Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What should a newbie start out with?

michael
michael Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I get my large egg tomorrow. Im a rookie when it comes to smokers. All i have is the 20 lb lump charcoal bag. Should i start out with burgers, hot dogs, maybe a whole chicken? Nothing too complicated just something where i can nodd my head and say to myself "wow this is good", "glad I invested the money".

Comments

• Jimbob
    Jimbob Posts: 54
    Michael,[p] Any of the above that you mentioned will be great. I think that I did a Beer Butt chicken for the first cook. Burgers were probably my second meal. What ever you decide, it will be great. Enjoy
  • JIMBOB,[p] i agreee,,,,any of your choices will be great,,,,,but the burgers will turn out juicy as heck,,,,and if you want to go with the beer can chicken,,,,LOOK OUT!!! will be a home run instantly.
    if you are brave,,,do a high heat steak sear right away,,,nothing like it,,,including most restaurants!!! and it's not that hard.

• I started with a chicken, some corn in the husk, and some sliced sweet potatoes (not new to grilling).[p]What a difference an egg makes![p]Next day did a London Broil and it was the best I ever made. 700 degree sear on both sides and then a few minutes to the best, fullest rare broil I ever cooked...[p]Can't wait till tomorrow!

• Michael,[p]I fired right up hot and quick with a nice cut of buffalo skirt steak. A thin layer of olive oil, fresh ground pepper and Maldon Sea Salt was all it took for me to become 'one' with the cult Egg following.........Just do what you think is right for the moment. Experiment with your new tool and learn the difference between a long and slow cook vs. a hot and firey sear, and how to manage your heat source........you too will soon become addicted......Eggcitable Boy