Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting your fire

Has anyone ever used this product?
  • Fatwood is harvested from the stumps of pine trees that contain a high concentration of natural resin
  • Fatwood is 100 percent natural, with no chemical or additives
  • User friendly, safe, clean and non-toxic, Indoor or outdoor use
  • SCS Green Cross certified
  • Great for use in barbecues, campfires, wood stoves, fire pits, pellet stoves, chimneys, coal stoves, fireplaces

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

And what is your role in the company?

Phoenix 
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    ^ lol
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • GYMRITE
    GYMRITE Posts: 4
    I don't work for this company? I use these to start my fire in my Buck Stove, since they say they are natural I was wondering if anyone has tried them.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited June 2016
    I used them when I had a wood stove and they worked great. 

That said, it's loaded with resin......and I would not want that getting into my lump. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Pine trees do not give of the best tasting smoke. Just my opinion
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I suppose if one liked the taste of pine resin, and there are people who do, they'd be OK.

The Egg slowly gets an internal crust of soot, grease, and smoke residue. Eventually, one needs to do a clean burn or everything tastes smokey. My guess is that fatwood, resin impregnated pine AFAIK, residue would be very noticeable.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I used them when I had a wood stove and they worked great. 

That said, it's loaded with resin......and I would not want that getting into my lump. 

I wouldn't go near this stuff for my egg.
    NOLA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Jstroke said:
    Pine trees do not give of the best tasting smoke. Just my opinion
    It taste like Gin.....which taste like pine. GYMRITE said:
    Has anyone ever used this product?
    • Fatwood is harvested from the stumps of pine trees that contain a high concentration of natural resin
    • Fatwood is 100 percent natural, with no chemical or additives
    • User friendly, safe, clean and non-toxic, Indoor or outdoor use
    • SCS Green Cross certified
    • Great for use in barbecues, campfires, wood stoves, fire pits, pellet stoves, chimneys, coal stoves, fireplaces
    I use fat lighter (as we call it down south) to start my fire pit. No way you put that stuff in an egg. Oh and down here....a stroll through the forest and you can harvest that stuff for free. Of course you need to watch out for the snakes :o
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    my granny used that method for years, but then all we had to do was walk outside and find a stump to get some "fat lighterd" as it was called
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    great for fires, bot for the BGE.  tried them a long time ago.  they burn too long, even if cut up.

i used the remainder of them this past winter for the fireplace, and they worked great.

was a 'fail' in the BGE though
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• GYMRITE
    GYMRITE Posts: 4
    Good info, thanks
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Weed burner works in less than a minute in both Larges and Mini-Max. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I would not use that in my egg. Pine and Eggs don't mix. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@GYMRITE   If you are not a part of that company and that was a legit first post, I apologize for being a smartas.  And welcome to the forum.

Phoenix 
  • Spooner
    Spooner Posts: 12

I agree with most.

It is great for starting a fire in a wood heater, fireplace, campfire etc... I use it all the time in the winter and while camping.

I'm from the South and I find that stuff easy enough just taking a walk in the woods here. I call it pine lighter. It has a great aroma to it unburned that I like.

I know I wouldn't use it in my egg or any grill I'm about to cook over though.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Never in the egg, pretty obvious.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I would not use them for any fire for food or an indoor fireplace. Neighbor's chimney caught on fire, fire cheif said it was likely due to the massive amount of resin build up of using fatwood to start fires which they had done in a two year period. Outside fire pits only, works great.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    Fat lighter is a nice fire starter for heat. You can light it with a Bic in a few seconds if it's good.