Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it OK to leave a weed burner hooked up to the propane tank?

Options
I loved Mickey's weed burner pictures so much I'm thinking about getting one for actually burning weeds...as well as lighting the Large Egg. OK to leave it set up?
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I do, but I turn the valve off at the tank.  Mine is stored outdoors.

Phoenix 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    blasting said:

I do, but I turn the valve off at the tank.  Mine is stored outdoors.

Same here. Hooked up to the tank, left outside, no cover. I also turn the valve on the tank off after each use. Its been like that for 3 years or so. 

If you sign up for Harbor Freight coupons, you will  get a 20% off coupon at some time, which you can use to get a weedburner. 

Have you considered getting a MAP torch? The weedburner is overkill for lighting a mini (for me at least). 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @caliking: Oh yes, I saw the photo of the scorched Mini handle! MAP for the Mini and the Small! Or the small charcoal chimney (thanks for that one!). I actually have grasses and weeds popping up in my entirely bricked back yard, and a small wagon for the propane tank while I burn them to death. I will only use it on the Large Egg, if I get up the courage.

And hey, I'm still waiting for that picture!
    Judy in San Diego
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I do too. I forget to turn the valve off 3/4 of the time too. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • caliking
    Options
    Have you considered this?
    Mag-Torch MT 450 Garden Torch, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DSKEP4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jzRBxbSVQ6FEV

More res expensive than a weedburner, but much more convenient. 

And my bad about the picture :) I will take care of that. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    caliking said:
    Have you considered this?
    Mag-Torch MT 450 Garden Torch, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DSKEP4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jzRBxbSVQ6FEV

More res expensive than a weedburner, but much more convenient. 

And my bad about the picture :) I will take care of that. 

The BernzoMatic JT850 is the same thing.  Works well for me. 

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    FYI: I read in a review on Amazon that using one of those smaller units was just so-so until it was connected to a 20-gal. propane tank. Then it really roared. 
    Judy in San Diego
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I leave mine hooked up but I turn the valve off while it's still burning and let the gas burn out of the line. Not sure why I do this but always have.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    @shtgunal3: That's how you shut off Map gas from the cylinder, too. That's the official way to do it.
    Judy in San Diego
  • caliking
    Options
    FYI: I read in a review on Amazon that using one of those smaller units was just so-so until it was connected to a 20-gal. propane tank. Then it really roared. 
    Never mind then. I don't have one of those smaller ones, but always thought it would be nice to not have a big propane tank to lug around.