Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first low & slow chicken

13»

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    I've cooked jerk chicken low and slow. About 2-2 1/2 hours at 275. Tender as can be. 

4 Hours seems like a long time to me. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    We made two chickens the usual way - raised direct (one raised more than the other) about 375 dome.  They came out great.

I'm doing low and slow next.  I love chicken.  It's very versatile. 
    NOLA
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    I've done a few low 'n' slow chickens. Time consuming but worth it.

Let the temp climb to 200° in the leg. I have to use two spatulas to get it off the grill. It tends to fall apart.

Moist and flavorful.

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Lots of people getting rubbery skin that way. 

anyway, the cook is no easier in an hour. We still only lift the lid twice

No rubbery skin doing direct. But yeah it's all cooking. Do what works for ya
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    cheeaa said:
    Lots of people getting rubbery skin that way. 

anyway, the cook is no easier in an hour. We still only lift the lid twice

No rubbery skin doing direct. But yeah it's all cooking. Do what works for ya
    you can get rubbery skin direct.  lots of ways to avoid it though.

it's a common complaint actually
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    I used to get rubbery skin doing indirect, even at high heat but since doing direct, I've had no problems. Guess this is my way to avoid it :)