Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie and regulating heat

Options
josefsj
josefsj Posts: 2
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
I'm not 100% sure if I have too much lump coal loaded up in my egg but, with the bottom vent open no more than half and inch and the top lid open about a 1/4 inch, I'm thinking that I should be able to get my dome temp around 250 (hopefully lower) when I start smoking stuff.  I've been tinkering around with easier stuff so I don't ruin a nice brisket or even a rack of ribs so....

With that configuration, I'm still hovering around 350 dome temp.  Anyone have any other tips?  I loaded my lump coal up to the first ring in the egg (I guess it's the bottom bowl?).  Like I said, newbie with the egg here...  Suggestions are highly appreciated!!!!

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Welcome aboard. For me to hit 250 on my XL I have the bottom vent open sightly less than 1/4 inch - and the top is the same. Play with it some and make minor adjustments. And give it 30 minutes or so to see the effect. 

I hope that helps. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    that bottom vent can be closed about 75 percent more, top daisy almost shut. we used to shoot for 220 dome and the bottom vent was open the thickness of a credit card
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jstewart12a
    jstewart12a Posts: 144
    Options
    I am somewhat of a newbie since i have had my egg since may. What I have learned is to start adjusting the vents and daisy wheel before you get to your desired temp because once you overshoot its hard to get the temp back down.
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Its the airflow to the lump that determines the temperature. 2 exceptions. Some fires burn straight down in a column and die when they hit the bottom grate, leaving plenty of lump along the sides. The other is if there is only a tiny amount left to burn.

For low cooks, 250 and lower, its not uncommon top have both the top and bottom closed to mere cracks. And in some cases, the gasket seal isn't quite tight, in which case it can be impossible to extinguish the fire.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Not sure where you've gotten the idea that 1/4" should be the right amount for 250°, but I'd say abandon any dogma about what "should" be right, and just recognize that if the fire's too hot, you need to cut down on the air flow, REGARDLESS of how nearly closed they might seem to you.  If they fire's too hot, they need to be closed more.  If you have them closed completely and the fire's too hot, then air's coming in some other way (like leaking in around the gasket or something).

I often think about the Emperor's New Clothes, and I think all of us can get so focused on some idea that we just don't see what's in front of our eyes.  Trust what you see.  If the fire's too hot, you need to cut back on the air flow.

I never cook below 250° anymore, but it sometimes seems to me that I have to shut the vents to barely a crack to get the temp that low.  

Just keep shutting them more and more until you get the temp you want.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    amount of lump really has no effect on the temp, unless it gets going too hot and then it will take a while to throttle back.

if your temp is too high, it's always because your vents are too open.  even when you think they aren't.

250 for me is a sliver of the lower vent, much less than a quarter inch

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• josefsj
    josefsj Posts: 2
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Gotcha, I was just reading and watching vids on temp regulating and got a few tips of how much gap should be set for low temps like this.  I kept telling myself that mine may vary from others but couldn't get it in my head to close more.  I'll try the "barely cracked" method tonight to see if it works.  If it doesn't, I'll look more into where the airflow may be getting in as this is a brand new egg and should be pretty well sealed.

I love the idea of not opening the vents up wide open at first, let the coal heat up with minimal airflow at first.  Makes sense as getting the temp up higher makes it more difficult to bring back down.

Thanks a ton to all that replied!  I'm sure I'll have more questions later.  Right now, all that I've cooked on this thing have been great!  Papa Murphy's pizza being the most raved about with the family thus far.
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    I'm making note to share this with my husband.  He did a pretty good job at maintaining the ~250 this weekend, but this has good information that could be helpful in the future. 

Thanks, everyone!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    There is a really good temp regulation thread, but for whatever reason the mods are against sticky threads.
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
     . . . for whatever reason the mods are against sticky threads.
    ?  Sticky threads? 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    A sticky thread example would be an extremely informative thread about a regularly talked about topic, ie temp control, that no matter the date of the last post it remains at the top of the forum.  Another common example would be forum rules or an introduction thread.
  • Theophan
    Options
    josefsj said:
    ... I love the idea of not opening the vents up wide open at first, let the coal heat up with minimal airflow at first.  Makes sense as getting the temp up higher makes it more difficult to bring back down...
    Depending on what you mean, I might encourage you to modify that a bit.
    • Yes, you want to avoid overshooting the temp, because the BGE takes a long time to cool down.
    • But no, you wouldn't want to light the fire and immediately cut the vent down to only open a tiny bit.  I usually light the fire, open the bottom vent full (including the screen), take the top vent off completely, and then keep an eye on the temp.  When it starts approaching my target temp, THEN I close the vents down to what I'm guessing the final setting will be, and I keep watching the temp until it's settled down and stable.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options

