Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sourcing a Packer

Options
My wife has just informed me that we are going to host some people this coming Saturday and she is requesting that I do a brisket.  I usually just pick this up at Costco, but my Costco only sells the flats.  I would like to do a full packer if I could but it seems I have 2 choices on short notice.  1) I could order one from SRF or 2) I could join the KCBS and go to the Restaurant Depot (I have to assume they'll have full packers...right?).

Appreciate you thoughts.  If you have a 3rd option let me know.  I am in North Pittsburgh, PA and looking to serve ~15-18 people.
North Pittsburgh, PA
1 LGE

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    You must have a butcher near you.  Sometimes when i go in to my butcher, there is half a cow hanging on the rack behind the counter.  They are there to give you what you want.  Worth a shot.  You are far enough out time-wise to order one from your butcher.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    You won't regret joining RD, if you go that route. 
    Phoenix 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    We have packers at Walmart, they're choice, but I've never had a complaint.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    It took me a week to get my KCBS card in the mail
  • chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    I thought of that too...but I've only ever seen flats at our Wal-Mart.  I guess I need to move!
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    Lit said:
    Hmmm...guess that may eliminate option #2.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited June 2016
    Options

Where are you located maybe someone is local and can help?

Ignore this I can't read

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Local butcher?  I just got to Cash & Carry for briskets. Last one was a Costco Prime. Didn't really notice much of a difference, taste wise, over the Selects we normally get....what i did notice was the increase in waste over the Selects from Cash & Carry. Took out a package of leftovers to put in the beans. It was part of the point. Wife and I don't care much for the taste and texture of fat. Half the package went in the trash...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I happened to find this:
    http://wholey.com/colorado-beef-brisket/

...they say you can pick it up in Pittsburg.   Might be worth a call to see if they have them and how much to buy in the store.  If it is $80 for 14 that is pretty pricey if it is just a choice packer.  Usually the packers are untrimmed and you will trim away 2-3 lbs of fat. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Check out Gordon Food Service.  Google says there's one in Pittsburgh. They should have packers.  It's like RD lite. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Great call with GFS -  SRF, in addition to the $$, will cost extra in shipping to get it to you in time to thaw for prep and Sat cook as they arrive rock solid even with the standard shipping.  But your $$ and your call.  If going SRF I would talk with them before placing the order just to make sure you get it in time.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options

Walmart/Sam's Club typically have the Excel brand of packers usually with pretty good prices.   Excel is a brand name for Cargill Meat Solutions (Wichita, KS) has what I consider quality meat.  Not as quality as your local butcher, but good none-the-less.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Lit said:
    @chadpsualum ,
    I have found the managers of the RD stores to be very helpful.  I'll bet if you went to the store and asked to speak with the manager, he'd give you a day pass.  Tell him that you will probably be joining KCBS but wanted to see about the quality of the meat at RD.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Local butcher?  I just got to Cash & Carry for briskets. Last one was a Costco Prime. Didn't really notice much of a difference, taste wise, over the Selects we normally get....what i did notice was the increase in waste over the Selects from Cash & Carry. Took out a package of leftovers to put in the beans. It was part of the point. Wife and I don't care much for the taste and texture of fat. Half the package went in the trash...
    Man I would gross you out. I LOVE the fatty parts. I leave extra fat on when I cook them. 

Little Rock, AR

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    RD will give almost anyone with a pulse a day pass. Just tell them you forgot your card or you are considering shopping there for your office break room or church. They are not in the sales prevention business. They will let you in. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    Shiff said:
    Lit said:
    @chadpsualum ,
    I have found the managers of the RD stores to be very helpful.  I'll bet if you went to the store and asked to speak with the manager, he'd give you a day pass.  Tell him that you will probably be joining KCBS but wanted to see about the quality of the meat at RD.
    @Shiff

That's kinda what I was thinking.  I did join KCBS yesterday (can't hurt for future purchases) and now have a member #.  Although I don't have the card I may saunter on down there and see what happens.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    RD will give almost anyone with a pulse a day pass. Just tell them you forgot your card or you are considering shopping there for your office break room or church. They are not in the sales prevention business. They will let you in. 
    When I forget my card, they do look it up in the computer to check it. 

Otherwise, I agree with you.
    NOLA
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    buzd504 said:

@buzd504

What do they look up...your member #?  If so, I have that now (just no card yet).  I should be good right?
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited June 2016
    Options
    buzd504 said:

@buzd504

What do they look up...your member #?  If so, I have that now (just no card yet).  I should be good right?
    No - I meant my actual restaurant depot card.  I have one through work.  I just have to give them the company name, and I'm listed on the account.

But they really will give a card to pretty much anyone.  You can show them a business checkbook (any business) and they'll let you join.

But if you have a KCBS number, or a receipt you can print, I bet they would accept that too.
    NOLA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    buzd504 said:

@buzd504

They are lazy at mine. That's when I realized that anyone could get in. We do have a card but on the rare occasion we don't have it with us they just waive us in. Im sure if you told them you were thinking about starting a good a food truck or ran your church/office commissary you could get a pass just about any location.  It would only work once or twice but it will get you the packer you desire for this cook. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I used smart and final for whole packers before at bargain prices amd with good results.   And i secomd what @blasting indicated.   If you go the RD route you will be happy.   Call them and see if they can get you a registration number ahead of your welcome packet and card arriving in the mail.   Its a little extra time on your part but well worth it.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    A few different local eggers have mentioned that Restaurant Depot a few towns over from me is membership free. The only one in the country that doesn't require a membership I believe. It has something to do with city restrictions and membership. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    A few different local eggers have mentioned that Restaurant Depot a few towns over from me is membership free. The only one in the country that doesn't require a membership I believe. It has something to do with city restrictions and membership. 
    @WeberWho , where are you located?
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Shiff said:
    WeberWho said:
    @WeberWho , where are you located?
    Twin Cities. I've been told the Restaurant Depot in Brooklyn Center (Suburb of Minneapolis) is membership free. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    I just bought a 13# packer (today) at Tom Fridays Market. It's in Brighton heights on California Ave.  $4.49/# if I remember correctly. 
  • steel_egg
    Options
    If you call ahead by a day or 2 he will order whatever you want. He will even trim it for you if you don't have the time but the price jumps up. 
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    @steel_egg

Awesome recommendation.  I just called Mr. Friday and he has a couple of sides coming in tomorrow so he's going to hook me up!  I'll make sure I tell him you sent me (if he knows who steel_egg is lol).
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • steel_egg
    Options
    @steel_egg

Awesome recommendation.  I just called Mr. Friday and he has a couple of sides coming in tomorrow so he's going to hook me up!  I'll make sure I tell him you sent me (if he knows who steel_egg is lol).
    Lol. I doubt it. The funny thing is that I went there as a kid with my mom for years. It wasn't until I started working across the river that I thought about it again. Been buying a few briskest there recently. No complaints.