Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco During KJ Road Show = Dangerous

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    BigWader said:
    I wish costco had the KJ road show in Canada.
    Look at Lowes.  Price is about $550 Cdn.  Lots of times they have 10-15% off sales on everything in store and with the exchange on $399 USD and state sales tax you are probably about even without the drive plus get Canadian KJ warranty support...
    things in Canada may be different in this regard (tho I doubt it) but Kamado Joes bought at a Roadshow have the full Kamado Joe warranty and not just the Costco "if it breaks or you don't like it return it" policy.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    BigWader said:
    I wish costco had the KJ road show in Canada.
    Look at Lowes.  Price is about $550 Cdn.  Lots of times they have 10-15% off sales on everything in store and with the exchange on $399 USD and state sales tax you are probably about even without the drive plus get Canadian KJ warranty support...
    awesome, thanks for the tip!
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Is this a Yeti vs Rtic situation?

I am a big green egger through amd through.   I dont regret any of my bge purchases a used large, a new minimax and a new XL.   

Had bge delayed the mm delivery long enough for the kj jr to show up at a costco near me, i would have a joe jr and not a minimax right now

But at next local egg cookoffs at bbq store, i am looking to add another Large to the collection?..used once, assembled and full warranty
    I doubt kamado joe would be selling any units with their design being so close to bge if a legitimate and upheld challenge was made

However, Big Green Egg has name recognition that is only rivaled by weber in the grilling market and nobody in the ceramic grill market...
  • acmoser76
    acmoser76 Posts: 42
    Crap. Just checked the Costco special events schedule. There's a KJ roadshow starting today at one of the Costco's I frequent. This may end badly...
    Indianapolis, IN
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    acmoser76 said:
    Crap. Just checked the Costco special events schedule. There's a KJ roadshow starting today at one of the Costco's I frequent. This may end badly...
    Or end very well.  Glass half full, my friend.  B)
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • HeavyG
    acmoser76 said:
    Really...always look on the bright side of life...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    HeavyG said:
    acmoser76 said:
    Really...always look on the bright side of life...
    https://youtu.be/WlBiLNN1NhQ

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Glass half full, wallet completely empty.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Costco roadshow is underway in Southern Ontario (Can) now, not sure why it's not advertised in their web schedule.

Mississauga - earlier dates(?)
    North York - May 25 to June 5, 2016
    Burlington - June 7 to 19, 2016
    St. Catharines - June 21 to July 3, 2016
    Ancaster - August 16-28, 2016

Joe Jr.: $469.99  (current Lowes price is CAD 599)
    At today's exchange rate CAD 470 is about USD 363, +13% tax.

Classic Joe: $989.99
    Big Joe: $1599.99
    Kamado Joe Argentinean Organic Charcoal (2x20# bags): $39.99

Above info copied from here:
    http://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-kamado-joe-jr-classic-big-gta-downsview-burlington-st-catherines-ancaster-1989451/
    canuckland
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Costco roadshow is underway in Southern Ontario (Can) now, not sure why it's not advertised in their web schedule.

Mississauga - earlier dates(?)
    North York - May 25 to June 5, 2016
    Burlington - June 7 to 19, 2016
    St. Catharines - June 21 to July 3, 2016
    Ancaster - August 16-28, 2016

Joe Jr.: $469.99  (current Lowes price is CAD 599)
    At today's exchange rate CAD 470 is about USD 363, +13% tax.

Classic Joe: $989.99
    Big Joe: $1599.99
    Kamado Joe Argentinean Organic Charcoal (2x20# bags): $39.99

Above info copied from here:
    http://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-kamado-joe-jr-classic-big-gta-downsview-burlington-st-catherines-ancaster-1989451/
    I asked them on facebook if they get the KJ road show and they told me to look online.  nice to see you guys get it in the east, I wonder if there will be any love for the west
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    acmoser76 said:
    do it!!!!!!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    HeavyG said:
    I continually am amazed at how BGE never trademarked any of the design elements. I am not talking about patents. I simply mean trademark design (visual) elements

That thing is a red BGE. Same dimple pattern, profile, bevel at the bands, lower vent...

crazy
    Could they have even done that?

