Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Done with Royal Oak

Options
    I've been using Royal Oak for the past 5 years and been very happy with it. A couple of years ago they switched from a 20 lb bag to a 17.6 lb bag.... O.K. I can live with that. This year they went to 15.6 lb bag.... same price ..... enough is enough.
Three weeks ago I bought a 40lb bag of Diablo Mesquite from Costco for 12.00.... I love it.
    Thank you Royal Oak for persuading me to try something different, your greed is saving me lots of $. Would have stayed with you if you hadn't played the size game.    
     Just my 2 cents

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Well, it's either that or a straight up price increase. Many manufacturers - not just Royal Oak - have thought that consumers would rather keep the price the same and get a little less than before.

Either way it s actually a price increase but marketing/psychology is a mysterious thing sometimes.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Hey Steve - welcome.

I've posted as well that I would prefer they just up the price rather than trying to sneak it past.

El Diablo... I'm glad you like it -  no bueno for me.
    Phoenix 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Ugh, they do that with everything and it is so annoying.  How many times have you cooked up a pound of bacon, wondered why it resulted in so little, only to realize it was one of the ever common 12 oz. "pound" size packages.

The same thing is happening to dog food.  What was always a 25 lbs. bag is dropping to a 15-17 lbs. bag for many manufacturers.  So you see a high-end brand that looks like the same price as your generic...nope, 40% less food.

So yeah, I'd rather they raised the price, OR at least reduced the physical size of the packaging to match the drop in quantity.  There are a lot of half empty boxes of things in the food store these days.  It's annoying.

So, back on topic, how is the Costco lump?  I'd be scared away that it was too mesquite, when I might not want mesquite. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    And to add, the big box driver in the retail world is Wally World.  The demand/pressure they put on suppliers is incredible.  No doubt some of it is merited but in the main it is just to drive down their cost.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    If you think it is simply greed driving their pricing, then just start a charcoal company
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Walmart still has the 17.6 lb bags at the same price I have only seen the smaller ones at homedepot
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Holding a pricepoint with reduced quantity (as in this case) doesn't bother me. Its when other products cut corners on quality I've come to expect is what irks me. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This thread is heartening to read, I guess I'm not the only one pissed off about this deceptive way to raise prices.  I've written more than a few letters to different companies complaining, saying "I guess your 1%er CEO needed a bigger yacht this year, huh??!?"  Wish I'd saved the few inane replies I'd get back...
    The one that really made me mad is when the sheet-goods industry began making plywood, waferboard etc in smaller sizes, 3/4" plywood got thinner by a 1/64", then by 1/32", etc.  Suddenly we had to buy new router bit and tablesaw blades to match these non-standard sizes, just raise the damn price if you have to!!!!  
    Another good one was Slim Jims, which I used to snack on a lot.  They used to come in a 3, 4" dia tube, maybe ten inches long.  They kept getting smaller in diameter, shorter, fewer, then I guess finally the Shipping COO probably screamed in some staff meeting, "LOOK, we can fit these in a 1"x3"x4" box now, and save on shipping!"  
    Which is what they finally did.  And why I finally got (a little) smart and quit buying it.
    I realize raw materials, and shipping, costs fluctuate (and usually go up all the time) but trying to "hide" these cost increases pisses me off.  I wasn't aware of the "directions" from Wally World to their suppliers, but it doesn't surprise me.  
    Sorry to go all "Friday night", I still have tomorrow off too so I'm venting.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    My husband did a post on his blog about this years ago. 

http://www.mdmproofing.com/iym/weblog/2007/03/charmin-shrinks-with-exposure-to-air.html

If you read the comments, I remarked that I first noticed that older recipes called for 16 oz cans, but when we got married and I really started cooking (over 20 years ago), you couldn't find 16 oz cans anymore.  No fun for a beginner cook! 

By the way, if you click the link, the debt paydown and liquid savings goal is WAY out of date.  We paid off the house and were debt-free for all of a couple months last summer.  Then he took a new job driving farther & we got him a better (used) truck.  Didn't want our savings to take that much of a hit, so we paid part, my folks offered to pay the rest, and we're repaying them interest-free.  If nothing crazy happens we'll be debt-free again within a year. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    mrs_story said:
    My husband did a post on his blog about this years ago. 

http://www.mdmproofing.com/iym/weblog/2007/03/charmin-shrinks-with-exposure-to-air.html
    Another thing they did years ago was increase the diameter of the inner tube.....it's was still the "Mega Roll" on the outside, but less paper on the inside.

Those little bits add up quick on a MASSIVE production like that though.  UPS calculated how much time they would save by removing the driver's steps into their trucks from 3 down to 2.  I forget how much American Airlines saved by removing the olive from their salads back in the day.

One other story I remember from grad school was Kentucky Fried Chicken (before it was KFC).  They came out with a "weight watchers" meal that had 25% less fat/calories, and all they did was lower the serving size by 25%......oh yeah, and they charged extra for it.  Haha!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    BTW - even the little 4 oz box of JELL-O I used to buy for my favorite cake is no longer 4 but 3.9 oz now! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Well, it's either that or a straight up price increase. Many manufacturers - not just Royal Oak - have thought that consumers would rather keep the price the same and get a little less than before.

Either way it s actually a price increase but marketing/psychology is a mysterious thing sometimes.
    Hardly call 22% less a little. Folks can justify this however they want...that is exactly what they are doing...justifying...
  • HeavyG
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    HeavyG said:

Hardly call 22% less a little. Folks can justify this however they want...that is exactly what they are doing...justifying...
    More like 'splainin.

