Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Patio furniture - advice needed

Options
XC242
XC242 Posts: 1,208
Looking for any advice I can get on good, long lasting and reasonably priced patio furniture.
LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I can't say enough about our 9 pieces of Tropitone brand furniture. It is over 30 years old and is still in great shape. It is not cheap, but built to last a lifetime and more!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Don't go "cheap". We sell some at the stores I manage and the cheap stuff never lasts.  Our sets are the metal type typically.  It is all different cast aluminum with powder coated finishes.  This stuff wont rust and paint won't flake some care for cushions and you are good to go for years.  Also this is not light weight stuff that will end up in your neighbors yard when the wind blows.  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    RRP said:
    I can't say enough about our 9 pieces of Tropitone brand furniture. It is over 30 years old and is still in great shape. It is not cheap, but built to last a lifetime and more!
    here's a shot of it:

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I second the tropitone. - I got 21 years out of my set.  Arizona is a pretty good test of longevity.   Nothing else outdoors has lasted close to that long.
    Phoenix 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    We have some chairs and small tables that some local craftsmen made using Azek. That makes them very heavy and very durable.  Wind doesn't blow them around and they can stay out all year.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    cushions have really come a long way recently. You can get really comfortable products that are completely man made products. This means they won't be bothered by the elements. Even the fill is man made. You get what you pay for generally.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    It's a sad world we live in where you can buy cheap Chinese patio furniture and throw it away every other year cheaper than you can own quality USA built patio furniture.

I made the mistake about 20 years ago of buying expensive patio furniture that had the fabric sling backs. When the slings finally needed to be replaced, the slings alone cost more than buying a new chair from a big box home store.

If you do decide to purchase an expensive set, I recommend getting something without sling seating. 
  • hashissmokin
    hashissmokin Posts: 238
    Options
    Can't go wrong with wrought iron.  Affordable and durable.  Just pick out some purty cushions.
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Here's the set I think we've settled on. As for quality, I dunno. But it's teak and I've always wanted teak.   http://www.samsclub.com/sams/teak-seating-set-7-pc/123921.ip?mobiledetect=false
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.