Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today-USA Independence Day and a required reading assignment-

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,167
edited July 2016 in Off Topic

Below are the first two and last paragraphs of the Declaration of Independence.  You should read them.  Very powerful writings.  

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world...

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Happy Birthday USA!
Edit:  The above was annual mandatory fun for my two sons growing up. 
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I read this every once in a while - powerful words. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Amazing words put to paper by brilliant people.  Need smart people to recognize and vote to preserve it!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    @bgebrent - through the recent history of the country we have rally cheapened what it means to be an "American".   And let there be no doubt that we are the last, best and greatest country in the world.  Today is the base-line of every thing we stand for.  I am over the top on July 4th so I will pause right here.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Happy Birthday America - all the best to our American cousins - two nations divided by a common language (sorry to plagiarize Gen, Patton)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.
    Harry S. Truman.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Should be required reading on a regular basis.  It's interesting, I always thought of the Founding Fathers as elder Statesmen.  On July 4, 1776, George Washington was 44, Jefferson was 33, Alexander Hamilton was only 21 years old, James Madison was 25, James Monroe was only 18, and Betsy Ross was 24.  A young men's revolution.  You could say life spams were much shorter, however the average age at death of the Founding Fathers was 67, with many living into their eighties and even nineties.
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Great Posting, Thanks for putting it up!

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• lousubcap
    shameless bump to keep on the front page.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I love this post, thank you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Thanks for posting this.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Tjcoley said:
    Should be required reading on a regular basis.  It's interesting, I always thought of the Founding Fathers as elder Statesmen.  On July 4, 1776, George Washington was 44, Jefferson was 33, Alexander Hamilton was only 21 years old, James Madison was 25, James Monroe was only 18, and Betsy Ross was 24.  A young men's revolution.  You could say life spams were much shorter, however the average age at death of the Founding Fathers was 67, with many living into their eighties and even nineties.
    I always thought of them as older. Never did the research. Thanks for posting. That's fascinating. To help found the greatest country in the world as a teen/twenty something, wow. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Red Skelton's Pledge of Allegiance commentary - great perspective.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/redskeltonpledgeofallegiance.htm

Botch Posts: 15,427
    Both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on this date, 190 years ago.

Not to put a damper on things.  

Great thread!   :)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Brother Cap, I can't think of a more appropriate post for the 4th than the DOI. Happy 4th brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    BRAVO! Thanks for the original post and the meaningful additions to it! Happy Birthday USA!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    This seems appropriate. Not to hijack. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Happy Independance Day to all. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Uncle Sam helping me out! I made this 30 years ago and proudly display it every year!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @RRP
    Thats cool ole buddy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    This seems appropriate. Not to hijack. 

I find it funny that we are celebrating our Independence while chastising Great Britain for wanting theirs. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    That's really neat @RRP any way I could talk you into making another???
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Tjcoley said:
    I always thought of them as older. Never did the research. Thanks for posting. That's fascinating. To help found the greatest country in the world as a teen/twenty something, wow. 

Of those listed, only Jefferson signed the Declaration of Independence.  Most of the signers were "middle aged". Primarily in their thirties (17), forties (19) or fifties (11).  A couple of twenty somethings and a handful of elders in their sixties (6).  Of course, Ben Franklin was 70 at the time.  

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.