It is what it is.

You can kvetch about it all you want. Ultimately, you can buy it or not buy it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    This thread is stupid. It's not Royal Oak doing anything it's the retailers. It's like me saying Rockwood sucks because they raised their prices 20%because ace is charging $25 a bag when firecraft is $21. It's not the company doing it.
  • KiterTodd
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The consumer can't be expected to rationalize all of this up to who put pressure on whom to change the size of a bag. 
    When a company starts giving you less for the same money, you look at the name on the bag and that's who's fault it is.

Sure, any number of issues could be the cause, and I appreciate the insights posted here.  But I gaurantee, whoever you blamed here, if you got them on the phone they'd say, "it's not us, it's <insert other distribution cause>".

So it's easier to just say, "I'm done with Royal Oak!"  ...and then see if you can find someone else who is giving you a better value.  We're all victims to inflation.  I'll likely keep buying it even if the bags shrink.  It's a reliable and readily available lump that I'm happy with.  May not be the best, but it does the job just fine and I can pick it up down the street.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    UPS calculated how much time they would save by removing the driver's steps into their trucks from 3 down to 2.  

I like how UPS/ FED EX figured it was cheaper to just leave it on the step rather than find a neighbor and if its stolen to just pay  for it.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    If, and that's a BIG IF, I find something cheaper and at least as good as RO, I'll switch. Even at the new cost, it's still about the best deal I'm aware of......
    South SLO County
  • HeavyG
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    If, and that's a BIG IF, I find something cheaper and at least as good as RO, I'll switch. Even at the new cost, it's still about the best deal I'm aware of......
    Especially if you buy it during the annual sale of $10 per 15lb-ish bag.

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    A month ago +\-it was 7.99 for the 15 lb bag...bought 10...pick your battles...in the Houston area and RO is the steadiset
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Gunnar said:
    A month ago +\-it was 7.99 for the 15 lb bag...bought 10...pick your battles...in the Houston area and RO is the steadiset
    Yeah, brainfart ...$7.99 was what I meant to say. 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    They've done the same thing with large count Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. But I'll never quit them. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    And to add, the big box driver in the retail world is Wally World.  The demand/pressure they put on suppliers is incredible.  No doubt some of it is merited but in the main it is just to drive down their cost.  FWIW-
    Same with Home Depot and Lowes
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @DoubleEgger - no doubt but my only true dealings were with WW in a previous life producing retail goods for their supply chain.  Clearly, "When you have the hammer, use it."  
    Thus the fact that I have not crossed the WW or Sam's threshold or their on-line sites for better than 15 years.   Personal thing and I feel good about it.
    Off soap-box.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I buy what I like. I will spend to get what I want. I want a quality product with consistant results. If it was Royal Oak, ok. I found Rockwood. I am good. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    UPS calculated how much time they would save by removing the driver's steps into their trucks from 3 down to 2.  

I like how UPS/ FED EX figured it was cheaper to just leave it on the step rather than find a neighbor and if its stolen to just pay  for it.
    Or during peak season(cyber monday, thanksgiving, christmas) they would allow no more then one 10 minute break for our 12+ hour shifts loading 18 wheelers with No A/C inside a warehouse that has been baking in the Texas heat all day. Couldn't tell you how many people passed out or walked out within the hour on their first day. All to cut corners and raise production #'s.
    Austin, Tx
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Or during peak season(cyber monday, thanksgiving, christmas) they would allow no more then one 10 minute break for our 12+ hour shifts loading 18 wheelers with No A/C inside a warehouse that has been baking in the Texas heat all day. Couldn't tell you how many people passed out or walked out within the hour on their first day. All to cut corners and raise production #'s.
    Wouldn't their unions protect them from those kind of working conditions?

Pretty sad either way.   Although I know a couple UPS drivers who seem happy with the company.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    Lit said:
    This thread is stupid. It's not Royal Oak doing anything it's the retailers. It's like me saying Rockwood sucks because they raised their prices 20%because ace is charging $25 a bag when firecraft is $21. It's not the company doing it.

do you really believe that?  you honestly believe that the manufacturer has no say what so ever in what they charge for the product they created when they sell it wholesale to retailers?????

if they have no input into what the value of their product is that they created and incurred all the cost to create then how do they make profit?  and how do they increase or maintain profit when the cost of creating the goods increase?  do you think they never pass along those increases to retailers?

i'm not saying retailers dont play a part in this but come on, giving the manufacturer a pass is not applicable in this scenario.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I say you call Royal Oak just like this guy called Jimmy Dean sausage.  

https://youtu.be/f4RNb3tt0LM
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Surprised no one commented on the original theft of the per pound size - Coffee.
    16oz is now 12oz and still the price is jacked. Those "bricks" are 11.5oz.

Laundry detergent, something you can make yourself in a half hour for 10¢ a gallon, gets the word "Ultra" printed on the label, reduced to 30% of the package size, and people believe they will use less. The trick is, the bottle lid used to measure a typical load is not 1/3 the size, it's half the size of the formula that was not "Ultra".

Notice the diameter of the toothpaste tube opening is slightly larger recently?
    I still fill the brush anyway, out of habit.

Lump?  It costs more per BTU than natural gas or electricity, but is cost effective over running the oven because it doesn't make my AC work harder to remove the heat that escapes the oven.

So, I'm more than happy to pay more for lump, the fact that the bag is smaller is just an inconvenience in having to open bags more often.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.