Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great spatchcock chicken and a Horrible accident

Options
This was my first time doing spatchcock chicken. followed some advice on the Forum like leaving the chicken sit in the fridge for 12 hours to help crisp the skin which works awesome We used olive oil  and Dizzy Pig tsunami spin. Cooked the brest till 172 then pulled. I never Ftc after so the skinn would stay crispy  The egg dome temp was 375ish. Ps in legs up, ss grill on legs. 
Ok now for the accident. 
I had my chimney with my lump getting hot sitting on my cement when it blew up. Lump went everywhere and there is a brand new hole in my cement that the wife is not happy about  
New Orleans, Louisiana. 
XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Your cement blew up?!  :o
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • stichrunner
    stichrunner Posts: 103
    Options
    Yes. It got to hot and the cement blew up in a perfect circle. 
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Chinese cement... 
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Holy cement blowing up Batman!!! Glad to hear no one got hurt. Oh, and great looking yardbird...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • johnnyp
    Options
    ive never heard of this before.  Wow. Weird.
  • stichrunner
    Options
    I do not have the XL in the table yet so it was under my patio and me and my buddy picked it up and had just set it down when it went off 15 seconds prior we would have been holding the XL and might have dropped it when it's scared the crap out of us
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Also,  the chicken looks great.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Sorry I'm new (and confused) to exploding concrete. Can anyone enlighten me on how this happens? Google search doesn't bring back much either.
    Snellville, GA

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I've seen concrete damage from high heat before, but not to that extent.  Was the concrete wet?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    I've seen concrete damage from high heat before, but not to that extent.  Was the concrete wet?
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe poured within the last week.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

This was recently discussed in a recent thread ( started by @Judy Mayberry , I think).

Water in the cement changes into steam and causes the cement to explode like that. So always set your chimney on a grill, or have something between the concrete and the chimney.

Put a potted plant over that circle and chalk one up to experience.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Sorry I'm new (and confused) to exploding concrete. Can anyone enlighten me on how this happens? Google search doesn't bring back much either.
    Spalling

water entrained reaches boiling point and flashes to steam, expanding 1:1700

BOOM

(think popcorn)

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• stichrunner
    Options
    No the cement was not wet I wish I could it's in the center of my patio right by the grass I guess I will be doing a patch job tomorrow hopefully it won't take long for the cement to fade and kind of match
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
  • Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    Options
    Looks like a good place for a flower pot

Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Spalling

water entrained reaches boiling point and flashes to steam, expanding 1:1700

BOOM

(think popcorn)

caliking said:

This was recently discussed in a recent thread ( started by @Judy Mayberry , I think).

Water in the cement changes into steam and causes the cement to explode like that. So always set your chimney on a grill, or have something between the concrete and the chimney.

Put a potted plant over that circle and chalk one up to experience.

Learn something new every day. Spalling search brought back much better results than exploding concrete. So if you set the chimney on a concrete block could this still happen?
    Snellville, GA

• Darby_Crenshaw
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Doesn't need to be "wet"

needs to have any amount of moisture in it at all. And then 1200 degrees of heat placed on it instantly

concrete is always damp. Even when it is dry
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    rmr62 said:
    Wasn't science. Was jesus made the concrete ess-plode. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Too bad about your concrete - chicken looks good though

Wet isn't good in concrete or the jungle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJJBbK2XNbE
    Phoenix 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
     there is a brand new hole in my cement that the wife is not happy about  

Oh, that doesn't sound like such a terrible problem. Wives are replaceable, you know.  B)
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I met a guy who loved fish tanks. He grew up very poor in India. He said when he was a kid he would get a fish and keep it in water in a pit in the concrete of his floor. 

I think you should tell people that you always wanted an egg but before you got one you would BBQ in that little concrete pit. Put a little flower pot upside down on it to complete the story. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Polish it up a bit with a grinder and you have a great resting place for a hot wok.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Looks like a good place for a flower pot

Or if you really want to make lemonade from lemons, a MiniMax :smiley:
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    Options
    Wowza!  I was thinking concrete counters for an Egg table would be great.  Not so much now.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    For years I did it on my grill grate.  No issues.  Then in a recent thread someone said they just do it down in the firebox inside the egg.  It was like a lightbulb went off...   light it where I'm going to dump it anyway.  Perfect!

So now I do that.  Plus the pops and cracks have to travel a lot further to get out of the egg.  I like it.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • UTVolKeith21
    Options
    My question is why are you using that to start your charcoal? Just use an electric starter in the egg and you don't have that problem.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Concrete will blister at high temps, especially in a chimney starter with lump. When I use one I sit it on red bricks or on the grate in the egg 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have always just set the chimney on the firegrate.  
  • stichrunner
    Options
    I use the chimney because prior to the big boom it worked great. I would sit it in the side burnner of the gasser and let it get hot then move to cement till it was all hot. Well not anymore. Lol i like the wok idea. 
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @focker warned me about that recently. I always set my chimney on the driveway with no issues but won't be doing that anymore. Chicken looks good though.