Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2016 Rub & Sauce Exchange - Show Off Thread

Comments

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    edited June 2016
    Quoting Joe Walsh.  Life's been good to me so far. And it got better when I came home and found a package from @Big_Green_Craig on the porch
    he enclosed a note says these were some of his personal favorites I have been following his cooks for a couple of years so I can't wait to get started using them

And thanks@cazzy for putting it together again
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    hondabbq said:
    JMCXL said:
    Just in time...  So I was getting ready to back for vacation when this arrived.  Thanks a million Damian "Hondabbq"!!!

The Maple Leaf will come for at least one cook (ok maybe 2) and I am currently picking out which flavors of Bon Vivant to bring.  This is just like Christmas.  The box was SOOOOO big.

The Great White North hits a home run.

Thanks Jay

I'm glad you like it. 
    The sauces are definitely different and eclectic but they are good for changing it up sometimes. 

Happy grilling my friend. 
    Now where did you ever find all those sauces ;)
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • gmac
    Ok, @cazzy needs to post his address and everyone who appreciates this can send Cazzy one sauce or rub in appreciation. Should be enough for the next 25 years. Who's in??
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    @GATraveller let me know what you think about the cookies. I can't open the little bastards without eating the whole bag. I figured if I threw those in I wouldn't have to use as many old shopping bags for filler.

@gmac I'm in. Thanks Caz!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Good call on the Whataburger catsup and mustard. I'll try to remember that for next year. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    boom goes the dynamite!  brought to you by @GATABITES by way of baltimore!

a plethora of rubs and sauces from the local area (and 1 from his homeland of FL).  he went well above and beyond and hooked me up with a football shaped cutting board too!!!  im beyond elated at his generosity!  he even promised me crabs if i am ever in the area!

ps:  the habanero sauce came with a warning in huge bold letters and im kinda skurred now lol
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    gmac said:
    Ok, @cazzy needs to post his address and everyone who appreciates this can send Cazzy one sauce or rub in appreciation. Should be enough for the next 25 years. Who's in??
    Really cool thought but y'all don't need to do anything like that.  I thoroughly enjoy setting this exchange up...you guys putting your all into the exchange is all the appreciation I need!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • gmac
    Well you can text me... :) 
    This is truly the highlight of the BGE year for me. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    tonyled said:
    boom goes the dynamite!  brought to you by @GATABITES by way of baltimore!

a plethora of rubs and sauces from the local area (and 1 from his homeland of FL).  he went well above and beyond and hooked me up with a football shaped cutting board too!!!  im beyond elated at his generosity!  he even promised me crabs if i am ever in the area!

ps:  the habanero sauce came with a warning in huge bold letters and im kinda skurred now lol
    be careful you know the terms here...
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    bgebrent said:
    JACKPOT!!!!  @fiver29 (dude with the blue egg) totally hooked me up with local and regional Midwest goodies, and lots of em!!  Multiple sauces and rubs including a hotdog sauce!  My wife and I are already into the Pickles & Peppers.  Delicious with a kick!  Accompanying all this was a detailed letter with history on the items and how he liked to use them.  Blown away.  Thank you very, very much brother!  Can't wait to get started this weekend.  And thank you @cazzy!

Awesome!!  Glad you like it!  Tony Packo's was referenced by Klinger in MASH a long time ago.  Thus, the Toledo reference on my letter.  It was a weak one at that haha

Have a great weekend and enjoy!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    @tonyled - don't be skurred, lol!!  You're in Texas so I figured you needed some heat. 

I'm glad everything made it safe.You didn't leave me a wish list so, I got a variety of flavors. I hope you enjoy. Let me know what you like. I use the outlaw on ribs and finisher rub for butts. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    @fiver29, loved Mash and now we're both dated.  Amazing gift brother, you brought it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • gmac
    @fiver29. Does Adams Rib make a sauce?  Love that show. 
    My wife's parents last 4 numbers of their phone number are 8063. Always remember that, not 4077 but hey...
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    gmac said:
    @fiver29. Does Adams Rib make a sauce?  Love that show. 
    My wife's parents last 4 numbers of their phone number are 8063. Always remember that, not 4077 but hey...
    I lived in Toledo over 15 years ago. I still remember Adam's Ribs. I don't know if they sell their sauce. I'll have to check next time I visit Toledo. We visit a few times a year. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Foghorn said:
    Good call on the Whataburger catsup and mustard. I'll try to remember that for next year. 
    Just had the exact same thought as I saw the bottles. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • tonyled
    Foghorn said:
    Just had the exact same thought as I saw the bottles. 
    x3
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Today I received a very nice and carefully shopped box from @dmchicago with a great letter describing everything.
    I’m looking forward to spreading that mole on a chicken, trying that serrano hot sauce and I’m real curious about the Hard Core Carnivore rub…which is black (it lists activated charcoal as the last ingredient. ?)

