Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What happened to customer service BBQ Guru?

Options
I usually don't post negative rants but this one has got me pretty perturbed.  I purchased a PartyQ for my MiniMax last Wednesday, paid extra for overnight shipping so I could use it over the holiday weekend and it arrived on time as expected.  Put a butt on Saturday morning and the device worked flawlessly for the first 2 hours of cooking and then i noticed the LCD screen was going out.  Sometimes all of the temp was visible and other times not.  No worries since it was't affecting my cook I figured i'd deal with it Tuesday and get a replacement.  The butt came out perfect and all was well until the lovely folks at the BBQ Guru told me I'd have to send it back, have it inspected and then they would inform me what they intend to do with it.  I was told this process could take several weeks.  I kindly asked if they could just get me another one to replace it since it was obviously defective (pictures were sent to them to support my claims.  Pretty cut and dry) and was told that it was not their policy to replace items that had been used until after they inspected it.  So now after purchasing the $145 controller and paying for the expedited shipping they are telling me that i will be without my purchase for several weeks.  This is NOT good customer service.  If you are in the market for a guru product you may want to think twice.  Not that their products aren't good, as I stated the unit worked as advertised, but good customer service makes the product even better.  Odds are of the thousands of controllers they sell only a handful have problems, it's just nice knowing that if you do get a lemon the folks will take care of you better than what i am currently experiencing.   
Buford, GA  LBGE, BGE MiniMax

Comments

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    since this is your first post it doesn't look like you post anything but negative rants.  Anyway good luck with the guru, hope it works out.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • StaMic006
    StaMic006 Posts: 13
    Options
    since this is your first post it doesn't look like you post anything but negative rants.  Anyway good luck with the guru, hope it works out.
    I'm new to this forum.  Usually spend more time on other forums under the same handle.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Thanks to my absolutely horrible customer service they will never be getting another dime from me. FlameBoss....or if you are only looking for a controller that monitors the Egg Auber 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree that sounds like a pretty crappy policy.  They should just send you a new one and then fix and sell this one as a refurb/open box. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Do they have a return policy? Return it if you feel like the product or service doesn't meet your standards 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • StaMic006
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Thanks to my absolutely horrible customer service they will never be getting another dime from me. FlameBoss....or if you are only looking for a controller that monitors the Egg Auber 
    Love my flame boss.  It's what I use on my home rig.  The partyQ was for my MiniMax that stays with the 5th wheel.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    PartyQ is battery powered right? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • StaMic006
    Options
    Yes.  One of the only battery powered ones I could find.  
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    FlameBoss has a battery pack for their unit works great !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    I would be bummed also but it seems alittle pushy, at least thats how it came off. If i were in your shoes i would ask for a refund if possible. If not, then rave, rant, blow up social media and get it off your chest. Makes me feel better at least.
    Austin, Tx
  • GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    Options
    Their warranty policy is stated quite clearly on their web site. They also say that you cannot return the PartyQ after you have used it and recommend testing the unit before placing it into service. Sometimes it is best to read the terms before you enter into an agreement.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    StaMic006 said:
    Yes.  One of the only battery powered ones I could find.  
    The screen is the first thing to go when the batteries get weak. Even if they were new to you, I would try fresh batteries before sending back. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Did the unit continue to function but just the screen wasn't legible? Was the unit in direct sunlight? LCD screens will often fade or wash out if placed in direct sun, but return to normal when they cool down.

And you're not the first one to be cheesed about their customer service. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options

And you're not the first one to be cheesed about their customer service. 
    Best of luck to the OP.

I agree. I contacted them at least 4-5 times within the first few months of ownership when I had issues with my CyberQ Wifi and never did get a response of any kind. Thankfully I have a friend who is an electronics wizard and he helped me get it running again. I will look elsewhere next time I make a purchase like that. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    I have used BBQ Guru, Flame Boss, and SmoBot.

Flame Boss and BBQ Guru are comparable functionality.  Flame Boss fit and finish is better, and Customer Service is phenomenal!

SmoBot would be my recommended travel unit.  On batteties I have gotten over 30 hrs of use.  With a smokeware adapter it will fit the MM.

