Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OFFICIAL HOLIDAY THROWDOWN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Welcome aboard @Pmnaylor1986.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    I see egger ave is up to his usual high quality stuff.  I don't generally like lamb but that looks incredible.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    For apps, a little German sausage and Korean meatballs
    main course we are going with fish and chips
    Then for dessert a few middle eastern delights
    All washed down with some imported beer

Happy Birthday to America, y'all. ;)
    Just wondering, are all these your pictures? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options

I was off the grid this weekend. No cell service at friends cabin. 
    They picked up a 90# pig for me to cook.
    I've never cooked on this pit before. So, I wasn't sure about the outcome. 
    Started at 7am on Saturday at 250ish. We were shooting for a 5pm finish. 
    I had to bump the heat up after lunch to help push it through the stall. Cooked to an internal temp of 200. It was finished just in time and was enjoyed by all. Everything pulled apart nicely.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Sunday was a venison tri tip.
    Cooked on the gasser though.  I didn't take my MM with me this weekend. Marinated in EVOO with S&P, garlic and fresh sage.
    Cooked to MR.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Just wondering, are all these your pictures? 
    Haha, no man. It's all cuisine from countries that we have been at war with. My buddy sent them to me the other day as a joke. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I submit these on behalf of the team. @20stone @caliking@Foghorn (and Henery Hawk-fog's kid Jason)  @pigfisher and myself. 

First was was fresh farm raised duck egg, homemade Berkie bacon, skillet fried potatoes and mushroom breakfast tacos made on @20stone minimax (with a bacon assist from @Foghorn trash can cooker. These were eaten standing up on paper plates from the bed of a pickup after staying up way too late, drinking way too many rare beers, and sleeping 6 dudes in a trailer made for a family of 4. No showers or toothbrushes were harmed in the filming of this scene. 

@caliking wins the shirt prize this weekend with his "I'm not drunk. I'm definitely not sober, but I'm not drunk" shirt. As he climbed in to his truck for the ride home Saturday after a few victory beers (and it was just a few), we advised him that it would not be the best shirt to be wearing if stopped by one of Texas' finest on a holiday weekend on the way home. I have never seen a man change shirts so quickly. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I also submit this on behalf of the same team:

czech style beef and pork sausage. cut fresh from the hog, ground, blended with top round beef from 44 Farms, seasoned, stuffed, and smoked on site with assist from the dishwasher. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited July 2016
    Options
    And lastly- if there is a "least appetizing" or "I dare you" category, we submit one more. Whole hog Head in the KBQ. Smoked for 10 hrs then picked at from the bed of a pickup truck with pocket knives, fingers, and tortillas. Looked and tasted a little bit like A much beloved alien TV character from the 80's (No, not Mork you sickos) 

Poor Alf had a rough day

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Sorry about the forks but we just finished stuffed mushrooms followed by Green Lightning Shrimp, Honey Glazed Stout Thighs, Strip Steak, Cole Slaw and Tater Tots....chased with a Watermelon Rita.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    First time we've cooked ribs on the egg, and first time participating in a throwdown!  Thank you for doing this, DoubleEgger!!  Sorry if I'm not doing something correctly . . .

We did baby back ribs.  I mixed up a batch of Meathead's Memphis Dust, and we mostly followed the directions for Competition Pork Ribs from Smoke It Like A Pro by Eric C. Mitchell.  We didn't have apple cider, so we used some Coke. And when we pulled them I sneaked a little off a corner and my husband decided he didn't want to sauce them.  Instead we had sauce on the table.  They were good with & without sauce. 

Served with some potatoes rubbed in oil and sprinkled with Weber Chicago Steak, and some macaroni salad.  We are pleased with our first ribs on the BGE!

Rotating ribs after 45 minutes. 

Finished product.  Lookit -- we got a smoke ring!! 

I was saving the 4th picture for dessert.  Grilled pineapples with a cinnamon sauce & Blue Bell Natural Vanilla Bean ice cream.  But we're too full.  Maybe in a couple hours. 

Happy 4th of July, everyone!!! 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Outstanding @mrs_story

San Antonio, TX

• gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    A few pics from Saturday. Sunday, and Monday...some from the egg...some not. I'm officially stuffed and over bbq for awhile...but good eats all weekend!

Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Saturday.... sausage and grilled veggies marinated in Italian dressing

Sunday.... burgers

Today... brats. Beer and jalapeño cheddar

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Drunk post. Smash burgers, hand cut fries( the right way) liqour....

