Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Replacement Preparations

Options
I'm getting ready ahead of arrival of my Rutland gasket that is coming from RRP and have the following question for you guys.  On my XL its the bottom gasket that has failed. i.e. fell/came half way off that has prompted me to do the Rutland upgrade.
Here's my question: the top gasket is still fully intact and good from what I can see.  Should I leave it in place as well as install the Rutland on the bottom like I was planning to do?  Would this make a difference in this configuration?
What do you guys think?  Maybe RRP will see this and chime it too.
BGE Forever!!!

XL owner in Wichita, KS

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    No - when you "bunch" the Rutland it will become both wider and thicker therefore there is no need for the upper gasket. BTW I cover all that removal, prep and application in the two sided set of instructions included with your gasket.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Duuane
    Duuane Posts: 65
    Options
    What RRP said, I got two gaskets from him a few weeks ago, and following his directions for removal and installation, things went very well. I had about 3-4" of gasket left when I was done. I think I could have used less permatex, but without the upper gasket, I have zero smoke loss through the seam, and as I type this, my first packer brisket is starting it's 8th hour, and the egg is keeping a perfect temp range with just vent settings.   Duuane  O.U.T !
    Franklinville, Western NY
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I was just wondering if I could save myself some work and not remove the top gasket.  I will remove it anyway.  
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I think replacing the gasket (for the first time) is one of those things we overthink.  It is super easy, and it takes longer to read Ron's thorough instructions than it takes to actually apply the gasket.  

Just thought I'd put that out there, for anyone that hasn't done it yet.

@RRP  - thanks again Ron for the stickburner gasket last week

Phoenix 
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    My gasket has arrived!  Now its raining.... I will have to wait till tomorrow to finish the job.  Thanks Ron for the gasket kit!
    XL owner in Wichita, KS