Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Independence Day Weekend Food

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So this weekend I camped out at my buddy's place and cooked, drank, and ate.
I don't feeling like writing an essay, so here's some pics.

Friday night to start
Rack of lamb with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express

Ahi Tuna Steaks

Saturday early AM I put an 8.5# untrimmed brisket on. Not sure how much I trimmed off. Partway through, I put some pork belly strips on rubbed with Dizzy Dust.

For lunch some sockeye salmon with Dizzy Pig Raging River

Some ribs, I think with Raging River

Brisket wrapped and belly cut up for burnt ends.

ABTs over the ribs

Brisket done

Someone brought one of those bacon wrapped meat and cheese pies to egg. The bacon was gummy on the to bottom so we pulled it out of the pan and on the grid to finish. Turned out pretty good. I think the key is with these to cook most of the way in the pan, then pull it out once it has firmed up to finish.

And that was it for Saturday night. There were some other things cooked, but I didn't get pics.

Early Sunday AM (around 1), the star of the show went on.

Around noon, more pork belly strips for pork belly burnt ends. Saturday was a trial run to confirm timing, Sunday was the main event.

Cooked a few burgers for lunch and snacks, here's one.

Apps on the eggs. Wings, bacon wrapped tots, and ABTs. There were more ABTs and bacon wrapped dates, didn't get pics of those.

And piggy was ready

The pig was 93# dressed and we had plenty of leftovers. Probably because of the amount of apps we served. We served around 120-130 on Sunday and no-one left hungry or thirsty.

And he rented a soft ice-cream machine, so there was that.

And I think there were sides and salads somewhere, I didn't notice.

I have more pics, but that's enough I think.

We had a blast, I was exhausted yesterday, turned in around 9 PM, which is really unusual for me.

Hope everyone had a great holiday, one of the best on the calendar in my opinion.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Dammit man!
    Snellville, GA

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sounds like we were on the same page BAC wise. Looks like a great weekend. 
  • Golfguy77
    Golfguy77 Posts: 93
    Options
    Good god!  That was one heck of a weekend cooking.
  • DMW
    Options
    @Eggdicted_Dawgfan @theyolksonyou @Golfguy77 - Thanks, we had a blast.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Nice work!  How is the belly for burnt ends ?  I've been using the boneless country style ribs (sliced butt), but wonder about using belly whenever I see it all sliced up at Costco. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Good god that's a lot of food.  I think I gained 5pds just looking at this thread.  Curious about the burnt ends as well.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Man, that looks like a lot of fun and all the food looks awesome!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Wow ! You guys must have had a great time. The grub look amazing. Did you find any time to rest and enjoy a few beverages? Nicely done sir.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Just Amazing - well done!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    What a boatload of food....many great meals.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Damn Dwayne! That was a lot of cooking.
    I was wondering on the weight of the pig.
    Ours was a 90#er, not sure if on the hoof or dressed weight. I didn't get it, just delegated to cook it.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • DMW
    Options
    @Legume and @saluki2007 - Thanks! The pork belly burnt ends are amazing. Melt in your mouth combo of flavor, fat, and a bit of meat. That said, these are an app. I certainly would not want to eat a plate of these.

@Hotch - Not much time to rest Fri-Sun, but there was time for beverages. :smiley: Resting happened on Monday.

@pescadorzih - What did you cook your hog on?

And everyone else, thanks!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @DMW Brother D, I'm going to keep it short and to the point. It looks fukking incredible my brother. If I had a triple seal this cook would certainly earn it and then some. With that said and aside, I proudly give this cook the double seal my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    I'm stunned that this post was not still on the first page when I bumped it. What more could anyone want. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    DMW said:

D, as great as everything looks, there is just something about this burger that beckons to my inner slob. I could really put a hurting on 6 or 8 of those about now. 

Status- Standing by.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    This is one of the most inspiring posts I have seen in the year or so I've been hanging around here. That pig is spectacular. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Damn Dwayne, you killed it.  Wish I'd been there for all that beautiful food!  Next time I see you, you better weigh more than me! ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    @DMW, it was a homemade pit. I don't even know what it was in its prior life. They usually cook chicken on it. But the tray was made for a pig as it had a drain built into it.
    I was concerned about temp management, but it held temp very well.
    SE PA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Dude, that's like the grand slam of BGEgging!! I lost count of the animals and cuts you dished up.

Bravo!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    @DMW  did you do anything special for the pork belly burnt ends, or same technique as burnt ends from country style ribs/butt?

I have some pork belly strips in my freezer that could use this treatment.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    @DMW here's a couple pics of it.

SE PA
  • DMW
    Options
    @johnnyp - Typical burnt end treatment. I used DP Dizzy Dust, smoked for 4 or 5 hours until tender. The cubed up and in a pan with more rub and sauce. For sauce I used The Shed Southern Sweet. Back in the smoker for another hour or so. Give them a try.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    @pescadorzih - I like the looks of that pit, old school.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• pescadorzih
    Options
    @DMW, I'm trying to decide if I want to do a brisket in it next year. I used a 40# bag in it for the pig and still had coals left after 10 hrs. As shown in the one pic, I only lit the coals in the center and let it burn out towards the ends.
    Could I do a pseudo turbo brisket in 10-12 hrs? I normally do a 20 hr cook for packers.
    SE PA
  • DMW
    Options
    @DMW, I'm trying to decide if I want to do a brisket in it next year. I used a 40# bag in it for the pig and still had coals left after 10 hrs. As shown in the one pic, I only lit the coals in the center and let it burn out towards the ends.
    Could I do a pseudo turbo brisket in 10-12 hrs? I normally do a 20 hr cook for packers.
    You can certainly cook a brisket in 10-12 hours. The 8.5# I put on Sat around 7AM, took off around 6PM or so. I did wrap it as it was coming out of the stall and bark was decent.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    I'm agreeing with SGH about that burger. Great looking buffet!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • SGH
    Options
    My inner slob compels me to bump this. So in the words made famous by brother Haucheritz, to the top.........

Status- Standing by.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Ok next july 4 i am coming over.   Looks like an incredible time
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    I'm sad that I missed this the first time around. Rather see it later than never though. Very nice.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Outstanding. Simply outstanding. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX