Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Need help with Beef Brisket

LuvmyeggLuvmyegg Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a beef brisket that has already been trimmed. It's 4.5 lbs and only 1.5 inches thick at the thickest part. Any suggestions on how to grill this thing? I was thinking of folding the brisket in half and tying it with string and then slow grilling at 250 to a temp of 190.

Comments

• Citizen QCitizen Q Posts: 484
    LuvMyEgg,
    First, make a brine by dissolving 4 cups of kosher salt into 4 quarts of boiling water, add 2 Tbs pink curing salt and 1 Tbs each dried whole: juniper berry, mustard seed, clove, allspice, black pepper, coriander & minced garlic, 3 pieces of cardamom and 3 bay leaves. Remove from heat and let steep for 15 minutes then add 2 quarts of crushed ice and chill mixture til it drops below 40 degrees. Drop the meat into the brine and weigh down with a plate and place in the coldest part of the fridge for 3 weeks, turning the meat every 4 or 5 days.[p]Then, while that piece of meat is curing, go out and BUY A BRISKET!!! A 12 lbs or larger packer trim. This is a whole brisket, flat and point with the connecting fat and a minimum 1/4" fat cap covering one side, which I am now going to teach you to cook in 3 easy steps.[p]Step 1) Rub it down with your favorite beef rub, something heavy on salt & pepper and light on sugar. Place it in your Egg, indirect setup, fat side down at 225 dome, over a handful of hickory and maple or cherry chunks with a little mesquite for 18 to 22 hours til it reaches an internal temp of 190-195. Pull it, wrap it in foil and let stand at least 1/2 hour - up to an hour before slicing or place into a warmed cooler for up to 4 hours.[p]Step 2) Eat.[p]Step 3) Wrap up leftovers and eat those at your leisure.[p]Oh yeah, in 3 weeks, post here asking how to make a pastrami out of that other thing sitting in the brine.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• LuvmyeggLuvmyegg Posts: 86
    Citizen Q,
    Thanks for the advice. I went back to the butcher today and asked why the brisket was trimmed without the fat cap. He said we only sell the center brisket cuts here. We don't have the point end. Says good luck finding it around here - SF Bay Area. Will need to find another butcher.