Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ignore this useless post. Simply padding post count

Options
Darby_Crenshaw
Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
I took no after pics. And I was dubious. I knew I was screwed and that it would not work.  I did everything wrong. And yet... it turned out great. Not me, it was the fire and smoke. 

we had a ton of food today, but I added a half a picnic shoulder to the menu at the last second. I have never done a small shoulder nor a turbo butt. 

got up at 7 and lit the BGE. Crap. I needed to add new lump, and so it stunk for a while. i let it blow off the stink as much as possible while prepped the butt, and at 8 it went on with guests arriving at NOON. Needed to be done in four or five hours max. I cranked it to 375-400 and let it ride. 

Only half a picnic. Total pansy. But we had way too much other food to justify a full one. Meh. I wanted some  and wanted to try a turbo  

Around 1pm i probed it with my ancient thermapen (replaced battery after five years dead in a drawer, yesterday.) it was 195-200. Yanked it and rested (to cool a bit) as i seared six pounds of chicken and beef teryaki, and some sausage and burgers (no pics, even less worthy than this butt cook).  

Went in to shred the pork and asked my sister in law "want some of the bark?"  And she said "what's bark?"

Well. She found out real quick.  possibly the best bark i have ever had. She had a piece and said "oh my go"  by the time my brother could come in to have some, i had eaten the rest 

Did everything wrong. Half a butt. 375. Tossed it on before the 'bad smoke' had cleared. Added a bunch of hickory and it had thundering rolling too-much white smoke for an hour. 

Was near perfect. Only issue was it was narrow (being half a picnic) and so some parts a bit too done

In lieu of the finished pic (you have all seen a damn pork butt) a couple shots from the day

Dad's Merc ('56)

Our parade. Runs three hours. Lots of New Englanders feelin all 'Murica!!

This street is almost 400 years old. My wife and I were honored to live in this house, the oldest in town and a 'first period' house (feel free to google it, doxxers). Built alongside a footpath pounded into the ground for a thousand years by the tribe who occupied the land.  This land and the lake it's on were purchased from an Indian whose name the lake still bears. Full price too  none of this "shiny beads!" stuff.

This date is actually late by about twenty  years. (Humblebrag: I painted the lower sign. Me-so-crafty)

And out of left field (but relevant re the day) a Riverside Press edition of JRL's "Democracy ". Our local liberal rag (Boston Globe!) prints the Dec of Indy every Fourth, which I always read. But this has some relevance today too.  

in a binding executed over a week or so by my great great grandfather, in 1902  one of the more important in the collection (to me i mean)

There was food in this post. So it counts, as I am reasonably informed. Two down. 998 to go to catch up to the big man

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking grub and a cool a$$ car for sure.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    The car is an 'after' pic. Sadly. None available for the food
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    Options
    The car is an 'after' pic. 
    I'm slowly restoring my dads 64 Chevelle. It's been a work in progress.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My brother restored a '70 Chevelle. 396 bored out to a 404 (IIRC). 

Sold it to a 'friend' for $3000. Friend flipped for $10. And that was twenty years ago. 

Bwa bwa bwaaaaaaa (trombone slide)

speant a lot of time at carshows and flea markets ca 1972-1980 with my dad and brother

can still spot the difference between a '35 and '36 ford V8 from across the median strip of a highway. 

Those were some fun years

• SGH
    Options
    My brother restored a '70 Chevelle. 396 bored out to a 404 (IIRC). 

Dads Chevelle sadly does not have the original engine in it. He replaced it with a 327 out of a 68 Vette. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Scottie - you're not following directions.  Ignore this useless post.

Our neighborhood is relatively new compared to yours.  Established 1719. http://www.algiershistoricalsociety.org/algiers-history.html

I used to own the old police stations, which turned into a masonic temple that had parties that saw Buddy Bolden playing trumpet.  (house top left in photo below)

Beats the hell out of living in suburbia.

Options
    Scottie - you're not following directions.  Ignore this useless post.
    I'm just a old rogue ;)

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Cool post! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I loved this useless post.

My SWMBO and I have wanted to visit your area of the country for quite some time. We've never spent time there to check it all out. Always seems so interesting and historic.

Maybe someday !!

Great thread.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day.  Great post-living the history right there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Very cool. My wife grew up in Wakefield and has been in that parade several times from childhood through her days in the school marching band. 

These days her mom lives in the cape and we go to the Orleans parade every year. 

And nice cook. It was made easier by the egg. Would have been hard to pull that off under those constraints with any of my other cookers. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    I am in newton, nice to see locals here that know how to cook. 
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw. Well done.  I am a turbo cook myself.  ;)
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    thanks guys.

really wanted an 'after' pic, because it was a new one for me (going extra-turbo-plus).  i seriously had ZERO expectations for a four to five hour cook of a pork butt, but it really turned out great. no foiling or anything. just 350-375 for the duration (hit 400 for a while too).  figured it would be hard and overcooked, but not fall-apart. but it was

but taking pics of food would not have flown with that crowd... hahaha

nice to have the thermapen working.  i havd (had!) a moisture resistant one, but when i opened it to change its battery also, the thing looked like the battery had burst or water had gotten inside.  so much for that one.  tossed it in the trash

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    after 3 years of my uncles 56 tbird in the shop here its finally out for paint =)  im still for low and slows but my brother just buys a 8 pound boneless and splays it on the grid open, nooks and crannies up and it is done in about 5
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Cool post... I'm in Marblehead, any good Butcher Shops by you?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Your post padding sucks.  You could have gotten 8 from that 1.  Then we would really believe what you say.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Your story's very familiar to me.  I cooked two turbo butts last Thursday to bring to the coast for the weekend.  First time I tried turbo.  I was working and rushed the setup, put them on bad smoke, temp got away from me and ran up to 500 (had to put a water bowl in to take them temp down) and burned the bark.  Pulled and sauced and served for dinner on Friday night.  People thought it was one of the best they'd had.

I don't get it.

Cool looking town you live in.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Love the binding @Darby_Crenshaw. That's some very cool family history right there. Looks like your 4th parades are a bit more authentic than they are most places. We have politicians handing out free water bottles and "dum-dum" suckers at most of our parades. Happy 4th to you!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Great post!  A pork shoulder or butt is pretty forgiving, and the big green egg is very forgiving with the moist heat it gives off from being so air tight.  I doubt the high heat smokes could be pulled off so well with the dry heat of other cookers.  Gotta love the egg.  #egghead4life
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Only butt we have ever done at 400* was in our Reverse Flow. Intention was not to run it that high...but had no small logs. Was a bit dry. Have done more than 1, in the Egg, at a FlameBoss controlled 325*....very tasty. We do very little at 225* anymore. Reverse Flow is not a happy camper under 250*......
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited July 2016
    Options

From first picture...

38 Church Street was built in 1803 by Francis Hay, a cabinet-maker and the son of Dr. John Hay, who lived in the vicinity of today’s North Avenue.

After living there for a time, Hay sold one-half of the house and land to his widowed sister, Elizabeth Hay Nichols, and the other half to Ebenezer Hartshorn, a brother of Col. James Hartshorn, who owned the house across the street. Ebenezer Hartshorn later acquired title to all the property at 38 Church Street and lived there for half a century.

Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    And yours...

41 Church Street, the Colonel James Hartshorne House.  The earliest part of this house was built circa 1681 by Thomas and Mary Hodgman.  A subsequent owner, Jonathan Cowdrey, was a clock and buckle maker who enlarged the house to two bays.  Years later the house was owned by Dr. John Hart, a Revolutionary War surgeon and patriot, who used the house as income property.  He enlarged the house to its present size and used it as an inn; the second floor was used by the Mount Moriah Lodge of Masons.

The house was already very old when James Hartshorne, a cordwainer or shoemaker, bought the house in 1804.  His family continued to own the house until 1890, when it was sold, along with the lakeside land adjoining it, to the Morrill-Atwood Ice House.  The house was used intermittently as a tenement for icehouse workers until a devastating fire demolished the icehouses in 1929.  At that time the house was purchased by the Town of Wakefield.  It is administered and maintained by the Colonel James Hartshorne House Association.

Greensboro, NC
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited July 2016
    Options

Wolfpack said:
    And yours...

41 Church Street, the Colonel James Hartshorne House.  The earliest part of this house was built circa 1681 by Thomas and Mary Hodgman.  A subsequent owner, Jonathan Cowdrey, was a clock and buckle maker who enlarged the house to two bays.  Years later the house was owned by Dr. John Hart, a Revolutionary War surgeon and patriot, who used the house as income property.  He enlarged the house to its present size and used it as an inn; the second floor was used by the Mount Moriah Lodge of Masons.

The house was already very old when James Hartshorne, a cordwainer or shoemaker, bought the house in 1804.  His family continued to own the house until 1890, when it was sold, along with the lakeside land adjoining it, to the Morrill-Atwood Ice House.  The house was used intermittently as a tenement for icehouse workers until a devastating fire demolished the icehouses in 1929.  At that time the house was purchased by the Town of Wakefield.  It is administered and maintained by the Colonel James Hartshorne House Association.

the left most portion of 41 church likely predates 1681.  1663 is the first reference i found to a house on that spot. 

no.  there are no ghosts.

but (swear to god) the north walls did drip blood two days before halloween. 

caretakers live there rent free, and pay no utilities.  only house directly on the Lake, too. and they launched the fireworks for a couple years right from the shore behind us (kinda crazy if you ask me, fire-hazard-wise)

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Adding to my post as well