• But no, you wouldn't want to light the fire and immediately cut the vent down to only open a tiny bit. .

if i am running on yesterday's lump, and don't need to burn anything off, i just set vents for 250 and walk away after lighting it.

it really takes me no longer this way, and i can go inside and prep the food.  when i come out, the BGE is pegged at 250
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've had a couple of instances when I didn't quite get the lump going well enough, and mostly closed vents choked the small fire. Even had to re-ignite a few times.

My work flow is usually get 3 spots going, leave the bottom open, and the daisy off. Go inside and start the prep, or whatever. Wait 10 min, go back out and adjust the vents as appropriate to the situation. Fresh lump, lots of wood, set the vents to produce about 300 F. and expect to adjust again as the smoke clears. Used lump, and/or long prep, or forgot an ingredient and need to run to the store, set to 250.
  • Theophan
    Options
    if i am running on yesterday's lump, and don't need to burn anything off, i just set vents for 250 and walk away after lighting it.

it really takes me no longer this way, and i can go inside and prep the food.  when i come out, the BGE is pegged at 250
    Amazing.  I admit I've never tried it, so what do I know, but it just seemed obvious that the fire would grow more quickly if there were plenty of air available.  What's obvious ain't always what's true, though... ;)
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Theophan said:

Amazing.  I admit I've never tried it, so what do I know, but it just seemed obvious that the fire would grow more quickly if there were plenty of air available.  What's obvious ain't always what's true, though... ;)
    think about a stable 250 fire.  one that is steady for a couple hours.

it is as big as it is ever going to get. and it was never bigger than it is now. when it was getting as large as it needed to be to hold 250, it was growing and drawing more and more air as it needed, but still never as much as when it hit 250, right?

and when it got to a point where the narrow slot limited the air, the fire stopped growing.

which means it couldn't have been at a point where it could have grown any faster than it did. the lower vent being narrowed to 250 from the very beginning wasn't restricting any incoming air flow until the fire was at full size.

which means until the fire is choked by the narrow opening, the growing (not yet 250 fire) is already drawing as much as it can.  it can't use any more.

fire starter materials, which throw a lot of flame early but then die off, well, you might want the vents more open for that.  but my napkin/oil burns off quick.  i shut the dome and set vents and head inside.

i do the same for 350-400

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You may have noticed that there are many ways to get there.  Two things that routinely come up with NEO's (New Egg Owners); don't overshoot your target temp and don't chase temps.  +/- 15*F on a low & slow works just fine.  
    And just to add to the start it up discussion, low&slow i will light in one spot slightly forward of center and about 1/3 the way into the lump load.  Bottom vent and dome full open.  When around a softball sized fire is going, then shut the dome, install DFMT with petals full open and lower vent down to around 1/2 inch open.  When within around 40-50*F of target (usually aim for about 250*F-but wherever it lands is fine) shut the bottom vent to about 1/4 inch and dial it in.  FWIW-
    Edit: welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CountryBoy
    CountryBoy Posts: 102
    Options
    I've owned my egg since February and been cooking on kamados for 3 years. One thing you might want to try if you have a chance is to make a chart for target temps. Say 250,300,350,400,450,500 and above. Start at the lowest temp and work your way up. When lighting I personally use a torch. For low and slow I get a spot about the size of a softball or so glowing in the center. Put indirect piece in. At this time vents are wide open. When you know you are lit good enough shut the dome and cut lower vent down to half closed. After a few minutes temp will climb and you can close lower vent some more. I usually go half the amount the vent is open. When nearing target temp; say 50 degrees under you shut down even more. Finally you should be at your temp. At this point you can start closing the petals in the daisy wheel to about half open. And dial down a little more to fine adjust! Big adjustments made to the lower vent and small with the daisy wheel. When I'm at 250 degrees my lower vent setting is like above. Not much more than a credit card. And lastly don't chase the temp around. If it's close its fine. Make small adjustments and wait a while! Play around and you will get the hang of it! 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Make small adjustments till you get what you want. Stay patient just give it a little time and you'll get used to it.then you'll be able to set it walk away as it comes up to temp. Come back and it will be right where you wanted it without ever giving it a thought. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx