Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which egg to get? Medium or Large?

Options
gary
gary Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I are about to buy an egg. Right now we are debating between the medium and a large. My wife thinks the medium is big enough but I would like to have the large for when we have friends over or when we cook for the holidays...[p]Wifey thinks the price difference between the medium and large is not worth the extra cost for the larger cooking surface since we'll just be cooking for 2 or 3 people the vast majority of the time.[p]I was wondering if there is anybody who purchased the medium egg and then realized after the fact they should have gone with the large?[p]We should be getting the egg by the end of the month. We just drained the savings account down to get the house painted so once its back up, we should be getting the egg and the lumber to build a table....hopefully by my birthday on August 4th. :)[p]Thanks in advance...
Gary[p]

Comments

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Gary,
    I would highly suggest the Large. It is just me and my wife but I can not tell you how many times we are grateful for the bigger size, especially when we want to do more than one butt or a good amount of ribs. You will not be disapointed in the Large....

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Gary,
    the large is probably the most versatile.[p]if you get a medium, you'll eventually get the large. if you get a large, you'll eventually get a small to complement it.[p]it follows, then, that to buy the more expensive large is cheaper than to get a medium. see?[p]take the plunge.
    save some money for expando-pants, too.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Gary,
    Go large, once you get it dialed in, you'll find yourself cooking for more people. -RP

• Dublin Dawg
    Options
    Gary,
    Go with the large, no question about it!

• Unknown
    Options
    Gary,
    Once your friends and neighbors sample the goodies on the egg, you might wish for a xlarge. I have a large and a small and my vote is for the large, 'cause in the future you might want a small. a small and a large is a good pair. My vote. LARGE. Welcome to the cult!!

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    stike,[p]Don't buy expando pants. Just use your wife's or some neighbor's old maternity pants. That expandable panel on the front ROCKS![p]And by the way, you don't HAVE to get fat eating the results of BGE cooks. I've lost and kept off over 40 pounds. [p]Of course, you'd have to have bypass surgery, but who cares as long as you don't gain weight? LOL
  • Lucky Duck
    Lucky Duck Posts: 80
    Options
    Gary,
    The guy who steered me to D'egg said,"Don't fool around, get the large straight off". I did and I am quite happy w/ it... That is until the XL came out. Now I have both!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Gary,
    your wife may be thinking that an egg is just a grill. you will find in time that it is much more. whole dinners from meat to potatoes to veggies to dessert will be cooked in there at one time. its a pizza oven, so you will need the extra space to cook a good sized pizza. you will be doing over night cooks and may want extra for the freezer or for lunches for the week. i mostly cook for myself, occassionally for friends and family, and the large is the way to go.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Gary, I bought the medium and am happy with it but if I had done a little more research like this forum I would have gotten the large. The large seems to be a lot more versital than the medium. I am like said happy with what I have but would go large
    gerry

• GenesGrill
    GenesGrill Posts: 308
    Options
    Gary,
    I'm sure most guys on here will tell you to buy the large. I bought the medium and am very happy with it. Normally we cook just for my wife and myself; sometimes have another couple over and still it's big enough. If money is no object, go with the large. However, unless you plan to cook for more than four people a lot, you can't go wrong with the medium.......

• Unknown
    Options
    Gary,
    Hello, well, I have to say that I am the "wife" and I had the same thinking when we purchased our first egg. Last July we purchased a medium, yeah it was great but the more you cook with it the more space you want. About 4 months ago we upgraded to the large, (we didn’t even keep the medium for an entire year) we should have gone with the large from the beginning. Now with the large I can cook an entire meal from the veggies and twice baked potatoes to the meat of our choice. Just do the large both you and your wife will be pleased and not regret it for one minute.
    ~ Good Luck ~

• cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    Options
    Gary,[p]We had a medium for the last four or five years that generally did okay for my family of 2 adults and 2 small kids. However, we just added a large to the stable in May. The extra surface is a bigger difference than you think, and you'll find ways to use it. If you just get a medium, it's hard to do anything big enough to have people over. For the fourth, we had about 16 people over, and we had beef and chicken for fajitas filling up both of ours.[p]I'd go for the large.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Gary,
    There are just two of us also and we were at the same crossroads six years ago. We bought the large and never regretted it! Since then we have added three more BGEs to our family. Stretch your pocketbook and get the large!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    Gary,
    Just two of us and I am always glad to have whatever extra space I can get. You may not use it but it's there when you need it.

• gary
    gary Posts: 28
    Options
    Thank you very much for the replies.... I was thinking the consensus was going to lean towards getting the large.[p]I had never thought about cooking an entire dinner in the egg all at once but that is a great point to bring up...[p]Since we've got several more weeks until we can get the Egg, I can keep working on the wife about getting the large instead of the medium....[p]Gary

• Unknown
    Options
    Yeah, it's a really good point. My first few cooks were just 1 meat. Then I started adding ABTs and an aluminum packet of asparagus, etc.[p]...consider it cheaper than buying a medium and later a mini. ...and then once the wife forgets about that point, go ahead and get the mini anyway :)
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Gary,
    I would tell anyone getting into the Egg cooking, always start out with the large. If you don't, you will end up with two Egg's because you will purchase the large. [p]Chef Jerry