The BGE and other similar kamados are almost literal copies of kamados that existed for decades before BGE came into being.

Of course the basic design of kamados is much older but BGE literally copied kamados that were being sold in Japan to US military folks after WWII.

My dad was in the USN for 30+ years and we lived in Japan for 4 years in the 1960s. We had a "green egg" while living there and my dad bought two brand new ones to ship back to the US when he got orders stateside.

The only thing I recall being noticeably different was the surface texture. The surface texture of the KJ is possibly different enough from the BGE rounder dimples to avoid such potential concerns. Perhaps.
    The kamado itself is one thing. I'm talking about the design elements that contribute to the appearance

the dimples are nothing more than an awsthetic design decision. They are not a part of the process like they were when clay 'slip' was slapped on the earthenware pieces originally. That element is as old as the ceramics (or earthenware, i guess) making process. 

But the things are molded these days, in one piece. And the dimple pattern has changed over the years. It's purely aesthetic. And since they (BGE) came up with the dimple as a visual 'mark', they should have been able to trade mark it. 

Same for the bevel of the dome as it meets the band. ...and maybe some other aspects. 

I mean, grill done doesn't make them in green, right?

other kamados don't infringe (like the bubba leg for example) because they are so different

general kamado shape and fundamental elements wouldn't be trademarked. But non critical appearance related design elements and identifying marks, sure

A car company can't trademark having four wheels and a hood ornament. But they can trademark the design of their hood ornament (badge) and other elements which ID their brand 

Just seems odd. 

Obviously someone has done their homework though. Because a blatant ripoff wouldn't last long unless there was a loophole

i agree, can't trademark a kamado soecifically. But the appearance of it, brand-signifying stuff, shoulda been able to i'd think

I'm not so sure about the dimples. I believe them to be part of the structural integrity of the egg. Might want to research further. I'm not 100% sure, but I have a pretty good hunch. Like dimples on a golf ball, only for different reasons. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Didn't the owner and founder of KJ work for BGE? Bobby Brennan I think is his name? Guy who started Primo worked there too. These guys jump ship in a BIG way lmao!! 
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    yljkt said:
    Didn't the owner and founder of KJ work for BGE? Bobby Brennan I think is his name? Guy who started Primo worked there too. These guys jump ship in a BIG way lmao!! 
    Nope. Bobby never worked for BGE. He owned several and saw an opportunity...
  • yljkt
    bigbadben said:
    yljkt said:
    Nope. Bobby never worked for BGE. He owned several and saw an opportunity...
    Ok. My bad. I own several also and the thought of starting a business designing, producing, and marketing them gives me a headache. They seem to be doing ok though. 
  • HeavyG
    yljkt said:
    The founder of Primo did not work for BGE.

http://www.primogrill.com/en-us/explore/the-primo-story

• HeavyG

HeavyG said:
    I continually am amazed at how BGE never trademarked any of the design elements. I am not talking about patents. I simply mean trademark design (visual) elements

That thing is a red BGE. Same dimple pattern, profile, bevel at the bands, lower vent...

crazy

The BGE and other similar kamados are almost literal copies of kamados that existed for decades before BGE came into being.

Of course the basic design of kamados is much older but BGE literally copied kamados that were being sold in Japan to US military folks after WWII.

My dad was in the USN for 30+ years and we lived in Japan for 4 years in the 1960s. We had a "green egg" while living there and my dad bought two brand new ones to ship back to the US when he got orders stateside.

The only thing I recall being noticeably different was the surface texture. The surface texture of the KJ is possibly different enough from the BGE rounder dimples to avoid such potential concerns. Perhaps.
    The kamado itself is one thing. I'm talking about the design elements that contribute to the appearance

the dimples are nothing more than an awsthetic design decision. They are not a part of the process like they were when clay 'slip' was slapped on the earthenware pieces originally. That element is as old as the ceramics (or earthenware, i guess) making process. 

But the things are molded these days, in one piece. And the dimple pattern has changed over the years. It's purely aesthetic. And since they (BGE) came up with the dimple as a visual 'mark', they should have been able to trade mark it. 

Same for the bevel of the dome as it meets the band. ...and maybe some other aspects. 

other kamados don't infringe (like the bubba leg for example) because they are so different

general kamado shape and fundamental elements wouldn't be trademarked. But non critical appearance related design elements and identifying marks, sure

A car company can't trademark having four wheels and a hood ornament. But they can trademark the design of their hood ornament (badge) and other elements which ID their brand 

Just seems odd. 

Obviously someone has done their homework though. Because a blatant ripoff wouldn't last long unless there was a loophole

i agree, can't trademark a kamado soecifically. But the appearance of it, brand-signifying stuff, shoulda been able to i'd think

I'm not so sure about the dimples. I believe them to be part of the structural integrity of the egg. Might want to research further. I'm not 100% sure, but I have a pretty good hunch. Like dimples on a golf ball, only for different reasons. 
    I think the chances of the dimples being a necessary structural feature are pretty close to nil. Neither Primo or Grill Dome kamados have dimples or dimple like impressions in the surface of their moldings. Primos are made in a factory that used to make toilets. I've never seen dimpled toilets and I'm guessing Primo thought if toilets didn't have dimples why should their kamados eh?. :)

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    HeavyG said:

HeavyG said:

crazy

Just seems odd. 

I think the chances of the dimples being a necessary structural feature are pretty close to nil. Neither Primo or Grill Dome kamados have dimples or dimple like impressions in the surface of their moldings. Primos are made in a factory that used to make toilets. I've never seen dimpled toilets and I'm guessing Primo thought if toilets didn't have dimples why should their kamados eh?. :)

You might be right. But why just put dimples in them? For looks? Seems odd to me.  The primo surface seems to get increasingly rougher, or not smooth if you will. I would think that the dimples could help.  

So what you are saying is I'm stupid, because some Kamados don't have dimples and neither do toilets? 
  • Captain_Paul
    Captain_Paul Posts: 138

crazy
    It appears the BGE people came up with the idea to market, took the risk and put lots of money into developing the product, bringing it to market and then developing and paying to build that market. Then the KJ people called China and asked for a cheap duplicate and threw it into the market at a reduced price to gain their market share. I looked at and considered a JR. It looked nice but I just decided to pay a little more for the real McCoy since they took all the risks to build the whole market and still have the most established network and support base. I know this isn't a one vs the other thread but I noticed the same thing when I looked at it. Seems like they could have at least tried to establish their own identity. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    A regulation golf ball has 333 dimples.
    I'm not sure about Eggs or KJs...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'll be in Myrtle Beach in 7/1, with the KJ roadshow going through 7/3. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG said:

HeavyG said:

crazy

Just seems odd. 

You might be right. But why just put dimples in them? For looks? Seems odd to me.  The primo surface seems to get increasingly rougher, or not smooth if you will. I would think that the dimples could help.  

So what you are saying is I'm stupid, because some Kamados don't have dimples and neither do toilets? 
    I don't think I was saying that at all dude.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Botch said:
    A regulation golf ball has 333 dimples.
    I'm not sure about Eggs or KJs...
    Mine have more or less dimples depending on temp. 
  • yljkt
    HeavyG said:
    yljkt said:
    The founder of Primo did not work for BGE.

http://www.primogrill.com/en-us/explore/the-primo-story
    Another urban myth. Sorry man....
  • yljkt

HeavyG said:

HeavyG said:

crazy

Just seems odd. 

HeavyG said:

HeavyG said:

crazy

Just seems odd. 

Um...I know its Friday night but no one suggested that. At all.  
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I'll be in Myrtle Beach in 7/1, with the KJ roadshow going through 7/3. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Do it, it doesn't really hurt at all.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited June 2016

I think the included accessories tip the scales in favor of KJ - IF it wouldn't be for the color.  

No slam on those that have them, but I'd be reluctant to have a bright red grill on my patio.  

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    blasting said:

I think the included accessories tip the scales in favor of KJ - IF it wouldn't be for the color.  

No slam on those that have them, but I'd be reluctant to have a bright red grill on my patio.  

C'mon now...you know you would like one in each color...

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Grill Dome use to make a green one.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    smokeyj said:
    Grill Dome use to make a green one.
    tempted to get this used Grill Dome for $75  =) nay

canuckland