Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hanging chicken legs advise pls

Options
Happy 4th everyone:  going to cook chicken legs for a party later today.  Have 2 chicken leg hangers.  Was going to do indirect at 400 for about an hour with some some.  Thoughts?  Thx
BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Chop some veggies to roast under them. Not sure you need an hour. Ours were done in about 40-45 minutes. I sat them out uncovered in the fridge for a couple hours, dusted with cornstarch and rub. Did a coulple teriyaki and pineapple mists over them, Afterwards, I tossed them in a thai sweet chii sauce concoction, came out great. Almost forgot, smoked them with some pecan.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legally Blind Egghead
    Options
    Definitely agree with 40 to 45 minutes max as you should start checking temps in 35 minutes. If you use smoking wood be  careful as these will absorb plenty. However I put my veggies ontop.
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @YukonRon @Legally Blind Egghead
     Direct or indirect?  Burned ribs yesterday direct.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I never hang. Always 400/425 direct and raised. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2016
    Options

eggnewtoy said:

IMO the very best accessory for an Egg is an Adjustable Rig. I very rarely take mine out of eather Large and have the same raised items from Tom for my MM and Mini. 
    One other way if no AR is not to build you fire not so high. Less lump puts the heat a little lower in the Egg from your grate. 
    I cook 80% direct including chicken & turkey. Ribs and butts for me is an indirect cook. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    @Mickey. Thx.  I was overzealous with the lump yesterday.  

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    With the hanger direct ir indirect will both work fine.  Direct will cook faster.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Legally Blind Egghead
    Options
    5eggnewtoy said:

I go direct when hanging chicken legs and is why it only takes around 35 to 45 minutes at 375-400 dome.   I also go direct on raised grid when doing spatchcock chicken at 375-400 dome temp for about 50 to 60 minutes.   I use Adjustable Rig from CGS compared to a nearly clean looking plate setter I've had for about 10 years.

Ribs should be indirect and I agree that the Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store is the place to go as their products are amazing and versatile .  They even have sliding racks with oval shaped stones to protect your entire rack of ribs.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:

When I have vegetables under the rack, I go indirect. Without vegies, either way yields great results. My pesrsonal preference, especially when trying to get a light smoke flavor, is indirect. FWIW: For my peeps I feed, it seems to be the choice, they enjoy most.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Agree with @YukonRon I like indirect. Temps need to be higher, as you suggest in the 400º range - timing is not so critical as the legs like wings are hard to overcook, very forgiving regarding serving time when using an indirect cook, 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • annjamaican
    annjamaican Posts: 152
    Options
    That should help them crisp up nicely. An hour might be a little long at 400, however. How do you keep the legs from sticking to the hanger? I get some skin stuck to it every single time.
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use my hanger all the time and always cook indirect at about 400.  My experience is that indirect cooks them more evenly and requires less work on my part.  I let the fat drip off into a drip pan because I don't want to consume all that extra fat.  I usually paint on some sauce about 10 minutes before they are done.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA