Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TX Pigapallooza

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorns son putting together some of those killer apple strudel things. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    I hope to one day train caliprince like foghorn trained his boy.

That kid goes to fetch wings, cooks for his pop, wraps bacon around a few hundred pineapple and shrimp thingies, smuggles keistered beer, risks his neck because a bunch of drunks sent him out to light some sketchy fireworks, and somehow survived 24 hrs with us in the rough.

I need to get to work on caliprince pronto. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    I hope to one day train caliprince like foghorn trained his boy.

That kid goes to fetch wings, cooks for his pop, wraps bacon around a few hundred pineapple and shrimp thingies, smuggles keistered beer, risks his neck because a bunch of drunks sent him out to light some sketchy fireworks, and somehow survived 24 hrs with us in the rough.

I need to get to work on caliprince pronto. 
    We all got a view on how it should be done this weekend. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    It's better to be lucky than good... (Referring to my parenting - not his performance)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options

It puts out some excellent food. I won't say that everything I cooked on it was perfect, but I will point out that it took caliking and a minimax to overcook some steaks. 
    Nope. It just took me to overcook some steaks. Definitely a case of "it's the Indian, not the arrow".  In more ways than the obvious. 

• Foghorn
    Options
    caliking said:

It puts out some excellent food. I won't say that everything I cooked on it was perfect, but I will point out that it took caliking and a minimax to overcook some steaks. 
    Nope. It just took me to overcook some steaks. Definitely a case of "it's the Indian, not the arrow".  In more ways than the obvious. 
    That phrase will definitely come in handy in the future

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    caliking said:
    Digging up some more pics   Scrambled duck eggs for the breakfast tacos. @20stones 's minimax showed me what I'm missing in my life. And it's shaped like a minimax.  
    @cakiking When I was a young lad I raised both chickens and ducks. There is no better omelette than a fresh 3 Duck Egg omelette!!
    Nicely done guys!! Give me a shout next time. Looks like a great time was had by all.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Here is Miley after a belly full of table scraps

Dont recall ever seeing a dog sleep like this but she did. Guess whatever she ate was pretty good. 
    I can confirm that the dog did walk away from this - even though with that posture and amateur butchers nearby one has to wonder...

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:

That phrase will definitely come in handy in the future
    Saved. 
  • caliking
    Options
    More. Some wangs. 

Marinade had garlic, soy, mirin, wasabi, cayenne, honey, and yuzu juice. 

Top rack had @Foghorn 's datil pepper wings, which I wish he had more of.  

@texaswig look into foghorn's Napoleon trash can cooker before you commit to an 85gal drum. This thing was pretty nifty. Breaks down for portability and has plenty of grid space and cooking options. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wings both were killer. Only problem is we didn't have way more.  I definitely need to step up my wing game after this weekend. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options

Texas links getting a kiss of smoke in a dishwasher we found.  The guest of honor had a surplus of fat, so we brought a few top rounds to make more sausage. 

The sausage, however, has a surplus salt, and experiments are underway. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I need a pic of thisTrash can cooker. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Foghorn
    Options
    http://www.napoleongrills.com/grills/product-details/productid/23/ccd/en-ca/apollo-300-charcoal-grill-and-water-smoker

@texaswig.

And depending on your needs, you can leave one or both middle sections at home.  When it's just me and my son, we don't usually take the whole thing.

And here's a pic doing wings raised direct (if the wifi at 35,000 feet will support a pic)

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options

San Antonio, TX

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Cool @Foghorn thanks I'll check them out. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • 20stone
    Options
    Other notes from a nutty weekend:

@Foghorn and his spawn jumped in from the get go, having a side of pork on their shoulders minutes after they arrived, kept in it with a fury until they had to bolt.  His well earned reputation as a beeraseur is intact, as well as making some great wings and other stuff.

@pigfisher really needs his own farm.  While the butchering was going on, we also had a pig pen development project underway.  The next round of sausage is being well treated.