Sadly, a couple items grew legs along the way and an absolutely beautiful looking jar of fragrant Guajillo Honey did not survive the journey.   But!  a small price for what looks like some really nice items.  Thanks again.  Can't wait to try all of this.  We're opening the salsa right now....  :plus_one:

:bawling:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Woohoo, well done @fiver29, looks like a great haul for @bgebrent!
    Chicago, Illinois
  • tonyled
    GATABITES said:
    @tonyled - don't be skurred, lol!!  You're in Texas so I figured you needed some heat. 

I'm glad everything made it safe.You didn't leave me a wish list so, I got a variety of flavors. I hope you enjoy. Let me know what you like. I use the outlaw on ribs and finisher rub for butts. 
    you nailed it!  i purposely didnt make a wish list because i wanted variety.  i tend to gravitate toward the same things which is sad because i will literally try anything once
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Acn said:
    I'd been giddy waiting to get home today - had the tracking number, so I knew today was the day, and I knew it was a big box.  It exceeded any hopes or expectations - @houstonegger was incredibly generous.  I've got to build some shelves in the basement this weekend, so on one hand, I'm bummed because I can't immediately tear into all this and use it like 8 times this weekend, but on the other hand I need the storage!

Thank you so much Nick, I can't wait to dig into all this new stuff!

Glad it all made it in one piece! Staycation is brewed right here in Houston, one of my favorite beers. 

Defcon is a wing sauce that is of the chain. Grill some wings and try it out. 

The hot sauce is made by a friend of mine and is great on veggies. 

Most of the ribs are pretty self explanatory - just watch yourself around the Ghost pepper!
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    KiterTodd said:
    Today I received a very nice and carefully shopped box from @dmchicago with a great letter describing everything.
    I’m looking forward to spreading that mole on a chicken, trying that serrano hot sauce and I’m real curious about the Hard Core Carnivore rub…which is black (it lists activated charcoal as the last ingredient. ?)

Sadly, a couple items grew legs along the way and an absolutely beautiful looking jar of fragrant Guajillo Honey did not survive the journey.   But!  a small price for what looks like some really nice items.  Thanks again.  Can't wait to try all of this.  We're opening the salsa right now....  :plus_one:

I going to lie...I would make sure all the glass is out of the honey and toss it in a mason jar.  
  • gmac
    cazzy said:
    KiterTodd said:

I going to lie...I would make sure all the glass is out of the honey and toss it in a mason jar.  
    I wasn't gonna say it but as a former beekeeper I'd be putting that in the microwave, melting it out (it works) and passing it through some cheesecloth and a sieve and enjoying it. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    KiterTodd said:

Todd

dont worry brother. I'll send a replacement   
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    @ChillyWillis hooked me up!  Thanks a ton.  He figured out that I am a bit of a fire eater and didn't disappoint (particularly since it appears I will be sharing a confined space with two butt docs determined to demonstrate their flatular superiority).

Everything was packed great and survived intact, along with a great note describing all of his choices. 

Nice work, and thanks again!

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    gmac said:
    I wasn't gonna say it but as a former beekeeper I'd be putting that in the microwave, melting it out (it works) and passing it through some cheesecloth and a sieve and enjoying it. 
    It was that kind of glass that breaks into small shards.  I'd never feel like I got it all out, even though I probably would've.

@dmchicago , please don't worry about sending another.  There's a little bit of loss every year when, as a group, we send this much goodness through the mail system.  It happens.  It's all good!

Heck, that stack right there in the middle of serrano, butcher's dust and smoked mole...that alone is a win! 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • cazzy
    edited July 2016
    Looking for someone outside of Texas to join.  @Chubbs @Thatgrimguy @SGH @nolaegghead
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    20stone said:
    @ChillyWillis hooked me up!  Thanks a ton.  He figured out that I am a bit of a fire eater and didn't disappoint (particularly since it appears I will be sharing a confined space with two butt docs determined to demonstrate their flatular superiority).

Everything was packed great and survived intact, along with a great note describing all of his choices. 

Nice work, and thanks again!

Glad to hear it made it all in one piece; and even happier to know it'll be the cause of a proctologist gasfest.

From one fire eater to another, happy 4th to you and yours @20stone

• annjamaican
    annjamaican Posts: 152
    How do you join the exchange? I'd be happy to share some of my spices. 
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • NERVOUS
    NERVOUS Posts: 104
    I just read this entire thread from beginning to end.  I'm completely blown away by the individual time and effort (not to mention generosity) contributed to this exchange by the community as a whole - Kudos to everyone involved.  I can't wait to participate the next time around.
    Jeremiah  |  La Canada Flintridge, CA  |  XL BGE
    "Life is about experiences...  And one of my absolute favorite experiences is FOOD!"