 to 3 years as well. Also several to most could still die. Three died in last two weeks. We are going to treat with sugar, corn meal, Texas green sand and turkey poop. Hope it works. 
    Never heard of Oak Wilt. Must not be common in Alabama.

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Had ab arborist in my clinic today. He said if wind blew enough to break a significant part of the tree then it's weak enough to not trust. Said something wasn't right with the tree. If lightning caused, the heat from the bolt has destroyed the tree internally. 

Either way, get it down was his suggestion. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Only got the stuff on the ground cut up and about 7 low limbs cut off before it started pouring and lightning out of nowhere. So i have about 15 minutes in so far. 

I did make some cedar plank salmon and roasted asparagus for dinner. Only took a glamour shot pre cook of the salmon.