Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looftlighter

hello everyone ! I'm looking to buy a looftlighter. Is it worth the investment? Is it really faster (I use 3 firestarters on my LBGE)? Thanks for your info !
Roberval, Qc, Canada

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    I'm ready to cook in 5 minutes using the Looftlighter. 
  • I personally don't think it's worth the investment and there are cheaper alternatives. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Go to harbor freight and get one of the $20 propane weed burning torches. You'll be up to temp in no time at all, and a third of the price of the looftlighter. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    At what temp?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited June 2016
    Yes!  Love my Looftlighter.  Worth the investment.  Much faster than wax firestarters.
    MAAP and Weed-burners are also an option, but I have an electric outlet near my Egg, so I prefer the Looftlighter.
  • I love my Looftilghter. I've had mine for about 4 years. I'll replace when it dies.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I've used the looft a dozen times personally and sold dozens of them at our store. Everyone who has one is very pleased. I will say they work much better than I had thought they would. 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    I liked mine, but it died after 3 years. I replaced it with a MAPP torch. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    i love mine as well!  no issues.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    I've used the looft a dozen times personally and sold dozens of them at our store. Everyone who has one is very pleased. I will say they work much better than I had thought they would. 
    Is the cordless out yet?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    I've had mine about 4 years.  I like it, would/will buy another. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Looftlighter is a great item to have.    I burned one up already.   You can get similar results from a cheap hair dryer on the hot setting.  Granted a looftlighter kicks out higher temp air to ignite but with certain things i like to save money.  So at goodwill i picked up a cheap hair dryer thatnhas the high heat setting for $3 and i have a large bowl of free matches that were picked up from various restaurants, clubs and bars i visited so, a little rubbing alcohol on a paper towel to ignite and once theres a little bit of orange on a piece of lump the the hair dryer comes out and cranks it up in no time

I am not trying to talk you out of a looftlighter here, they are great.  But for the money savings and just for kicks, i tried this alternative method and it worked really well.   90% of my cooks are started with a chimney starter amd a wad of newspaper or a weber lighter cube.   
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    At what temp?
    450F.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I love mine, had it for about two years now. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I love mine. I had a Joe Blow and the the loof works way better lights fast and better built.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Mithrandir
    Mithrandir Posts: 36
    Thanks a lot! I think i'm gonna buy one. It will be useful for week days cooks!
    Roberval, Qc, Canada
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    weedburner--25.00 cant melt the end
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Learn from my mistake - read the instructions. It's easy to melt the end off your looftlighter. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• I ,unbeknownst to me, bought a knock off on Amazon for about $10 cheaper than the Looftlighter brand. It lasted for about 8 cooks and went dead. Be real careful if you are looking on Amazon as mine appeared to be the real deal based on the description and photos. 
  • Tony_T

http://www.looftlighter.com/warranty/

Please read the instructions carefully:

1. LIGHT
    Touch the charcoal with the tip of the Looftlighter
    2. PULL BACKWARDS
    When sparks or glow appear
    3. CONTINUE
    To aim the air flow towards the same spot

IMPORTANT
    The charcoal and wood quickly reaches very high temperatures with the Looftlighter and the radiant heat from the charcoal/wood will turn back and be absorbed by the Looftlighter. This is why the outer tube (with the hole pattern) is made of aluminum, and it’s only purpose is being a heat shield.
    The advantage of aluminum is that it does not absorb heat to dangerous levels, and also cools quickly. But the disadvantage of aluminum is that it can melt if the Looftlighter is kept touching the charcoal/wood, and this is why it’s so important to slightly pull it away when sparks or glow appear.

So, if you haven’t followed the above instructions, and kept the tip of the Looftlighter touching the charcoal or wood for too long (so the aluminum got damaged), we’re sorry to say that the warranty does not cover this.

• Bert2015
    Bert2015 Posts: 50
    Tony, my looft has melted to the screen, so you are right, pull it away. Still works great though
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    I am of the Mapp gas camp. No extension cords.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Tony_T
    edited June 2016
    No extension cord needed for my Looftlighter.
    MAPP? No tanks ;)