Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stuff (son in law)

Options
RaySMS
RaySMS Posts: 42
Well, my son in law has a green egg at home and at his lake house.  I believe he even bought one for traveling in his business.  When he was here, he surprised me with a Green Egg.  Heck I never heard of it.  But I have been using it a few times a week.......He bought me a scraper for the cole and a grate picker upper thingy....LOL.....
Tonight I got home from vacation and he had ordered and had delivered a upper rack I have seen some of you showing off.
In addition, SMOKE it Like a Pro by Eric Mitchell.  WOW.....guess I am going to have to start reading on the toilet ROFL>

Comments

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Haha now that's a good son you have there - welcome to the egg family!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • RaySMS
    Options
    In the book, it talks about a few things I am unclear on.  Page 9.....its not clear to me.  Example: Firebox, is that the first line at the bottom where you lay the lump coal?......Page 11 talks about divots huh?
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Correct.  The firebox is the first ceramic piece you set in there that the grate lays upon.  Divots on page 11?  You sure it didn't say pivot?  All I could find from the manual was about greasing the pivot points on the hinges periodically.  And btw, I must say, you have the best son in law of all time apparently.  
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    And just to clarify, by grate, I'm talking about the fire grate.  Not your cooking grate up top
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. You've got a good SIL
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day.  Great S-I-L for sure.
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Nice introduction. Welcome and happy smokin!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RaySMS
    Options
    No it does say DIVOT.  3 of them, make one in the rear (that is where it burns the hottest and 2 toward the front opposite each other.  You light them and once caught lower lid leaving the daisy wheel open.  Should reach 300 in 10 to 15 min if you need to relight, burp and relight each divot.  He doesn't really explain the divots that well so all I can think is it is just a piling of lump coal making a tunnel for the fire in each.

• RaySMS
    Options
    Tried to upload a picture of the document from the book but it didn't take

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I think it's talking about the notches in the fire ring.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Wait, no, you can't light those.

grab a beer, toss the manual.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Sounds like your daughter married well.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    The divots mentioned sound like places to light the lump.

I make small divots (indentions) in my lump near the back of the egg, at somewhere close to 11, 12, and 1 o'clock.  Then I place a twisted and tied paper towel (with a little veg oil on them in each divot. 

Light the paper towels and you will get an evenly distributed fire started in the egg.

As always, there are many ways to accomplished a stable fire, but this is one method.  Hope it helps !!

And...welcome and happy eggdiction !!!

Thanks,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Hes talking about how to set the fire ring. Place it where one leg of the plate setter is at 12 oclock. That is typically a hot spot on the egg and it helps prevent something burning at the back of the egg. Good luck!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    RaySMS said:
    No it does say DIVOT.  3 of them, make one in the rear (that is where it burns the hottest and 2 toward the front opposite each other.  You light them and once caught lower lid leaving the daisy wheel open.  Should reach 300 in 10 to 15 min if you need to relight, burp and relight each divot.  He doesn't really explain the divots that well so all I can think is it is just a piling of lump coal making a tunnel for the fire in each.

gamason...In RaySMS post above, he mentions lighting the divots.....I think he may be referring to divots in the bed of lump instead of the cutouts in the ceramic fire ring.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I really suck as a son-in-law.  

Maybe I could get some pointers for my daughter (for later on) on how to pick up the ultimate guy.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site