Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RVing with a Large

Options
has anyone full timed in a coach with a large? Bout to pick up a vintage wander lodge and start wandering and really want to bring my large with me. Have been thinking about having a welder build me some sort of mount/lift that lifts it up and secures it on the rear bumper some how. Or just disassembling it and bringing it into the RV while moving. I'm pretty able bodied and can lift the large base myself when disassembled. 
Any recommendations ?

Comments

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I would be scared it might break or crack riding on the rear bumper. I just recently took my xl camping with us and only because we stayed for 10 days and my wife drove her Tahoe and I put it in the back of it to travel. We were close to home and I continued to work while camping and she stayed at the campground each day so we drove separate. 
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My main concern would be for the internal components; the fire ring and fire box, banging against the kettle shell. Maybe if you use foam blocks or stacked cardboard to separate the components from the kettle wall and each other. I have been thinking (lusting) after a mini max to haul in the bed of my truck on fishing trips. But I  am concerned about this issue. Interested to hear others who are more knowledgable than I on the issue. Ps. thats a beautiful cooking spot in the picture, what could be better than that. wow. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    I would not put a large on the back, even with the insides out. Too much bouncing around. I would just disassemble and move in the motor home. The time that it would take you to unmount, you can have it reassembled without the fear of it cracking. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• JHands
    JHands Posts: 78
    Options
    Fair point. Disassembly is probably the best way. Now finding a place for storage where it doesn't get in the way will be tricky 
  • JHands
    JHands Posts: 78
    Options
    Could also put it in the back of the Jetta wagon we will be towing behind too
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would think about one of the broil king kegs with a hitch mount.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    A friend of mine mounted his generators on custom steel tube framing. I would do it for an egg but everything would need some sort of paddling like cardboard, foam, etc inside and between each ceramic while moving.
    Austin, Tx
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My recommendation would be a Jumbo Joe.
    There are times, that hauling a small in a custom table while camping is a major PITA for weekend runs.  Couldn't imagine a L, or XL.  Did it once for a comp, never again.

Aside from breakfast, cooking is kind of put on the back burner, if you know what I'm saying.  Quick direct or two-zone cooks after a full day of running around.  Or over the campfire without the grill at all.
    That may change down the road.

The Weber JJ is 18".  I slow smoked some brats via the snake method in the Dells, they turned out nice.  It's a great grab-and-grill/smoker....lightweight, small footprint.  Lid locks for travel.  Pretty awesome paired with the Blackstone Tailgater griddle.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    What type WanderLodge??  My late FIL had one, and I once did a lot of work with Joe Luce back when he owned Bluebird.  I know the 90's models onward were all full sized buses with pretty good storage, etc.  Not sure if there is a spot for a large in the standard setup though
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would honestly not want to drag a couple hundred pounds of ceramic around in an RV.  I think a durable and much lighter alternative would be a metal (double walled, insulated) kamado.   You'll get the same results, use a tad more fuel, and it won't crack.   Or a weber.

http://www.wayfair.com/Char-Griller-45.2-Akorn-Kamado-Charcoal-Grill-with-Metal-Side-Shelves-EFC1039.html?PiID[]=12784331&source=hotdeals

Options
    Or a keg: https://www.amazon.com/Broil-King-BKK4000-Charcoal-Convection-Style/dp/B0055XSP54

on another note, would you share some pics of the wanderlodge???? 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    We RV with our minimax.  Keep it in the basement of the 5th wheel.  Rides really well.  I couldn't imagine trying to set up a large-the mm is heavy enough.