BBQ Guru just doesn't have the customer service we have come to expect from the new companies.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    That's a real shame to hear this as Shotgun Fred who invented the Guru products was a standup guy. When he passed away his son took over the company. RIP Shotgun Fred
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    If you would have bought it from a dealer, we would have swapped it out then dealt with that BS for you........but, they axe'd all their dealers back in March.

Don't forget your credit card has purchase protection.  Return it, get your money back, and order another.  Or, just return it and hook your FB up to 12V.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'd normally be skeptical of a flaming first post, but I've had a similar experience with them.  Returned it, and will go flame boss if I ever need another controller.

fyi, he doesn't push it here, but contact @stlcharcoal for your new one.

Phoenix 
  • dmack
    dmack Posts: 56
    Options
    I have a Thermoworks. The display goes blank from the sunlight, or in highlight days. If I cover it with a towel the display comes back. I thought the first time I used mine it was bad. It had something to do with high light periods. Try that see if that was it. 
    Dmcak.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    RRP said:
    That's a real shame to hear this as Shotgun Fred who invented the Guru products was a standup guy. When he passed away his son took over the company. RIP Shotgun Fred
    I guess things are a lot different now. Years ago when I purchased my wireless Procom Guru if memory serves me was around $500 with all the accessories.
    Back then you could give them your Paypal account and they would debit monthly payments until the purchase was paid off.

They went the extra mile to make the sale, and they really supported the product. 
  • StaMic006
    Options
    I tried fresh batteries after my cook and it was the same result. As far as the sunlight issue, it was under an ez up tent the entire time. I also tested the unit prior to install for a few minutes. I wouldn't have thought I needed to run it any longer than that for a function test.  
  • StaMic006
    Options
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I, on the other hand have nothing but praise for the good ol folks @ the 'Guru ... I own a Party Q ... was confused about how it worked (should have read the instructions) called them, actually spoke to the guy who guy who runs the company, he walked me thru the system then .... gave me his personal cell # and told me if I had any more problems to give him a call. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • BBQbutler
    BBQbutler Posts: 82
    Options
    StaMic006 said:
    I usually don't post negative rants but this one has got me pretty perturbed.  I purchased a PartyQ for my MiniMax last Wednesday, paid extra for overnight shipping so I could use it over the holiday weekend and it arrived on time as expected.  Put a butt on Saturday morning and the device worked flawlessly for the first 2 hours of cooking and then i noticed the LCD screen was going out.  Sometimes all of the temp was visible and other times not.  No worries since it was't affecting my cook I figured i'd deal with it Tuesday and get a replacement.  The butt came out perfect and all was well until the lovely folks at the BBQ Guru told me I'd have to send it back, have it inspected and then they would inform me what they intend to do with it.  I was told this process could take several weeks.  I kindly asked if they could just get me another one to replace it since it was obviously defective (pictures were sent to them to support my claims.  Pretty cut and dry) and was told that it was not their policy to replace items that had been used until after they inspected it.  So now after purchasing the $145 controller and paying for the expedited shipping they are telling me that i will be without my purchase for several weeks.  This is NOT good customer service.  If you are in the market for a guru product you may want to think twice.  Not that their products aren't good, as I stated the unit worked as advertised, but good customer service makes the product even better.  Odds are of the thousands of controllers they sell only a handful have problems, it's just nice knowing that if you do get a lemon the folks will take care of you better than what i am currently experiencing.   
    I bought my cyberQ on Amazon.  ( actually a warehouse deal so even cheaper than amazons normal price).  Amazon seems to take the return process out of the loop!
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    GregW said:
    RRP said:
    I guess things are a lot different now. Years ago when I purchased my wireless Procom Guru if memory serves me was around $500 with all the accessories.
    Back then you could give them your Paypal account and they would debit monthly payments until the purchase was paid off.

They went the extra mile to make the sale, and they really supported the product. 
    I don't want to come across as the historian here, but out of respect for a deceased egger here's something to know about Shotgun Fred - inventor of the BBQ Guru. Fred was an engineer and inventor with a wealth of patents - mostly in the oil related biz, but also electronics. When he died he left $25 million to the University of Texas for engineering student scholarships. At that time and probably still standing was that was the largest private donation in the U of T history. As I said - I'm posting this in respect.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.