Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Listen to the Mandolin Rain"

Options
"My thumb came and went,
Making sweet potato chips..."

Ok, enough 80's soft rock lyrics...all joking aside someone should really warn a guy about the finger guillotine. I may need some chain mail gloves, and a nurse. (I'll spare you pics)

My sister let me borrow her mandolin this afternoon for some sweet potato nachos because my Shun is getting sharpened and I didn't want to use the little cheap knives for even slices. 

Upside is these sweet potato chips are as symmetrical as my...well let's just say they are really symmetrical. Ok the bourbon pain killer is kicking in, off to light the grill. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Been there. Sorry. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I believe it's a right of passage with a mandolin. Even with they give you the finger guards. Mine was when I was cutting the end of a potato for chips. My wife's was catching it as it dropped. We both shutter every time we go to use it.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Be sure the cut is clean and stays that way. Sliced my finger a few years ago while boning a chicken. Bad cut, but the problem started a few days later. I was changing the dressing before work, and couldn't find the anti-bac ointment to smear the cotton. 3 days later, massive infection, and off to the emergency room.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Be sure the cut is clean and stays that way. Sliced my finger a few years ago while boning a chicken. Bad cut, but the problem started a few days later. I was changing the dressing before work, and couldn't find the anti-bac ointment to smear the cotton. 3 days later, massive infection, and off to the emergency room.
    You should have seen when I drove my thumb straight into the meat slicer. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've watched enough cooking shows to be extra careful.  Seems like someone always cuts themselves at crunch time.
    gmac said:
    gdenby said:
    You should have seen when I drove my thumb straight into the meat slicer. 

Ugh, THAT just gave me chills. My graddad and I were slaughtering hogs when I was a kid and we were making sausage late into the night and I guess the drinks caught up to him because at one point he pushed his hand down to get the last little bit and caught his finger in the grinder...he gave that tough old man face to me which roughly translated into, "this is gonna hurt like a SOB when I sober up."

Side note: typing with only the edge of your thumb is why monkeys don't rule the internet.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    Options
    Used this last December when making Sweet Potato Stackers - Walk ins not open on Christmas day, so I used this - works but hurts like hell at first.

Stackers had a strange iron metallic taste.  Actually they were ok - wife and daughters banned me from mandolin forever.

http://woundseal.com/wp/
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Used this last December when making Sweet Potato Stackers - Walk ins not open on Christmas day, so I used this - works but hurts like hell at first.

Stackers had a strange iron metallic taste.  Actually they were ok - wife and daughters banned me from mandolin forever.

http://woundseal.com/wp/
    I used some old sprinkle Quickclot from one of my old military med kits and some antiseptic cleaner flush first. One of my old squad leaders had a chunk of his leg sliced open and that cleaned, sealed, and had him back at it in a few days. 

I'm not that that worried about nerve damage, that whole arm is already trashed and I lose feeling in it all the time so as long as it doesn't get infected I'm good. I would rather have to deal  with some backwoods medical care than have my wife ban me from the kitchen!!!

South of Nashville, TN

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Been there done that. About 8 months ago I sliced off the tip of my index finger on a Mandolin cutting sweet potatoes for an Au Gratin dish.  Had to go to the ER because I couldn't stop the bleeding. They referred me to a hand surgeon. Never met him before this incident but he turned out to be a great guy.  He said the worst thing I could do was let some surgeon mess with it.  Sew the tip on etc. He put a band aide on it and said It is going to take a long time but it will heal. It took 88 days before the skin completely healed over. My finger tip is a bit flatter but you would never know it from looking at it. The nerves in the tip seem to be taking longer. They tingled from a long long time and still do a bit but the sensation is getting progressively less intense. Heres the after and then the before, not to gross you out but to give you hope. Your body is an amazing at healing itself. Hang in there I hope everything heals well for you.   
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I know I should stop looking. I want to stop looking. I can't stop looking. It looks like the beginning of Tremors 7...or a circumcision gone horribly wrong. That is a gnarly cut man. No gross out warning necessary. I have had the unfortunate incident of using duct tape as an all purpose "quicker fixer upper" but that needs super glue and a bottle of the good stuff

South of Nashville, TN

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited July 2016
    Options
    On the Doc's word, just a band aide, Neosporin, and keep it clean. It healed all by itself. Pretty amazing, even got the fingerprints pretty much back. Hope you heal well too.  Mandolins are really a dangerous piece of gear. Look and learn, grasshopper.