Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Scotland Vacation

Options
Woody
Woody Posts: 125
I have the good fortune of having won last year's St. Andrews Old Course and will be playing there next month.  Actually be there about 6 days and playing golf 3 of them.  Flying in and out of Edinburgh.
What other must sees are there within a few hours drive of that area?
Woody in Northville, MI
Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    You suck

=) 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Play Kingsbarn.. It is great. (..better than "new course"). Are you looking for site seeing or golf courses? 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I hate golf... To me is a pointless game. However congrats on the awesome win and fun journey. 

You should wear a kilt while playing ... Pics or it didn't happen
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Nice. I'd try to pick up some Sterling pronto and save some cash. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    My wife and I drove from Aberdeen Scotland down into Leeds England last year. Beautiful country. We stayed in Edinburgh, Scotland for a few days. The town is stunning. If you have 3-4 hours definitely take the castle tour. Lots of history in that place. If I had more time I could have spent an hour or two in just the museum. Bolten Abbey in North Yorkshire, England is one of the most beautiful and peaceful places I've ever been. The church is breathtaking and the views of the property are amazing. Unfortunately it's 3 plus hours south of Edinburgh. Definitely worth checking out if you find yourself in England

I'm super jealous. It will be a blast!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Be nice to pickup a few bottles of some 12-15 year old single malt while you are there!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • rob75in
    rob75in Posts: 26
    Options
    What ever you do you have to try their square sausage! It's like a beef patty but square! Have it for breakfast! Yum yum. If you want to impress ask for Lorne sausage.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    as weber who stated - take the castle tour....great lore and history there....found myself hanging out in some of the old pubs and taking in the character...never find anything like that in the states....have a pint for me....fwiw

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I visited these three castles when I was there, each were pretty awesome:

http://www.glamis-castle.co.uk/index.cfm    
    It's 28 miles north of Edinburgh.

The Queen's Scotland residence is located in Edinburgh:
    https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visit/palace-of-holyroodhouse

Also this:
    http://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/visit

St. Andrew's itself (the town) is fantastic as well, not to mention the golf course! Enjoy your trip!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    sorry I left the info out but Edinburgh castle was the one I toured

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I want to hate you, but given my present location it seems hypocritical. 
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    Edinburgh is beautiful and there's lots to see there - check out an online itinerary for all the usual stuff. Research some good pubs too. I visit annually for the August comedy festival. 

Can you get to the highlands? Great for some days of walking. Lake District also very nice. What month are you going? Scotland isn't known for good weather. 

There are English towns you could drive to such as Manchester and Liverpool but there's plenty to see in Scotland. If you're heading south maybe make the most of the time and stay a night somewhere rather that try and do it in a day. 
  • Woody
    Options
    Thank you all for the great suggestions.  Sorry been offline for a few days due to other commitments.
    We will be in Scotland the week of July 10th.  Playing golf Monday Tuesday Thursday so only really have Wednesday and Friday to maybe get a little further from the St. Andrew's/Carnoustie Area.
    Definitely plan to spend some time in Edinburgh and see what my son thinks of the other areas.
    Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    As another poster mentioned, spend a little time in the town. Very charming with interesting ruins. Grab a meat pie at a bakery. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Woody
    Options
    Definitely plan to spend some time in St. Andrew's.  We will be there three nights so lots of time to check St. Andrew's out including (2) of the top five pubs associated with golf in the world as rated by a couple of the golf publications.
    Also planning to spend at least one day in Edinburgh doing the Castle, wondering the town, etc.
    Woody in Northville, MI
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I lived in Scotland for 2 years working in the tourism industry, so I think I may be able to help you out! What types of things do you like to do on vacation? 

One thing i recomend to everyone going through Edinburgh is to climb to the top of Arthur's Seat. The view from the top looking out over Edinburgh is second to none, and it's an easy hike if you're in 1/2 decent shape. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Go listen to as much live local music as you can.   It is life changing
  • Woody
    Options
    Looks like I only really have 1 day to venture out from the St. Andrew's area and back to Carnoustie by 10:30 the following day.
    Like to do a little hiking and sight seeing.  Already planning to do a castle or two and Edinburgh.  Will plan to go up to Arthur's Seat.
    Was thinking maybe Loch Lomond and the Trossach's but not really sure what area to start out while there, whether to take a guided trip if you can suggest a good company or do it on our own.  Taking a teenage son and we have not done anything like this so I am struggling a bit.
    Woody in Northville, MI
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    One of my best friends lives just outside of Edinburgh and we have done several fun hikes while there. 

The last time we were there we hiked the Hermitage and Braan Walk, near Dunkeld.  There are beautiful waterfalls and you can see the salmon jumping in some areas.   We also walked around in Killiecrankie at Garry Bridge.  I recommend both.

You can see some of my photos HERE

Have a great trip! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Woody
    Options
    Those look nice and are near to the area we are in.
    Thank you, looks like you had a great time.
    Woody in Northville, MI
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Haggis at the Whiski rooms in Edinburgh. It was fantastic.  I would pay $100 for a plate of it right now.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Woody said:
    I have the good fortune of having won last year's St. Andrews Old Course and will be playing there next month.  Actually be there about 6 days and playing golf 3 of them.  Flying in and out of Edinburgh.

@Woody.  Won as in the tournament or the vacation?
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Wardster said:

I was trying to guess that one as well! Great pics @NecessaryIndulg ! thanks for sharing the link - Def want to visit some day!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Everyone I know says their favorite course over there is Kingsbarn. Sounds like an awesome trip. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Options
    Kingsbarn is much better than the Old Course. No one would pay close to those green fees if it wasn't for the history. The New Course is very nice as well, but it's only 400 yrs old. 
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • Woody
    Options
    Wardster said:
    Woody said:

You can go online and apply to play at the Old Course.  They then in some manner select the "winners" in as they call it a lottery. Applications are due the end of August and we were notified of a spot in November.
    https://www.standrews.com/salt9/media/pdf-forms/advance reservations/2017-advance-reservations-booking-guidelines.pdf

Agree Kingsbairn was the other one we wanted to play.  But it has been a long time wish of my son's to play the old course.  Carnoustie for us was half the price and I figured Kingsbairn will give me reason to go back for a third visit.

Played Prestwich and preTrump Turnberry along with a Troon qualifying course Glasgow Gailes and a muni back in 97.  Our tour operator set us up with Monty for an hour chat in a pub.  Was a great trip.

My son's first trip abroad after playing on the high school golf team for 4 years should bring a lot of great memories.

Woody in Northville, MI