Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

building my first green egg! quick question.

Options
was wondering how tight should i screw the two bolts on the back that go around the egg? i don't want to over tighten it as i'm worried about possibly cracking the egg. can't wait to get this thing up and started. so on the first few cooks what degrees should i stay under to not crack the gasket? thanks for any help in advance

Comments

• Texag06ish
    Texag06ish Posts: 135
    Options
    BGE support told me to tighten it as much as possible. He said he'd never heard of anyone cracking the egg.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You'll break the bolt long before you break the ceramic.  They bolts should bend.  There's a torque specification for this somewhere.
    Options
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Tighten them as much as you can without going overboard.  Keep an eye to make sure your dome is still laying flat on the lower body so it doesn't have any leaks.

Regarding your temp for your first cook.  I just did a pork butt for like 10 hours at 250.  After that I did whatever I wanted.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• devildare
    devildare Posts: 5
    Options
    thank you everyone for the quick and prompt replies. looks like i will be on these forums more often! can't wait to start this thing up! thanks again
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Welcome, enjoy the madness. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Welcome. You are going to love this place. Make sure you put a lock on your wallet aswe love to spend your money.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• devildare
    devildare Posts: 5
    Options
    Welcome. You are going to love this place. Make sure you put a lock on your wallet aswe love to spend your money.
    haha my wallet is loose as long as the food taste great and i am assuming it will so there will be lots of money spent in the near future lol. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My band bolts are about like this.

Bought my egg nearly 7 years ago, assembled it myself and haven't touched 'em since. Except a year or so in when I installed mates.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Welcome!  I think what @Carolina Q showed is a pretty good depiction of how strong the ceramics are...enjoy your cooks!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Welcome to the madness!  I may be late to the party but 120 Inch Pounds/10 Foot Pounds is the recommended torque on the band bolts.  Remember to re-tighten them frequently.  The bands have a tendency to loosen after several cooks.  There have been too many horror stories of dome lids crashing to the floor...
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles