Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lasagna on egg question

Options
mrs_story
mrs_story Posts: 136
I just mentioned my husband's birthday in another post.  I thought it best to keep these posts separate. 

He always wants me to fix a homemade lasagna for his birthday.  I was wondering about baking it on the BGE this year.

The BGE is still new to us.  I normally use a glass dish.  I did a search, and saw someone else's lasagna baked in a metal dish.  Is metal more prudent than glass?  I assume I would get it up to my normal baking temp (~350) & just bake for the same length of time I normally do.  I cover with foil for the 1st hour and remove for another 15-20 minutes.  Does that seem right?  Any pointers? 

It would be nice to bake his lasagna without heating up the house.  I would also make some homemade rosemary bread the day before and use the day old bread to make garlic bread on the grill (we LOVE grilled bread!!!). 

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I've made lasagna on my egg, very expensive meal. I paid close to $35 dollars for all the ingredients. Oh get me wrong, it came out incredible .. but you can buy a lot of premade lasagna for that kind of money. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    Glass should be fine as long as it's not in the direct path of the heat source, i.e. us an indirect setup.  I use a cheap ceramic dish all the time.  With an indirect setup, the egg is basically an oven.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    treat it like an oven.  the glass dish has no idea whether it is in a 350 oven or a 350 egg.

setup indirect of course.

i use a glass dish.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    You can egg it indirect just like oven.  Can't beat homemade lasagna!!!!  Your husband will love it. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • mrs_story
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
     . . . you can buy a lot of premade lasagna for that kind of money. 

I only did store bought frozen lasagna one year.  He really dropped the ball with my birthday in February, Mother's Day, and our anniversary in June.  So I made him his birthday lasagna, but it was a frozen one from Sam's.  He did much better the next year. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Agree with @Darby_Crenshaw but would like to add that I usually will run about 50° hotter than recipe calls for when I'm baking in the egg.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • mrs_story
    Options
    See, I hadn't thought about the indirect setup.  I thought about the fact that 350 is 350.  But I didn't figure in the plate setter.   I don't want go through assembling the lasagna & baking it in the egg, only to ruin it with some amateur mistake like that. 

I thank you for your input!  My husband will thank you, too!  :D
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Good luck! Standing by to see the results.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Cook in glass all the time- works fine. 

If you really want to get the smokey flavor cold smoke the cheese you use to assemble. 

It really adds a lot of flavor
    Greensboro, NC