Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Both my eggs...

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Keeping the brisket clean while my 2 awesome eggs get up to temp. Will be doing some yardbird on one of them later. 

You Brisket Gods make me sick :D

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Last run on the deck too. Been watching it like a hawk all day and spraying the deck down every 15-20 minutes. I looked up and noticed my pool was a foot low all the sudden- ran down and a hose had come off the pump. 3000 gallons of water all in the yard. Took the hose down to refill the pool, came back up and found a straggler had gotten out and melted the deck a little. We have fire retardant decking or I wouldn't do this at all but this is enough of a sign for me. Out to the driveway with this one until/unless I figure out a plan I'm comfortable with

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Last run on the deck too. Been watching it like a hawk all day and spraying the deck down every 15-20 minutes. I looked up and noticed my pool was a foot low all the sudden- ran down and a hose had come off the pump. 3000 gallons of water all in the yard. Took the hose down to refill the pool, came back up and found a straggler had gotten out and melted the deck a little. We have fire retardant decking or I wouldn't do this at all but this is enough of a sign for me. Out to the driveway with this one until/unless I figure out a plan I'm comfortable with

I have a few of those on my deck. I got a lot more careful with the weedburner after I found those.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Foghorn said:
    So, that thing washes your grilling tongs and platesetter, etc?
    It does all kinds of things. perhaps you will get to play with it in the near future. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @The_Cen_Tex _Smoker - As you are beyond well aware, good call with the relocation plan.  Even temperamental dishwashers will spew forth something dangerous to the remainder of the environment.  
    Related, please post a pic of the meteorite-wanna make sure you get a cleansing hose job with this rig.  No water-marks and completely dry-end to end.   ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I cant wait to use it to wash my sausage
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Options

#firstworldproblems
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    To paraphrase the great Jeff Spicoli:  If I'm there, and you're there, dosen't that make it our  sausage?
  • 20stone
    Options
    20stone said:
    To paraphrase the great Jeff Spicoli:  If I'm there, and you're there, dosen't that make it our  sausage?
    (speechless)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    lousubcap said:
     but regardless it will be epic... 

@lousubcap   Thank you for not saying "irregardless"  

@The Cen-Tex Smoker  love the thread.  enjoy your eggs and...
    Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options

CT,
    Priced out my 6' x 6' slab at Lowe's with some Play Sand and 12" x 12"  pavers for $1.78 each, 36 total. A great deal.  I will checker both red and gray.  6 bags of sand $19.  Whole project will be easily south of $100.

Even contemplated the close to half inch Hardibacker 3' x 5'(2 to make 6' x 5')  boards for $25 total as a half-ass solution.  Could easily lay over your deck before setup, and stow after tear down.

We had a water submerged sample in the lumber dept.  Damn thing looked the same 5 years later after nursing school.

Food for thought bud.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Focker said:

CT,
    Priced out my 6' x 6' slab at Lowe's with some Play Sand and 12" x 12"  pavers for $1.78 each, 36 total. A great deal.  I will checker both red and gray.  6 bags of sand $19.  Whole project will be easily south of $100.

Even contemplated the close to half inch Hardibacker 3' x 5'(2 to make 6' x 5')  boards for $25 total as a half-ass solution.  Could easily lay over your deck before setup, and stow after tear down.

We had a water submerged sample in the lumber dept.  Damn thing looked the same 5 years later after nursing school.

Food for thought bud.
    Yeah -we are looking at stuff like that. It would be better to be able to cook out here but this is another level of sketchy being on an elevated deck close to the house. You really have to check on it every half hour so it's not like you can leave or take a nap. Still- way More live fire than a BGE.. Did I mention I love my BGE? :smiley:
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @blasting -  I lost that word many decades ago.  
    But since I'm here in a total thread hi-jack, the word I have wanted banished from the language for longer than I can remember is "assume".  It is a cop-out that facilitates the user.  It is an enabler, interpret things as you want/wish them to be.  And that interpretation is likely not the true reality and certainly will skirt the tough issue that, in most cases will include a potential uncomfortable situation or scenario.  Thus the "assumer" shirks the responsibility of pursuing the correct answer.  Off the soap-box.
    And to all-I apologize for the hi-jack but the window of opportunity was opened.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Focker said:

CT,

Food for thought bud.
    Yeah -we are looking at stuff like that. It would be better to be able to cook out here but this is another level of sketchy being on an elevated deck close to the house. You really have to check on it every half hour so it's not like you can leave or take a nap. Still- way More live fire than a BGE.. Did I mention I love my BGE? :smiley:
    Even the 1/4" Hardibacker would work with deck support in a pinch.  
    Kicked around the floating deck blocks....too spensive for this "Billy".

Kudos to you, saying Fock it after your first "run-in".  I respect that.  Always gave props to the skydivers who went up right after their first "mal" function cut away, having a CYPRES to fall back on.  BIG CAJONES.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

I got some stainless steel mesh (number 8 mesh I think it was) and cut/folded some guards I place on the sides of the firebox where the coal bed is to prevent runaway sparks/embers.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    So....?!?!?!?  How did it do washing the MEAT?!?!?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    Options
    Looks like $hit ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    You know that I only kid above. Fine looking slab of goodness right there. Right up there with Rons money.  

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Looks like $hit ;)
    SGH said:
    Looks like $hit ;)
    Good. I did t have enough to share with you anyway. 

It was incredible. That is a cool little unit. Would be unit .5 in your world but it's perfect for me. 
  • 20stone
    Options
    Incredible. Best I've ever made. Not even close 

Geez.  That dishwasher burns up your deck and didn't even clean off your brisket. There's all sorts of stuff caked on there. 

I could scrap it for you for a coupla bucks. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Awesome stuff!  Seems like it arrived quickly.  Glad to see you are up and running with it already.  Did you go 230ish the whole time?  How fast does it come up to temp, and could you get a sense for how long it stays warm? (maybe you could fit a little heater inside in case you passed out for too long and the wood ran out!)  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:
    I wish I was your neighbor.
    I think you have pretty fantastic neighbors already.

@The Cen-Tex Smokercan cook, but the late night parties and fireworks would get old.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Based on the looks of that brisket, stepping up to a new dishwasher was a good investment. I would so love to have one of those someday.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    Looks like $hit ;)
    SGH said:
    Looks like $hit ;)
    Good. I did t have enough to share with you anyway. 

It was incredible. That is a cool little unit. Would be unit .5 in your world but it's perfect for me. 
    Brother Tex, that's actually one of a very few units that I'm not familar with. However I did a little googling and it's a very interesting concept for sure. Pellet smoker convenience but with wood. Hope that you enjoy it. I have no doubt that you will put it to good use my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Awesome stuff!  Seems like it arrived quickly.  Glad to see you are up and running with it already.  Did you go 230ish the whole time?  How fast does it come up to temp, and could you get a sense for how long it stays warm? (maybe you could fit a little heater inside in case you passed out for too long and the wood ran out!)  
    Yeah 230-250 the whole time. Comes up to temp in 15 min. It has a thermostat so it stays warm
    as long as you feed it. It was a lot of work but I have 2 eggs to cook on when I want to pass out  

ill just say this- the fat cap and smoke profile were the holy grail for the style of brisket I like. TFJ and #2 son don't love BBQ. They both went back for seconds. My son's buddy had 3 Sammies and asked if I would make him one to take to work tomorrow. 

This is what perfectly rendered fat looks like. And it tastes even better. 

• SGH
    Options
    Here is a picture of them behind this random dishwasher I keep on the deck. 

Did you buy it new or used?

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Watcha got growing in your old base? Herbs?  Looks good brotha!  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Here is a picture of them behind this random dishwasher I keep on the deck. 

Did you buy it new or used?
    New. $1600 delivered to my door. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Damnit, I don't have room for another cooker. Time to pour that slab I guess. I wonder how it would stand up to weather? Not just monsoons, but the winter crap we put up with here north of the Mason Dixon.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker