Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you have the Large, why get a Mini or Small?

Big Hoser
Big Hoser Posts: 104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had the Large for over a month now and am very pleased with it (best steak, ribs and butt I've ever had, and I'm still learning). I'm a single bachelor but I do have a few people over now and then for some BBQ as I love to cook and show off my prowess at it (it definitely impresses dates, when I can get 'em. The unknown variable in my life is a date on Saturday night). Anyway, got a few questions:[p]1) I've noticed reading this forum that many people pair up their large with a small or mini? Why? You have a lot of left over charcoal in the large and it's easy to fire back up, so why not use it? Or is it because for small cooks or cooking for 1 or 2 the mini or small is even more economical in its charcoal use? [p]2)And which is better to pair up with the large, the small or mini? (Assuming I'd be mostly using my smaller egg for trexing a single steak or chicken parts and the like). [p]3) I'm considering buying the long table to put my large Egg in. If I get a mini or small, I'd want a table that holds both? Is there such a product available? Thanks all.

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Big Hoser:[p]I can't answer directly about a large & small/mini as I have two larges and a mini. However, the reason I got the second egg was to be able to cook two different items at different temps at the same time. Such as having a couple of butts on the large, but still want to do some burgers for dinner as an example. (We won the mini in a raffle and use it for "single" cooks and take it to work for lunch cooks). I went with a large as my second egg as I wanted maximum flexibility. Hope that helps.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Big Hoser,
    I only have a large, but I can tell you why I want a small:[p]When I have the large at a high temp and want to cook vegetables/potatoes at roasting temp.[p]When I have a 22lb turkey in the large and want something else cooking on an egg.[p]When I want to get something up to 600 quickly for sear/dwell, I have heard it's more efficient on the lump. That would apply to me often since I usually cook steaks or burgers for two. [p]Timing, even if everything is at the same temp. Appetizers for 10 on the small while dinner for 10 is cooking on the large, undisturbed.[p]Hope that helps, though it definitely won't help your budget.[p]Joyce

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Big Hoser,
    I started with a large and later added a small. I got my small to take camping with me, but later found myself using it quite a bit either by itself or while I had something else on the large at a different temp. Options are good. Diff foods at diff temps, etc... You will not regret getting a small.
    Seth

• Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Big Hoser,[p]I don't have a small, but I want one to take with me tailgating and camping, or even over a friends house.

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Big Hoser,
    What I often tell new egg owners is "wnehever you have a spare $10.00 or $20.00 in your pocket, take it and put it in a jar until you have enough to buy small." That way it won't be a shock to the budget and you will get it when you are ready.
    Have a great weekend.
    Seth

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_00321.jpg
    <p />Big Hoser,
    I am a big fan of the large and small combo which gives so much flexibility. As for the table - I made mine to accomodate both.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    SSN686,[p]I too have added a second large. I wanted the 2nd to do different things, as was said, have a low and slow going and do chicken at the same time. Or the other day I had Beef ribs in one, and an hour before dinner, I fired the second up to do corn on it....[p]Custom made table is the way to go.... I am almost done with my first. I opted for a single table with one large and a large workspace. Once that is done, I will decide if I just make a matching egg holder, or if I make another table.... We'll see how the first one works out. [p]My one wish is a good outdoor sink at this point .....
  • Ironbaugh
    Ironbaugh Posts: 93
    RRP,
    Don't have a large- but do have a medium and a small. Most family gatherings we are cooking 3 or 4 different foods at different temps. RRP-- It sure looks cold up in Dunlop--assuming a Chicago burb.

• CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Big Hoser,[p]Eventually I want to have two larges and a mini. As everyone has said on this thread, multiple eggs equals flexibility. I want a mini for portability.
  • randomegger
    randomegger Posts: 194
    Big Hoser,[p]I have all three.[p]The real answer is because the voices in your head tell you to buy a small or mini. But my politcally correct answer is the same as most everyone elses: there's just going to be a time when you have more stuff to cook then will fit on one large at one temperature.[p]I honestly think the small is too much to deal with to really call it portable, which is why I got my mini.[p]A few weeks ago I made some ribs on the large for a small party we were having. I fired up the small to put on some bacon wrapped scallops as an appetizer then later for some homemade beans. One member of the group didn't like ribs (can you imagine?!) so while everything else was cooking I used the mini to do up some chicken breasts. [p]I'm not saying that having a second or third egg is necessary but it sure is nice to have options.[p]RE
  • SSN686
    Morning Master Mason:[p]I have been using my new "table" and outdoor sink for about a week now. The sink is large enought that I can lay the cooking grids flat in the bottom of the sink. Very happy with the improvements! [p]closeregg.jpg[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Big Hoser,
    I got my Mini to go along with my Egg for two reasons:[p]1. At the time the wife was traveling a lot and it just plain felt weird to fire up the large for a couple of brats or a steak for one person.[p]2. My dealer had a Mini he desperately wanted to unload because it sat on his showroom floor for a year. I offered him $60 and he said "Sold!" It was a deal I just couldn't pass up. (Yes, I was out the door with the Mini so fast I left skid marks.)[p]Kelly
    Jefferson City, MO

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Master Mason,[p]The outdoor sink is a handy item to have around, I made this one that doubles as a bar on the backside with stools.[p]kitchen3jan2006.jpg[p]I also have elected to go with the "2 Larges" as my outdoor cooking line-up. I like the 18" grill space, no need to go bigger or smaller with my needs.[p]I want to see pictures of this table project when you get it ready.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• MasterMason
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]Here are a couple of pics of the work in process[p]IMG_1079.jpg[p]
    IMG_1084.jpg

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Ironbaugh,
    yeah that snow was a real surprise during this 85 degree day!!!
    Actually Dunlap is essentially midway between Chicago and St Louis. We have contiguous boundaries on the south with Peoria, the world headquaters of Caterpillar Tractor.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MasterMason
    Master Mason,
    trying again[p]

IMG_1079.jpg[p]
    IMG_1084.jpg[p]

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Master Mason,[p]I like...nice top.[p]I've played with my 2 large arrangement a few different ways now. I first had them side by side...I have a 6' stainless table in between them now.[p]Which offers plenty of space for both cookers when they are working together.[p]DSC00650.jpg[p]

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• QBH
    QBH Posts: 49
    Big Hoser,[p]We got the small to go camping with, but later decided we would rather take a medium. We still love the small, but the medium is better for pizzas for 4-6 people.[p]We bought the mini because it is so darn cute, but to be honest, I don't really like it that much...it is hard to get a low temp on (350 minimum) and it takes so long to cool down, that it is not terribly useful for taking to picnics and the like. People will probably jump in and say how much they love their mini, but I would not go with anything less than a small.
  • Big Hoser,[p]I've got a large and a small and I really like the combination...I use the small for steaks and the large for everything else...I bought the large one first and go the birds nest(or whatever they call the stand)...when I got the small I built a table for it, and just have the large next to the table...that way I can use the table for either grill...cooking steaks on the small is much better than the large imho -- it uses less lump and you can get a really good sear without having to use an extremely high temperature...but I only cook 1 or 2 steaks -- if you are wanting to do several steaks at the time you'd want to use the large
  • SSN686, do you have a roof over this outdoor kitchen or is it out in the open? My back patio is covered, but I've been reluctant to put the egg on it because I don't want smoke to cover the windows, porth top, etc. At this point, I have it just around the corner of the house in open space with a side table, but am trying to decide on a more permanent arrangement.

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 123
    SSN686,[p]
    Is that an image of an egg in the tile in the lower right portion of your picture? Pretty impressive setup!

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Big Hoser,
    Today I fired up the small to cook a couple dogs for myself and the kiddos. Much less lump consumption.
    I normally will do ABTs on the small while the main event is on the large.

• FL Bob
    FL Bob Posts: 39
    What is that forign thing you have hiding under the green cover.
  • P6070012.jpg
    <p />Burgers 'n Brats down low....[p]Big Hoser,
    If you don't need a 2nd Egg for extra grill space or different temp/smoke, etc, the Lg. can be easily downsized to a Small....just remove Lg. fire grate & insert small firebox/grate & ring.
    Then, an Egg cook grate or one from 14.5" Weber will give a Small setup inside the Lg. with less lump burn...and other cooks can be done using the std. Lg. cook grate with more distance to fire & more capacity plus a 'cool' zone around the perimeter.[p]I started this setup 1st of Jun & for 15 cooks in 30days, I used only Small box setup, but with different cook grates:
    1-std. small
    2-cast iron on std. Lg. fire ring.
    3-elevated grate 5" on Lg. fire ring.[p]Cooks included lg. grouper filet, steak, surf 'n turf, 12" pizzas, shrimp kabobs, prime rib roast, chix wings & chests, swordfish steaks, burgers 'n brats, and 2 long cooks: 5.5lb butt(direct) & 5lb brisket point(direct but w/drip pan) that went 12hrs each with lump start near top of fire ring....after cook, firebox was still half full for both cooks....and that's with Cowboy lump.[p]Burgers on Lg. cast iron...
    P6080014.jpg[p]Small butt on elevated grate...
    P6090016.jpg[p]Butt after 12hrs.....
    P6090020.jpg[p]Bone-in Chix Chests on raised grate....
    P6050007.jpg[p]Prime Rib raised grate after 400deg sear...
    P6260001.jpg[p]Prime Rib after 2.5hrs/225deg grate/indirect...abit of CPR & this guy mite make it back to pasture... :)))
    P6260007.jpg[p]Except for butt, brisket, & rib roast, all other cooks used less than 1lb of lump.[p]And the options go on & on....like the Lg. fire grate can be used to raise lump level in the small box and/or provide a larger area of heat....or remove small fire ring & put cook grate on top of f-box for closer heat/searing....
    Anywhoooo.....these are some of many ways to make the Egg more efficient & versatile.[p]Cost for f-box,ring & f-grate was ~$95 + $30 ship from BGE and $9 for Weber cook grate(already had it on hand).
    DavidS
    ps: today is 1st cook with std.large setup since downsize trials & is due to 9lb. picnic & didn't want to risk running out of lump altho I think the small will go 14-16hrs. based on 1st butt cook.

• SSN686
    Morning Chuck/Tx:[p]The kitchen is in a screened enclosure (think pool enclosure), so the "roof" is screen material. The picture below shows it from "outside". That should help explain it. This way the smoke does go out. Unfortunately the sun was so bright that it is difficult to see that the top is screening.[p]P7010002.jpg[p]Previously we had the Eggs on the other porch with a metal roof at about 7'6" high and that did get stained with smoke after four years of use. The link below will take you to the webpage that shows the "before", during and after of creating the kitchen. Hope this helps.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

[ul][li]Outdoor Kitchen Link[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Morning Ed:[p]Thanks for the kind words about the new kitchen. Yes, that is an image of the Egg in the floor. It is not "tile", but acid staining of the concrete, then grooves cut to make it look like tile. The image of the Egg was my wife's idea and the guy doing the acid staining did a pretty good job of pulling it off. Here are a couple of better pictures of the floor area.[p]P5130013.jpg[p]
    P5130006.jpg[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    DavidS,[p]I'm not sure but I think your experiments come under the category of "why the heck didn't I think of this?" :>)[p]
  • Haggis,
    Actually, I did a larger downsize in a grill store last summer when I finally got a look-see/hands-on to an XL....downsized it to a large; but a med. or small shud work in the XL as well but mite need a 2nd f-ring to get better 'chimney' heat in that large volume...but, the smaller f-boxes give alot more 'cool' area on the outer band of the 24" monster grate...
    But I opted against the XL & decided if I got a 2nd Egg, it wud be another Lg. with small downsize option as well.
    DavidS