Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lewis Barbecue, Charleston, SC

Options
tarheelmatt
tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
edited June 2016 in Off Topic
Anyone near the area hit up Lewis's new place? Think they opened yesterday.  Outside curb appeal looks awesome.  
------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm generally wary of BBQ joints with curb appeal. Something just ain't right about it. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I'm generally wary of BBQ joints with curb appeal. Something just ain't right about it. 
    For sure, though I'm not sure Charleston market would go for places we know and love.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    For sure, though I'm not sure Charleston TOURIST market would go for places we know and love.  
    FTFY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A place serving beef in Charleston seems weird as hell, unless it's hash. It's always an afterthought to the star of the show, whole hog.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Curb appeal like "classy" or like "watched waaay too much HGTV"?
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    A place serving beef in Charleston seems weird as hell, unless it's hash. It's always an afterthought to the star of the show, whole hog.
    Kinda what I'm thinking too.  In the land of the hog, this guy's wanting to go beef.  

I'd try it.  I'm thinking it would probably be as close to Franklin's as I'll ever get though.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks like a nice place.  

Lewis Barbecue opening Tuesday  on Nassau Street on Charlestons upper peninsula serves up Texas-style smoked meats

It looks like they are definitely pushing the beef.

Perhaps a tad trendy looking but the outdoor seating area looks like a good place to get some grub on and knock back some beers.  According to the interweb they have local beers and cocktails.  Also according to the interweb it was a 2 hour line on opening day.  

Lewis Barbecue - Charleston SC United States More outdoor seating Building to left is where the magic happens smokers

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    We gone have to round up the militia and get rid of that mural.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

Perhaps a tad trendy looking but the outdoor seating area looks like a good place to get some grub on and knock back some beers.  According to the interweb they have local beers and cocktails.  Also according to the interweb it was a 2 hour line on opening day.  

I have been following him on Facebook, since I read he spit from Texas and was opening something in SC.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    don't be on this one. He was Franklin's pitmaster when he was called "the best bbq in the world". It does look fancy but this is old school 100% oak fired Tx style bbq. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I have been following him on Facebook, since I read he spit from Texas and was opening something in SC.  
    He's legit. Period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Kinda what I'm thinking too.  In the land of the hog, this guy's wanting to go beef.  

I'd try it.  I'm thinking it would probably be as close to Franklin's as I'll ever get though.  
    might be just like Franklin's.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

He's legit. Period.
    That's what I read.  Am I right by saying he held a helping hand with Franklin's brisket success from the "Brisket Room" or something like that? 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    With Rodney Scott & Sweatmans nearby he better bring his A Game
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

That's what I was thinking since he was with Franklin for a long time. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

That's John Lewis on the left in the Trailer before there was a Franklin BBQ restaurant. This is when Franklin exploded. John had a hand in it for sure. I can tell you that I think Aaron's brisket is consistently better but John's food is out of this world. If you don't like his brisket, you don't like brisket. Everything he does is top notch though. try it- you will not be sorry.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

That's John Lewis on the left in the Trailer before there was a Franklin BBQ restaurant. This is when Franklin exploded. John had a hand in it for sure. I can tell you that I think Aaron's brisket is consistently better but John's food is out of this world. If you don't like his brisket, you don't like brisket. Everything he does is top notch though. try it- you will not be sorry.
    Cool, thanks.  

It's about a 4.25 hr trip there for me.  We've been itching to get down to Charelston to see my wife's family.  Maybe I'll nudge the wife on doing this now.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    yeah but I'm sure Charleston needs a new whole hog place like we need another brisket place. I would love to have a Charleston style bbq joint open here. Something different. Especially if someone came in with Lewis' chops.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    don't be on this one. He was Franklin's pitmaster when he was called "the best bbq in the world". It does look fancy but this is old school 100% oak fired Tx style bbq. 
    Is he cooking here or is this a name only venture? 
  • jpb49
    jpb49 Posts: 1
    Options
    I rode by the place yesterday and the line was wrapped around the building and down the parking lot.  Heard the wait was around 1.5 hours.  Hopefully the hype will pass soon and I can go by and give it a shot.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    yeah but I'm sure Charleston needs a new whole hog place like we need another brisket place. I would love to have a Charleston style bbq joint open here. Something different. Especially if someone came in with Lewis' chops.
    He would have done better with a Gullah restaurant, based on Charleston history. I have the feeling that his clientele will be hipster transplants and college kids whose parents are in town. He He must have some legit weed to come up with this business plan.

Good luck to him, either way.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

He's cooking and slicing from what I gather. 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    According to his website, he's listed as the pitmaster 
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options

MENU

LEWIS BARBECUE
    • Prime Beef Brisket
      $21/lb
    • Beef Short Ribs (Sat. only)
      $22/lb
    • Pulled Pork
      $18/lb
    • Pork Spare Ribs
      $18/lb
    • Turkey Breast
      $18/lb
    • Texas Hot Guts (Housemade Sausage)
      $5/link
    Sandwiches
    • “El Sancho”
      $11
    • Brisket (chopped or sliced)
      $10.50
    • Pulled Pork or Turkey
      $9
    • Sausage
      $8
    Sides
    • Single/$2.50 Pint/$8 Quart/$12
    • Buttermilk Potato Salad
    • Creamy Lemon Slaw
    • Green Bean Salad
    • Cowboy Pinto Beans
    • Green Chile Corn Pudding
      $3.50
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    tgs2401 said:

MENU

LEWIS BARBECUE
    • Prime Beef Brisket
      $21/lb
      $22/lb
    • Pulled Pork
      $18/lb
    • Pork Spare Ribs
      $18/lb
    • Turkey Breast
      $18/lb
      $5/link
    Sandwiches
    • “El Sancho”
      $11
      $10.50
    • Pulled Pork or Turkey
      $9
    • Sausage
      $8
    Sides
    • Creamy Lemon Slaw
    • Green Bean Salad
    • Cowboy Pinto Beans
      $3.50
    Dang!  

I've never experienced Tx Q, but are these prices around the same?  

If so these folks I see post these plates/trays on Instagram, etc, are worth about $50!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    18/lb for pulled pork in Charleston?!?!? 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 

He is on drugs.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Is he cooking here or is this a name only venture? T

He is cooking there only. This is his baby. he has part ownership of a trailer operation in Austin but he's been out of the operations side of that for over a year.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    tgs2401 said:

MENU

LEWIS BARBECUE
    • Prime Beef Brisket
      $21/lb
      $22/lb
    • Pulled Pork
      $18/lb
    • Pork Spare Ribs
      $18/lb
    • Turkey Breast
      $18/lb
      $5/link
    Sandwiches
    • “El Sancho”
      $11
      $10.50
    • Pulled Pork or Turkey
      $9
    • Sausage
      $8
    Sides
    • Creamy Lemon Slaw
    • Green Bean Salad
    • Cowboy Pinto Beans
      $3.50
    Dang!  

I've never experienced Tx Q, but are these prices around the same?  

If so these folks I see post these plates/trays on Instagram, etc, are worth about $50!  
    They are the same. It ain't cheap.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site