Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

why was my thread deleted?

I had a thread in off-topic about the VW diesel buyback and now it is deleted

anyone know why?
Boom

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think @JohnInCarolina has a theory on that...

It has been happening pretty frequently lately and without any rhyme or reason.  It seems like any off topic post may get deleted.  Basically I think a mod checks in once a day or so and if he happens to see something OT on the front page it is removed.  

A smarter and friendlier alternative would be to modify the site so that off topic doesn't show up on the front page, and then if a post is off topic and not categorized appropriately the mod moves it to off topic. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    It is pointless to ask here. None of us know and your guess is as good as anyone's. And the mod(s) refuse to issue advisories or participate in any way whatsoever. Only forum I've ever been a part of where the mod hides in a closet. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    It is pointless to ask here. None of us know and your guess is as good as anyone's. And the mod(s) refuse to issue advisories or participate in any way whatsoever. Only forum I've ever been a part of where the mod hides in a closet. 
    amen!!!

it is actually counterproductive to how i think they think it works.  im on another pretty active forum and this one isnt looked at too favorably and that is the main reason why
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    The buffalo hates liars and or Germans.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I thought it was the Dutch?!
  • tarheelmatt
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    edited June 2016
    Or just include  "In style of Dixie"  or "If I had Ron's money" after your subject line and you'll be golden!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657

It has been happening pretty frequently lately and without any rhyme or reason.
    all of these usually involve brand names, and not food-related
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Or just include  "In style of Dixie"  or "If I had Ron's money" after your subject line and you'll be golden!  
    I wish that were true. However I have probably had more threads buffaloed than anyone. Some time back there was a troll TheManBehindTheMask, or something to that affect that intentionally got several of my threads buffaloed. All of my original RTIC threads are gone. At first he seemed to target Mikee and Darby. Then he started hitting me for whatever reason. I think the buffalo finally buffaloed him.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    well all the details of the buyback have been announced. now just pending until judge approves july 28th and then probably Oct before anything starts happening

based on the numbers I would pocket over $6,600 with fix and pocket $4K with buyback

looks like I will go fix, which includes an extended warranty as well, pocket the extra money and life goes on

get my 4runner another year it seems
    Boom
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    well all the details of the buyback have been announced. now just pending until judge approves july 28th and then probably Oct before anything starts happening

based on the numbers I would pocket over $6,600 with fix and pocket $4K with buyback

looks like I will go fix, which includes an extended warranty as well, pocket the extra money and life goes on

Where are you getting those numbers?

Latest I've seen is that no fix has been announced, owners will get a buy-back offer for 08/15 value, and 5,100-10k in compensation.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

Latest I've seen is that no fix has been announced, owners will get a buy-back offer for 08/15 value, and 5,100-10k in compensation.
    This is what I understand.  Buybacks should start around November.  However, you have until September, 2018 to make a decision at the same value, so it seems worthwhile to drive it for a while before executing the buyback (if that's the way  you are going).

NOLA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Did your thread mention this guy?  He is the BGE moderaters arch nemisis apparently.

Phoenix 
  • AVEngineer
    AVEngineer Posts: 120
    The window for them to release the "fix" is November '16 and October '17, according to one article I read. Given how this has gone so far I figure they will announce it sometime in late October of '17, then it has to be approved. By that time most who have early generation cars will have sold them and be onto something different, and not a VW. It seems that are playing more of a waiting game then working to fix the sisituation. I can only hope the future fines surpass the 20 billion threshold and someone learns something from this, but corporate greed seldom does. .. Vent over..
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • blasting said:

Did your thread mention this guy?  He is the BGE moderaters arch nemisis apparently.

Who is that imposter?  Here's the real Colonel Sanders!

Or maybe it's this guy?

Or quite possibly this guy?

Heck!  I'm confused!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307

Oh give me a home...

Where the buffalo roam....

and the deer and the antelope play....

where seldom is heard, a discouraging word...

LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    Only forum I've ever been a part of where the mod hides in a closet. 
    I prefer to believe that he is trapped in a glass cage of emotion.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited June 2016
    I thought mods went out in the 70's?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Exactly Fred!  Thanks for the laugh.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • FanOfFanboys

No fix has been announced for date

All the exact numbers for value of car have been announced and broken down between buback or choosing the fix

Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    The window for them to release the "fix" is November '16 and October '17, according to one article I read. Given how this has gone so far I figure they will announce it sometime in late October of '17, then it has to be approved. By that time most who have early generation cars will have sold them and be onto something different, and not a VW. It seems that are playing more of a waiting game then working to fix the sisituation. I can only hope the future fines surpass the 20 billion threshold and someone learns something from this, but corporate greed seldom does. .. Vent over..
    if everything is approved based on current schedule dates "fall" is when buybacks will start. there is no scheduled date as of now for when they are required to announce a fix
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    buzd504 said:

This is what I understand.  Buybacks should start around November.  However, you have until September, 2018 to make a decision at the same value, so it seems worthwhile to drive it for a while before executing the buyback (if that's the way  you are going).

no date for buybacks has been announced other than "fall" though it is rumored if there are no more setbacks it should be October

You do get to maintain the value they assigned for your car however there is a mileage deduction. so you can keep driving but if you exceed 1,042 miles per month you will be losing value. if you drive less you will be gaining value (if you drop to the next tier of mileage deducts)
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys

also, they are giving you trade in value of your vehicle which is drastically lower. 

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/att._1a_-_buyback_modification_table.pdf

go there, find your year/model/region and add/deduct for options

column one is the buyback and it includes the compensation

column two is if you opt for trade

after you have that number go here

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/refunds/volkswagen-settlement

choose which model you have then find the year and add/deduct mileage from the number you got from chart one

that determines what you would receive in a buyback and what you would receive with a fix (and a fix has not been announced and you do not get paid until after the fix has been implemented on your vehicle)

if you have a loan remaining on your car and you choose the buyback take that number of buyback and subtract the amount you owe on loan. that is how much money you pocket
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    the key part with fix is 1) IF approved. who knows if and when it will be approved. if you have a gen 3 motor will be easy. gen 1 and gen 2 will be much harder 2) you do not get paid until fix is approved and the fix was done to your vehicle. this could be awhile

the buyback is more or less day 1 avail once approved and date set

I am hoping they change it to private party for value of my car. that would put roughly $2k in my pocket and I would do the buyback in that situation
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Also, keep this in mind:

"if your car is totaled after June 28, 2016, but before the opt-out date (September 16, 2016), you are excluded from the settlement class and reserve your rights and claims against the Volkswagen entities."
    Boom
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Is your loan why yours is only 2k? I ran my numbers and I'm looking at nearly 20k for my buyback. My car is nearly paid off, though.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Is your loan why yours is only 2k? I ran my numbers and I'm looking at nearly 20k for my buyback. My car is nearly paid off, though.
    I did not word that correctly

as it sits with current offer my buyback is over $24K. I have only had my car just over a year and I owe just under $20k on it

What I was saying above is I wish they would offer retail pricing instead of trade in. That would give me another 2K in pocket, so the buyback for my car would be over $26k

But since they are offering trade in + compensation it is not worth the money to me. 

So I will take the fix more than likely and pocket over $6,600
    Boom