Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So here's my NEW OLD medium

Options
dopey
dopey Posts: 201
I bought this for my parents about 2 years ago for their cottage.  I've been working sans vacation for sometime before that with the intent of going there and having a grill I'd like to cook on.  Since duty calls, I haven't made it to the lake in several years.

A month ago my pops said hey come get your grill it's too much hassle... 
He likes gas, fire up and cook, no problem.

I bring it home, and the fire ring is quite tight, to the point of not contacting the fire box.  Do you think this is an inconsistency in the ring?  If anyone has OD dimensions for top and bottom that will help make my claim easier.

Thanks
-John
What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Have you tried flipping it over?  Maybe it is upside down. 

<edit>
    Nevermind- I see the notch in the top so it is right.  That is odd for sure. I would contact a dealer and see about a claim. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    holy crap thats dirty!

Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You need a nest for it? Got one in the garage. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    for not liking it he sure used it a lot! The fire ring in my medium is slightly oval in shape and my base is also a bit off so I have to be very careful on how I place the fire ring so it won't wobble. Yours might have the same issue.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Put the notched portion of the firering between the 2 hinges in the back, the notch is for the playesetter to go with one leg in the back to deflect the heat at the hottest point of the egg. I would also clean out the gunk, even a small piece of lump will do that. GL.

Edit: that almond size rock could be the culprit.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Load that pup up and do a clean burn! Have warranty in hand.........
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I recently got a warranty fire ring for my medium. My new one is larger in diameter than my old one and it fits but there isn't much room to spare. Do you know if it fit correctly when new?
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • dopey
    Options
    RRP said:
    for not liking it he sure used it a lot! The fire ring in my medium is slightly oval in shape and my base is also a bit off so I have to be very careful on how I place the fire ring so it won't wobble. Yours might have the same issue.
    It was mostly me using it after I got it back, but I never thought about the fit since I didn't put it together in the first place!

I started to think about it when I wanted to do a clean burn.  What would the heat do to the ring if it's sitting so tight?  

It works alright right now since my driveway isn't level, I can cant the grate so it is, but I think I'll contact my dealer and get it dun rite.  

John Central CT
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd do a clean burn if it doesn't fit down to the fire box. Crazy high heat may crack your base. Replacing a fire ring is a hell of a lot easier than replacing a base and getting the hinge set up to close nicely again. Maybe you can take a scraper and get the gunk off the egg base and fire ring to see how tight it really is?
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • dopey
    Options
    Yeah, it's tight no matter how clean it is.  I asked pops and his senile old mind didn't remember how it went together.  I just know it doesn't fit like my MM or XL so it's going in for a replacement.  

I have to say, I never thought a medium would be great for a primary grill....... completely wrong.  I use this thing for 70% of what I cook since I re-got it back.  

It's getting a replacement ring asap to reclaim my primary grill.

John Central CT
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited July 2016
    Options
    IMO  you don't need a clean high heat burn to clean that even though it is really gunked up. I would use a deflector and moderate heat nothing much above 425. I would take it apart and brush off as much as I could with a stiff brush put it back together and burn it moderately with a deflector in place. It should burn most of that stuff off. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    ^^^ it's possible this would help the fit (if there is enough crud on the ring to have a little bearing on its dimensions).
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    holy crap thats dirty!

If you think that's dirty, you ought to see @JohnInCarolina 's minimax! 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    You need a nest for it? Got one in the garage. 
    If you don't get rid of it, I'll buy it from you the next time I see you. 
  • dopey
    Options
    DIRTY!????? 'tis not a martini sir...

John Central CT
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Run a clean burn through that thing and then see how everything looks.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    Looks like a grease build-up is why the fire ring is tight.  I would do a clean burn as suggested.
  • dopey
    Options

Since I trust everything the internet has to say, here it goes!  2am, I need a life...

John Central CT
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Love the medium. An underrated Egg! Easy to move alone, quick heat up times and takes up little space on the porch.