@The Cen-Tex Smoker was the instructor-butcher, and owns the world's best dishwasher

@caliking (shockingly) can cook.  Super sides for Friday night, and the worlds best (duck egg) breakfast tacos 

Technology winners:
    • Old, dead refrigerators as coolers - After shopping all over for the latest 500 quart YETI game cooler, we retrieved our 248 lb hog in a dead side-by-side refrigerator with 2x4s bolted to the back as skids
    • Pick up trucks as work benches - A Mini-Max sits at just the right height (for @Foghorn and me, at least).  I was also able to easily wash out spilled pig butter (lard) and hot wing sauce
    • Pigs as salad processors - It turns out we didn't eat too many green things, but the ones we brought were very appreciated
    • Dishwashers as smokers - Talk about a great repurposing of an old technology.  It can easily hold 20 lbs of sausage for smoking, or other things (....watch this space...)
    • MiniMax's as stoves and grills - This thing rocked.  I suspect that at least two more will be purchased shortly, the next time their future owners' spouses are out of town
    Great fun had by all
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    caliking rocked his wings too. 

And as I'm reflecting on the weekend, I'm trying to figure out what exactly @20stone did.  Mostly he was a truck driver.  Of a cute new blue truck that is the precious twin sister of caliking's.  He drove pigfisher to the farm so he could labor like a dog on the land and set up our space for our future harvests.  He drove the pig halves to the farm so my son and I could carry them into the cooler.   He gladly drank my beer.  He drove some phenomenal beef and other supplies to the farm as well.  He directed me (with a mandate) on my fireworks purchase.

Oh yeah, he was the chief meat grinder and bandsaw technician.  And he put the gig together.  Like Julie the Cruise Director.

Seriously, thanks for a great experience.  I look forward to a quadruple harvest in 12-24 months. 

I'll still need a lot of direction.  I'm not going out and buying a book on pig raising and husbandry.  But I think I'll remember most of what I learned about butchering and I can provide beer, fireworks, and a trash can grill that I can man. 

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    ... And he put the gig together.  Like Julie the Cruise Director.

Seriously, thanks for a great experience.  I look forward to a quadruple harvest in 12-24 months
    It's not the first time I've been called Julie and I'm glad you and Jason had a good time.  The bad news is, as @caliking can attest, more time just makes the plan more elaborate, and 12 months is a looooong time.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Plan it and send me a bill.  I'll go along with anything Centex will support.  If we just trusted you we'd be investing in a hydroponic pig farm for your balcony.

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    This was a lot of fun to read.  It's a miracle you're all (well mostly) able to return to society as productive members after such a feast.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I think I'm the only one that has logged any productivity so far... The rest are slackers. 

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options
    This was a lot of fun to read.  It's a miracle you're all (well mostly) able to return to society as productive members after such a feast.
    There's more to come we're not done yet. There's still the dishwasher chapter pending. 

• 20stone
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I think I'm the only one that has logged any productivity so far... The rest are slackers. 
    That's the problem hanging with doctors, always playing the "What we're you doing while I was saving lives?" card.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    Options
    No worries I'm  with you. Haven't saved anything since Friday afternoon. Note that the steaks happened Friday evening. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    No worries I'm  with you. Haven't saved anything since Friday afternoon. Note that the steaks happened Friday evening. 
    There is a big difference between not saving something and murdering something. Just sayin. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I'm not judging anyone's profession. I'm just pointing out that I spent yesterday doing mine - and the rest of y'all didn't. Slackers. 

Of course when I meet Centex this weekend for the sausage exchange (there's got to be a better phrase for that) and I get to enjoy the fruits of your hard work grinding and stuffing the sausages (still struggling with verbiage) I'll appreciate all the work you guys did after we left. 

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I'm not judging anyone's profession. I'm just pointing out that I spent yesterday doing mine - and the rest of y'all didn't. Slackers. 

Of course when I meet Centex this weekend for the sausage exchange (there's got to be a better phrase for that) and I get to enjoy the fruits of your hard work grinding and stuffing the sausages (still struggling with verbiage) I'll appreciate all the work you guys did after we left. 
    Sausage swap? No. Sausage grab? No not that either. There has to be a better way to describe two men swapping meats in the parking lot of a Buccees. Maybe not.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Sausage swap? No. Sausage grab? No not that either. There has to be a better way to describe two men swapping meats in the parking lot of a Buccees. Maybe not.

I was enjoying this thread right up until this exchange. 

My edit: not that there's anything wrong with that. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Well, it's not really a swap as I'm not giving you any meat. But you're going to give me a lot of sausage. 

Well, that's not making things better. 

San Antonio, TX