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Cooked a lot tonight. 2 ha hinging tenders for apps, and tri tip for sandwiches, and more smores sandwiches. Also made my wife a grilled PB&J. On the couch now enjoying the AC.
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    Simple strip steak fajita cook tonight. Seasoned the steak with some salt and Dizzy Pig Fajitaish (thanks again @steel_egg).  Cooked at 650 direct for 2 minutes, flipped and pulled after anther two minutes.  Rested for 10 minutes, sliced against the grain, and served with green and red peppers, onions, avocado, and lots of cilantro!

Chicago, Illinois
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    Just good ole fashioned pulled pork BBQ sammiches with fresh, local corn on the cob and Mac n Cheese.  Oh, and also a rum punch to help cope with the heat outside.  :)  Oil and Rice Vinegar Slaw and Bone Suckin' Sauce on my sandwich.  Everyone else had Shealy's mustard based.  

The rub:

The whole pork shoulder:

The trimmed and separated shoulder and butt on the Large:

After smoking awhile with Applewood:

The sammich:  

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    Boneless skinless chicken thighs pounded thin. Stuffed with a slice of  Provolone cheese, Proscuitto, and spread with both Italian sun dried tomatoes and olive tapapenade sprinkled with a nice poultry rub. . Cooked on my large using a spider and a 1/2 stone to make a two zone cooking environment. The wife when asked what she wanted for the 4th requested these. Win or go home, they were delicious. Fixed some sliced watermelon with feta, olive oil, balsamic, and shredded mint. Wonderful meal. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Cooked a small side brisket today.  Went with Oakridge Black Ops with some Championship from Texas Rub.  

Used Fogo for fuel, oak and pecan for smoke. Ran 250° for the duration.  

1 - Wrapped just after the stall.  

2 - I wrapped too much and my bark was compromised.  

3 - Finished with mac-n-cheese, baked beans, onions, pickles, and slaw.  Also had some Texas toast, but forgot to include with the picture.  The bottom right could have really used something.  

4 - Different look.  Brisket was good, didn't fall apart under it's own weight.  Could have been more juicy, but it was a select, so what can you expect.  For select, it was damn good for select.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jstewart12a
    jstewart12a Posts: 144
    Options
    Did the following cooks over the weekend. Saturday morning did a breakfast fatty, Sunday evening made some Georgia Red Wings and on the 4th I did a couple of Boston butts and some Brunswick stew. Forgot to take a picture of the full pot of the stew, but as you can see there wasn't much left so I'd call it a success. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
      @caliking  wins the shirt prize this weekend with his "I'm not drunk. I'm definitely not sober, but I'm not drunk" shirt. As he climbed in to his truck for the ride home Saturday after a few victory beers (and it was just a few), we advised him that it would not be the best shirt to be wearing if stopped by one of Texas' finest on a holiday weekend on the way home. I have never seen a man change shirts so quickly. 

For the record, I am now invisible to TX cops since I bought the truck. I blend right in now . Even in daylight.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    There are some fantastic cooks posted in this thread. And its great to see many new folks throwing down!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Ribs just about finished.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    @DoubleEgger.. Thanks for setting this up Michael. It was fun to participate and also to see all the great entries.. Have a great week...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    @DoubleEgger...I agree with all of the above...thanks a million for putting it together. There are some AAAwesome cooks and festivities in this thread !!!!

I really thought I did something reat until I saw all the other cooks...my stuff didn't even compare to most...but it was fun, and it was good !!!

I wish I could get a few eggheads together and put together a holiday feast like 
    caliking , The Cen-Tex Smoker, and compadres !!!  Looks like a lot of fun my friends !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    KKorkmaz said:
    Took the opportunity to use the Quaker Steak and Lube Arizona Ranch sauce I received in the Rub and Sauce exchange on some wings Friday night.  Initially rubbed with Famous Dave's Country Roast Chicken seasoning, cooked at 425 indirect with Hickory wood for 40 minutes before being tossed in the sauce. Gotta say this is my best wing cook yet! Special thanks to @cazzy for setting up the exchange @steel_egg for the sauce and to everyone who gave me there tips and tricks to great wings on my other thread.
    Congrats to @KKorkmaz for winning the Holiday Throwdown! I'll send you a PM to get your info. 

Thanks to all who participated. There were some great cooks this weekend. 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    +1   Congrats to @KKorkmaz for winning the Holiday Throwdown! 

Great looking wings !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

Mellow Mushroom recipe dough, fresh San Marzano tomato pizza sauce, my Dad's homemade sweet Italian sausage, fresh garlic scrapes, fresh Italian oregano and fresh buffalo mozzarella. Happy 4th!
    Welcome fellow Dead / Egg head.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow