Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Melted cheese in the firebox.

Options
every time I cook burgers I always manage some cheese on the side of the egg and down in the fire box? Who cleans it out,who lets it burn off over the next few cooks? 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    All that good stuff in the firebox just makes for extra flavor on the next cook. I wouldn't worry about it at all- next time you light up and wait for the temp to stabilize it will be all burned up. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    It'll burn off

sounds like your method may be at issue though if this is a frequent occurrence? :\
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    Same issues. I just burn off with next cook.
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    to answer your question, I would either open the vents for 20 min at the end of the cook, or let it burn off next time.  

To solve your problem, I would suggest trying CI griddle next time. Or even better smash burgers. Think thin and crusty. 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    It'll burn off...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    As others have said it will burn off so no sweat - OTOH I occasionally egg a burger known locally as a Gebby Burger made popular by a local family brick and mortar restaurant that has an unusual business pattern that has worked for them for years. That is they open at 6AM and close 8 hours later at 2PM.

Any way the Gebby Burger is topped with 3 slices of cheese - American, Swiss and pepper jack. As you might imagine that means a lot of hot cheese melting and potentially runs off. To prevent that I stack the 3 slices while cold and then take a knife and cut off the 4 corners, lift the top most slice, put the 12 corners back in so there is no waste and place the top slice back on! PRESTO no more wasted hot cheese in my fire box! HTH

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.