Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Happy 4th, more beef plate ribs, Ethiopian berbere spice

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
With another tip of the hat to @THEBuckeye cook last week, More plate ribs. 3 bones, over 6 pounds. About 10" long. 1st shot, 2 bones topped w. ground and crushed pepper, salt and some garlic powder. The bright red edge is Ethiopian berbere, from Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, MI. Fresh pounded before application.
 6 hours later, dome round 300F. Oak smoke. Internal a little low, 200F, but nibbles convinced me it was time to eat.

All the bones pulled out by finger tug.

Every bit succulent and rich. The part w. the berbere on top was the best. It had a strong enough taste to stand up to the intense beef and smoke.
Find 'em. Get 'em. Better than steak, and waaaay easier than brisket.

And again, clean bones, and even the membrane was crispy.

Back to the firecrackers, see ya.

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @gdenby. What does the jar of Ethiopian Berbere looks like?

Options
    paqman said:
    @gdenby. What does the jar of Ethiopian Berbere looks like?

Its red pepper hot, but this blend included ginger, cardamom and fenugreek. There are variations
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    It had to be... This is good stuff.  I am a huge fan of their products.  I met the owners of the company while traveling in South East Asia a few years ago.  They are passionate peoples who believe in quality.  They are visiting theirs suppliers on a regular basis to build relationships and get their best quality raw spices.  Their mixes are pure spice, no salt and no sugar.  If you have the chance to put your hands on their staff BBQ mix, go for it.  I have to visit them soon because my stock is low.  They also have recipes for most of their mixes on their site: http://spicetrekkers.com/?s=Berbere+&lang=ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE

Options
    Thx for the link. I currently have way more spices than I need, but they have some really fine looking blends. I assume they have the quality that the berbere has, so I suppose I will need to find a bit more space in my cabinet.